S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Bag Warning Lamp

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Air Bag Warning Lamp

I have a nagging problem with my 2004 S-Type. Periodically, the air bag warning lamp will illuminate on the instrument panel. This is most common in warm weather, and happens infrequently in cooler weather. It will begin flashing, then after a time will burn steadily. There is no clear pattern to when this crops up. The car may go weeks without any problems, then it will get into a "mood" and flash everytime I drive. As stated, more of a nucience than anything, but I'd like to correct the problem. It's been going on now for over a year.

If anyone has encountered this problem, or knows of a resolution, I'd be interested to hear.

Cheers,

JD

Old 04-16-2009, 10:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my airbag warning light come on once. Well actually it didn't go off (it comes on when engine is started). I restarted the car and it went off properly. I've also seen this on other cars as well, so I think there can be an occasion where the "check" doesn't read correctly.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:03 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Hey JD, the airbag light is something that I have heard in other forums, may want to try a forum-wide search. If it flashes and then remains on, that's code for something.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2004 and some of the time when my fiancée sits in the passenger side the airbag light will flicker on and off (the light on the dash above the glove box). When she moves around it will go off. She is not very big maybe 110 pounds so I wonder if it is something with the sensor. Is this like the problem you are having?

Old 04-18-2009, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by stdjrm17
I have a 2004 and some of the time when my fiancée sits in the passenger side the airbag light will flicker on and off (the light on the dash above the glove box). When she moves around it will go off. She is not very big maybe 110 pounds so I wonder if it is something with the sensor. Is this like the problem you are having?
No, unfortunately, your problem sounds different than mine. The light on my car is the one in the instrument panel cluster. It sometimes begins flashing after the car is driven for awhile (sometimes almost immediately, sometimes not for hours) and then burns stedily. I have watched the lamp you mentioned, and it seems to behave normally. Thanks for your response.

JD

Old 04-18-2009, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by h20boy
Hey JD, the airbag light is something that I have heard in other forums, may want to try a forum-wide search. If it flashes and then remains on, that's code for something.
Thanks; I've done some other reading, and it appears that it will take a reader to sort out the codes. To your knowledge, is the dealership the only one who can read the codes and/or diagnose, or can an independent perform the service? If so, are there any competent ones here in the D/FW area? We moved here from San Antonio about a year ago, and am still largely unfamilar with the area.

Thanks!

JD

Old 04-19-2009, 11:21 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Most likely the "spiral cassette" or cancellation module.

Covered here - http://www.jaguarforum.co.uk/viewtop...0&hilit=spiral
and a number of other times.
Note - the number of flashes are a code for those that do not open the link.

Hope that helps.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by 12RM
Most likely the "spiral cassette" or cancellation module.

Covered here - http://www.jaguarforum.co.uk/viewtop...0&hilit=spiral
and a number of other times.
Note - the number of flashes are a code for those that do not open the link.

Hope that helps.
Thanks, 12RM, for the link; it hit the nail on the head! Coincidentally, the code that was addressed in that link (19) is the same one I'm experiencing. So, it appears to indeed be a spiral cassette, as you indicate.

Now, is this something that is easily replaced, or strictly a dealer-only repair? I prefer to do all the work I can myself, and would rather invest in manuals and tools rather than pay the dealership service department. If it is a component that rests underneath the steering wheel, then I suppose it should be fairly easy to replace.

Are there any Jaguar service technicians out there who can give me some advice whether to "DIY", or schedule an appointment?

Thanks,

JD

Old 04-20-2009, 11:16 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

JD, next time something comes up and you need an OBDII reader, let me know. My autoengenuity scanner (for the PC/Windows) has the enhanced codes and can read subsystems like ABS, airbags, seat modules etc.

Looks like you know what you need. There are lots of guys who can get you parts...jagtechohio, jag_genious, and ken@britishparts. If you go to the dealer (autobahn), ask for Lee; he is a really good guy and he'll take care of you the best he can.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by h20boy
JD, next time something comes up and you need an OBDII reader, let me know. My autoengenuity scanner (for the PC/Windows) has the enhanced codes and can read subsystems like ABS, airbags, seat modules etc.

Looks like you know what you need. There are lots of guys who can get you parts...jagtechohio, jag_genious, and ken@britishparts. If you go to the dealer (autobahn), ask for Lee; he is a really good guy and he'll take care of you the best he can.
Thanks for the offer; I'll keep that in mind for future reference. I'll contact you off-line to get some details on parts sources.

Thanks,

JD

Old 07-06-2009, 04:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same Problem

I have the same problem. Did you confirm the issue and get it fixed?

Old 07-08-2009, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by billings
I have the same problem. Did you confirm the issue and get it fixed?
No, I'm still putting up with it. I was going to order the part from Motorcars LTD in Houston. I called to order the part and inquire about the installation method. They promised to call me back with the installation information. But after making three follow-up phone calls (to the same person), and getting nothing but the run-around, I gave up on them.

I want to find out how to do the swap before buying the part. I was hoping one of the Jaguar mechanic guru's on here would step up with some information, but so far, no info. I would't be afraid to just tear into it, but I don't want to inadvertantly set off the airbag thru ignorance.

If someone can give me the procedure basics, I'll go to my Jag dealer and order the part. At this point, I don't care if Motorcars is 1/2 price, they're not getting any of my money due to poor customer service.

Good luck with yours.

JD

Old 10-26-2009, 04:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stdjrm17
I have this same problem with passengers in my 2003 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 V8. The passenger airbag lights up, then turns off with some wiggling by the passenger. I'm assuming it's the sensor in the seat, but does anyone know where all the other sensors are? Are they all those little vent looking things, (the ones that are a little smaller than a dime and look like microphones) all around the car? Is there any way to test the sensors for the passenger side airbag?

Old 10-26-2009, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

I think you will find the part is called a "Clock Spring" in the US. It's under the steering wheel and is not that difficult to change. Another symptom can be other steering wheel functions will act strange or stop working. Any weird radio or cruise control things going on?? Does the horn work OK when the steering wheel is turned??

Old 10-26-2009, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

I think it's covered in the handbook, that the seat is weighing the passenger. The airbag will only be armed if the person is above a set weight, as otherwise it would not be safe. Sounds quite normal. I'm guessing that someone on the boundary of being heavy enough would cause it to stuggle to make its mind up

Old 10-26-2009, 10:36 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

To add to JagV8's comment. The seat has sensors that not only look at weight, but also look for the distribution of that weight. My 7 year old @ 60lbs turns off the airbag (the warning lamp lights on the passenger side). Her mom @ 120lbs (Oh boy, she's gonna kick my *ss for posting that! ) only sets off the "airbag off" warning when she sits in the car with one leg tucked up underneath herself (don't ask me why girls sit like that..I don't know). In the manual as well it talks about having the weight properly dispersed. So, try different people in the seat and see if the lamp works properly.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

hey, 120 is a good weight!

unless she's very height-challenged LOL

Old 10-26-2009, 01:37 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by jagv8
hey, 120 is a good weight!

unless she's very height-challenged LOL
Not to pull this thread too off topic... But she was around 110 before the baby, so now it's my fault!

Old 10-26-2009, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member

oh well, if we're going totally off-topic....

she was putting up a fight?

and it IS yours?

(runs ------> )

Old 10-26-2009, 04:10 PM
Veteran member

You know we're gonna get in trouble for being comedians.....

LOL, that's what I told her.... I thought it was a team effort, unexpected or not!

Yea, the baby is definitely mine... When it's after 5pm she's had enough and is a grumpy butt until you put her to bed! I've been tempted to pass her the remote, but hell, she's only 3 months old!

Quick Reply: Air Bag Warning Lamp