S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After Airfilter Change, Something Deftly Wrong!!! (FIXED)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 07:47 AM
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
Default After Airfilter Change, Something Deftly Wrong!!! (FIXED)

Gents and Ladies. I recently changed the airfilter on my 2005 STR from the standard one to a K & N. There was no obvious problem immediately, but now at a couple of weeks. She's idling High, the check engine light comes on, and then the infamous Limp Mode. DSC Unavailable, Cruise Control Unavailable, and lastly Parking Brake failure.

I'm also getting when she goes into gear, almost a missing at times as if the fuel to air ratio is out of wack. Has anyone experienced this before? I thought to reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery's negative terminal for a bit, however, I've done nothing and figured I'd ask some questions first, whereby, getting some better guidance then my own trial and error experimentation.

As the filter was new, I hadn't cleaned it or anything and before installing it. Rubbing and wiping my hands over it in conjunction with "shaking" it and leaving it on bedded paper towels for several days prior to installation produced any oil or excess oil.

Any suggestions before I take her into the hospital and let the Jagsters do it to me for a large amount again?? (I do have an extended warranty). I did replace the old air filter but am still seeing the same results.

Thoughts????

Old 10-16-2011, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Sorry to hear she's being cantankerous, Docuz - Before resetting, I'd get the codes read - AutoZone or similar will read them for you free - but get the numbers and come back here, don't necessarily take their word for what they mean. But from the range of stuff you mentioned...paticularly with parking brake fail coming in - my first thought was "weak/old battery" - have you changed it? If still the 05 OEM, I believe that's where I'd start, even so it is still starting the car.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Doc relax. You have a massive air/vaccume leak. The K&N a/f install was left with either the top of the airbox not properly secured to the bottom of box (gotta get those tabs inserted properly to make the seal) and/or the air intake tube is not fitted properly to either the airbox or tube running to throttle body. Check that the hose going from the air intake tube to cam cover vent is secure too. Go back over your work. If a correction is made and all lights go off...awesome! If not, grab codes and perform a hard re-set, as sometimes this is required following a correction.

Last edited by bfsgross; 10-16-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,937 Posts

Could be - but need not be - coincidence. Or, not the filter but some part of the intake which is slightly leaking, whether badly fitted or cracked. Could also be you moved some wiring which has decided to chafe or the like. And of course just about could be one of the usual suspect (bad battery, failing/contaminated coil, etc).

I'd start by checking the whole of the intake after the filter and putting an OEM filter in for peace of mind.

I'd also spend time with OBD. Check for CL (closed loop) running and what the fuel trims are at idle & 2500rpm. If they're lean at idle but not at 2500rpm you pretty well KNOW you have an air leak.

Without a good reason I'd not disconnect the battery, though most people get away with it (but see thread about monitors not setting!).

The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (10-16-2011)
Old 10-16-2011, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Hey Doc, just out of curiosity did you remove the excess oil from the K&N filter before installation? IF not I would definitely recommend to do so firstly; remove as much of the oil as possible, because the MAF sensor on our Jags are very sensitive(the oil would clog up the MAF sensor, causing havoc) . I would take some MAF cleaner and spray it all over inside the MAF sensor once its removed. Then install it back into place and put your filter back in once excess oil has been removed and make sure like everyone has already mentioned that the air box is completely sealed, no gaps anywhere, has to be 100% sealed tight. Plus check around the air box for any vacuum leaks. If that doesn't solve it, grab yourself a good OBD 2 scanner and check the codes. Good luck.

Last edited by jag79; 10-16-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agreed with the fact that the MAF could be contaminated with the oil coming from the filter, Just spray it with short burst with MAF cleaner... Good luck.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:27 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,702 Posts

When I first read this post the first thing I thought of was for you to check for leaks around the box and pipe to the TB and if that was not the problem to check the plug to the MAFS and TB. I had hopes that you would have posted the codes that caused the check engine light but have not seen it. Please tell us what you found.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Gus
When I first read this post the first thing I thought of was for you to check for leaks around the box and pipe to the TB and if that was not the problem to check the plug to the MAFS and TB. I had hopes that you would have posted the codes that caused the check engine light but have not seen it. Please tell us what you found.
I haven't had the chance to take the car to the Autozone yet to get the CODES. My schedule has been pretty full this past weekend and likely through Friday of this week. I think what I'd like to do is to buy a nice OBD reader; Any suggestions? In the meantime, I've pulled the cloak off of the Maserati to shuttle me around for the next 5 days or so. To all of you here, trust I will not do a thing until I get the codes so we can all share in the victory. Figure I'll get the codes to everyone here on Friday the 21st at some time that day and then we can all discuss in committee.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:35 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

That's a bummer David, having to slum it in the Maserati.

Post up the codes when you can.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member

elm327
usb version about $12 on ebay or some online stores
great value

Old 10-17-2011, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Mr. GoGoGadget (sorry guys you had to be at the Pa. meet to get that one ),

Here you go David awesome deal on this link: http://www.amazon.com/ElmScan-Compac...8858140&sr=8-1

I have this one and so does Chris (Vance580 and Joel). We like em'!

Plus free delivery.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member

Good enough.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Mr. GoGoGadget (sorry guys you had to be at the Pa. meet to get that one ),

Here you go David awesome deal on this link: Amazon.com: ElmScan 5 Compact USB OBD-II Scan Tool & OBDWiz Engine Diagnostic Software (423001): Automotive

I have this one and so does Chris (Vance580 and Joel). We like em'!

Plus free delivery.
Thanx Rick... I'm going to order this one, and... The high end one also. I've always paid someone to do this stuff for me but, I'm taking it up as a hobby now.

Jaguar Engine Module List

I figure, since we're all into this stuff, if I get the high end unit as well, and someone wants to borrow it, for shipping to and return + 10 bucks, we can all benefit. The 10 bucks can start to go towards a pool for ECU tunes etc.

Thoughts??

The following users liked this post:
Norri (10-17-2011)
Old 10-17-2011, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,211 Posts

You Da' Man David !

Old 10-17-2011, 02:51 PM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

That's a generous offer David.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Norri
That's a generous offer David.
I see it like this Norri. If someone wants a network that can integrate satellites with international delays, route IPV6, IPV4, uni or multicast streams of Video with no more that 15 seconds delay anywhere in the world, then I'm your aforemost expert. Where cars are concerned, surely there are many here who have more time and definitely more knowledge than myself.

Should those here with the knowledge, wisdom and skill, have access to the tool, very simply said, "WE ALL WIN". I want to make sure our Michael Jordan's have Basketballs in their hands rather than baseball bats so our team gets championships. Surely most of us can remember or look up, what happened when Jordan tried to do his thing with a baseball bat LOL.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member

I have both the AE (slightly earlier version) & elm327. The latter's OK for simple PCM stuff but that's where it ends. The AE is a huge step up.

When your AE turns up please post which pins it has in the connector as the earlier one manages NOT to follow the mandated OBD specs!! (But works in practice as jag do more than the minimum.)

Old 10-18-2011, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
I have both the AE (slightly earlier version) & elm327. The latter's OK for simple PCM stuff but that's where it ends. The AE is a huge step up.

When your AE turns up please post which pins it has in the connector as the earlier one manages NOT to follow the mandated OBD specs!! (But works in practice as jag do more than the minimum.)
Absolutely! I hadn't expected to order either of these devices until Friday of this week. I'm working 17 hour days right now and still having to run back and forth between here and NYC every other weekend, and.... spend every other Wednesday in Harrisburg PA on business.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member

It'll also be interesting to see how it describes your car's CAN - whether the EPB is on it or still on SCP. (You'll understand when you've played with it a bit.)

Old 10-19-2011, 06:10 AM

As Friday approaches, I figured I'd do some additional research and see what else gives. I found this 3 part article that addresses some scan tools and makes a suggestion for one. I'm presently looking into that one tool and trying to obtain more information about it as it pertains to "OUR" cars. The other info gathered will just be supplimental, but... This is a Jaguar Forum afterall....

Scan Tools vs Code Readers pt 1

Quick Reply: After Airfilter Change, Something Deftly Wrong!!! (FIXED)