Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Conditioner Compressor Pulley VS Accessory Belt Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 10:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Air Conditioner Compressor Pulley VS Accessory Belt Replacement

Hi,

I searched the forums, manual, and web for help and to see if anyone else had this issue with their s-type r (2005), and didn't find anything that helped. I appreciate any feedback or direction I get on this issue.

I am replacing my accessory drive belt, and can't seem to get the belt around the air conditioner compressor pulley. There is a steel frame directly below this pulley on my 4.2, and the space between the beam and pulley is smaller than the belt - I haven't been able to force the belt through. From what I have read, this replacement should be easy. Yet, I am having no success at this pulley location. Any suggestions?

- Jacob

Old 09-02-2019, 01:28 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by JacobElihu
Hi,

I searched the forums, manual, and web for help and to see if anyone else had this issue with their s-type r (2005), and didn't find anything that helped. I appreciate any feedback or direction I get on this issue.

I am replacing my accessory drive belt, and can't seem to get the belt around the air conditioner compressor pulley. There is a steel frame directly below this pulley on my 4.2, and the space between the beam and pulley is smaller than the belt - I haven't been able to force the belt through. From what I have read, this replacement should be easy. Yet, I am having no success at this pulley location. Any suggestions?

- Jacob
Place the belt on the bottom accessories, starting with the AC compressor, PS pulley and slip the belt on near the top most accessory, which I believe would be the water pump.

Make sure you have the right tool to compress the belt tensioner assembly fully. (Tensioner bar or a good breaker bar. The longer, the better)

From recollection it is a tight fit.

Same with the SC belt.

The following users liked this post:
JacobElihu (09-02-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 01:40 PM

Thanks for responding Abonano. Currently, I am having difficulty with placing the belt on the lower pulleys, specifically the air conditioner compressor pulley. No matter which way I pull, I can't get the belt around the pulley. On my 4.2 there is a steel beam and a part on the compressor pulley that is hindering the belt from fitting and sliding onto the pulley. I don't want to remove the pulley but that seems to be my only option right now, in order to get the belt around it. However, nothing in the manual calls for me to remove the pulley. I am going to try to lube the belt and pulley area to see if that helps before going to drastic measures.

Old 09-02-2019, 03:49 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

You should be able to get the serp belt on the AC pulley without issue, unless the front frame sustained damage of some sort.

I have changed the serp belt on a few of the SC 4.2's including mine and never had clearance issues getting the belt around the AC pulley.

I would advise against attempting to remove the pulley. You will risk damaging the compressor.

JacobElihu (09-02-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,045 Likes on 1,444 Posts

I am replacing my accessory drive belt, and can't seem to get the belt around the air conditioner compressor pulley. There is a steel frame directly below this pulley on my 4.2, and the space between the beam and pulley is smaller than the belt
Jacob, can you please post a picture of this mystery steel frame? I've no experience with this engine, but this piece kinda sounds like a keeper or guide to prevent the belt from jumping loose under certain conditions. How big is this piece? Does it bolt in place? If so, can the mounting bolts be loosened for extra clearance?

Failing that, can the compressor mount bolts be loosened? If you could move the compressor a little bit, would that give enough clearance?

JacobElihu (09-02-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 04:52 PM
Default Pictures

Thank you all for your continued help. Its in an odd, hard to reach, place, but I managed to take some pictures. It seems like the mysterious beam is just the main frame of the car, I could be wrong though. It runs across the front of the vehicle and curves near where this problematic pulley is.

In picture 1, one can see a tiny space between the pulley and steel beam... such a space I can't squeeze the belt through.
Picture 2 shows the beam covers the complete area of the pulley, making it nearly impossible for me to get this belt over it.
Picture 3 shows the same thing, just at a different angle.

To my knowledge, and from what I can see, the frame or this beam has not underwent any damage to make it this problematic.

Again, thanks for y'all's help and advice.

Old 09-02-2019, 04:53 PM

* the pictures were taken from underneath of the vehicle

Old 09-03-2019, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member

I'm surprised nobody has jumped in yet. That steel structure certainly appears to be the crossmember, part of the subframe. If that's not bent, it's hard to believe the clearance is so tight. Are there any marks on the crossmember from the pulley hitting it? If the engine mounts compress slightly, it seems you'd have contact.

This tight clearance makes me wonder if your engine mounts have settled/shifted and let the engine drop lower than normal. I'm not sure how you'd check that, other than to have another forum member measure the pulley/crossmember clearance on a similar model. My car is an '02 V6, so I can't help there.

If the engines mounts are okay, perhaps you could jack up the engine ever so tenderly to let you install the belt. Use a heavy block of wood under the oil pan and raise the engine SLIGHTLY with a floor jack. You just want the engine mounts to flex slightly so you can install the belt. Certainly don't lift the entire front end this way, just slightly unload the engine mounts.

Old 09-03-2019, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts

I did mine last year on my 06 str and remember it being tight....here is what i remember....I had the intake hose removed and started the belt sideways from the top...i went underneath and used a see saw back and forth to slip it by the interference

Old 11-28-2019, 07:48 AM
Default Now that is solved, it won't start.

Thanks for y'all's replies. I think the mounts may have lowered for some reason as the engine had to be raised in order to get the belts on. Only thing now is it won't start. It started fine before I took parts off for the belt change. I have a new battery, and followed the steps in the manual when taking parts off.

I'm starting to troubleshoot why it's not starting, following what the manual says to check. But do y'all have any ideas as to why it wouldn't start now?

Last edited by JacobElihu; 11-28-2019 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member

I'm starting to troubleshoot why it's not starting, following what the manual says to check. But do y'all have any ideas as to why it wouldn't start now?

Your previous post was almost 3 months ago, and showed the belt removed. Has the car been sitting all this time? If so, the battery may have run down. I'd begin troubleshooting by hooking up a charger (at least ten amp output) and making sure the battery is fully charged. At the very minimum, please take a voltage reading at the battery and report back.

What happens when you first turn the key to the run position, before trying to start? Do the various warning lights illuminate on the dash?

When you turn the key to start, what happens exactly? Any response? Any clicking under the hood, etc?

NBCat (11-28-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 08:22 PM
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks for y'all's replies. I think the mounts may have lowered for some reason as the engine had to be raised in order to get the belts on. Only thing now is it won't start. It started fine before I took parts off for the belt change. I have a new battery, and followed the steps in the manual when taking parts off.

Jacob- Where are you in Kentucky?

Do you still have a problem with starting your Jag?

Old 11-29-2019, 12:42 AM
Veteran Member

Another thought in response to you saying the car won’t start. Does the starter engage as normal, but that’s it? If that is the case, the fuel pump may be dead. Several forum members have had the fuel pump seize after it sat inactive for several months.

Don’t just rush out and throw a new fuel pump at the car. But do please provide more details about what happens when you turn the key.