S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbags and Weighted Seat Sensor Module for Passenger seat

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 03:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Airbags and Weighted Seat Sensor Module for Passenger seat

I'm looking for where I can find airbags and a weighted seat sensor module for the passenger seat for my 2003 Jaguar S-type.

Some of you saw that my Jaguar was for sale here at https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/p...y-owner-52988/ and know that the following members joycesjag and vance580 have worked on my Jaguar before. My Jaguar is no longer for sale because I got in accident with it over a month ago and not too long ago it was considered totaled. It was considered totaled because there was a part on back order that the dealership had no clue whether it was gonna be made or not, but it's still drivable. If anyone could let me know where I could find a used weighted seat sensor module for the passenger seat and used airbags and help me with installing these, that would be great.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Old 07-06-2011, 05:04 PM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Can't see how that thing measures weight?

Lots of bags available cheap.
03 Jaguar S Type Air Bags | eBay

Just be sure to ask if they were out of a flood car.

Don't buy an SRS module. You can get it cleared for 50 bucks at Myairbags.com They also can repair the belts & buckles @ 70bucks each. The website says they can't do buckles but they did mine.

Let me know if I can help further. I been down this road recently.

How did you determine the passenger sensor to be bad??

Last edited by Bodyman; 07-06-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:44 PM

Well, my car was originally being repaired at this place called Young Ford, and the airbag warning light apparently was on and wouldn't go off. They took it to the dealership and the dealership said it needed new airbags and a weighted seat sensor module for passenger seat.

I do need more specific help on the website to know how to find the part. I ain't no car expert here

Old 07-07-2011, 09:19 AM

Personally, I wouldn't trust a dealer's diagnostics after my experiance. They said nothing about the seatbelts?? What about the main SRS module? The seat sensors don't normaly get damaged in a collision. That diagnosis doen't make any sence to me. Did the Ford dealer do any repairs at all to the SRS?

I take it both bags deployed and are blown out? If so, you will obviously need the bags. On the drivers there is a devise in the column called the clockspring. Sometimes the heat from the explosion melts the connector. That will be a visual examination once the bag is removed.

You will also need the pretensioners (belt buckles) You may or may not need the rear seat belts. Can you pull them out or are they jambed?

And the main module or brain box will have to be cleared. It will have hard codes stored from the accident. It is on the trans tunnel up under the radio/climate control stack.

As I said, the module can be cleared and the seat belts repaired at great savings.

I would obtain the bags, send out the module and pretensioners for clearing and repair. Then install everything, power up the car and see if the light goes out.

If the light is still on then further diagnostics may be needed. It will flash a code. But I'm getting too far ahead for now.

Some general rules.
1 Always have the battery disconnected when working on the system
2 Don't connect the battery until all the parts are installed
3 Make certain all the connectors are completely engauged and locked.

#3 is the one that got me. This is not a job to do in a hurry.

Last edited by Bodyman; 07-07-2011 at 09:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Norri (07-07-2011)
Old 07-07-2011, 09:50 AM

The more I think about this the less sence it makes to me. If the air bags are blown, you wouldn't need to take it to Jaguar to find out. You would see two big, white, limp bags hanging out. If they didn't blow, there would be no reason to replace them. I'm wondering what really is going on with this.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:37 AM

I don't get my Jaguar back until later today to figure out what's really going on. The accident I got in was that I fell in a ditch and hit a tree, but I wasn't going too fast and the airbags didn't pop out. I'll figure out later today and give you more details when I get my car back

Old 07-07-2011, 12:30 PM

OK. Well first off if the bags didn't deploy there isn't anything wrong with them. Most likely the pretensioners fired which is why the light is on. This is what happened with ours. I bought it wrecked BTW. Were you in the car alone?

I'd be willing to bet this can all be fixed without buying any parts. Worst case all the belts are blown, you would be looking at 400 bucks + shipping to get everything fixed.

Sounds to me like the Jag dealer either didn't want to fix it, were just incompetent or perhaps they wanted it totalled.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:50 PM
Received 6,324 Likes on 5,510 Posts

Is it still driving Joel, or is it having to be towed?

Old 07-07-2011, 01:01 PM

He mentioned it is still driveable at the beginning. If it's legal would be another concern. He also mentioned it was deemed a total loss which would mean it has a salvage title. Wish he was closer. As you know Norri, I just went through this.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Received 6,324 Likes on 5,510 Posts

That was what I was thinking about Jim, if there was a way he could hook up with you and make a deal it could save him a lot of hours of shop time as you are familiar with the system now.

You might be able to take a look at the dings too.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by norri
That was what I was thinking about Jim, if there was a way he could hook up with you and make a deal it could save him a lot of hours of shop time as you are familiar with the system now.

You might be able to take a look at the dings too.

Not turning away work but I had actually thought Rick could handle the SRS issues. Especially since it turns out the bags are still intact and he worked on the car before. Simple matter of unbolting the stuff, sending it out and putting it back in. Only bad part is the car sitting for a week for the turnaround on the buckles.

In any case I'm willing to share what I learned.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:24 PM

The car is pretty much in perfect condition other than this airbag problem and simply from the dealership not having this weighted seat sensor module was what decided it to be totaled. The airbag warning light is on when I drive it, but everything else functions just fine.

I personally wanted this car to be totaled too because I have been tired of dealing with all the problems that Jaguar vehicles have and with mine currently having over 95,000 miles tells me that it's only gonna get worse. I only bought it back because my parents are gonna be using it when they come in November and want me to try to buy these parts and fix it. I'm still getting a new car regardless, but still gotta fix this car.

I was in the car alone and probably only going 20 mph when I fell down the ditch and hit the tree. The seat belts are all fine.

Rick has worked with my car before and I would trust him again to fix it.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

I expect most jags go to the great scrapyard in the sky with a working weighted seat module (is that really its name?!).

Most other items will also be fine so in a way all you need is how to reset the ones that even need resetting.

I don't know which those are (sorry!) but my feeling is that the car is very fixable.

The habits of insurance/etc insisting on a new item are somewhat understandable but when the insistence results in a daft write-off (er, totalled car) then they've gone too far.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:08 PM

The airbag light should flash a code when you first turn on the key. For example one flash, a pause then seven flashes. That would be 17 and means there is crash data stored in the main module. It will repeat the cycle about 4 times then stay on steady. If it flashes a code, let us know what it is.

A Jag tech told me the rear belts won't blow if they are not buckled. Someone had buckled mine all together, I suppose to make it look neater.
Your passenger buckle would be OK cause no one was sitting there. At any rate it is very simple to test the pretensioners with an ohmeter.

I'd be willing to bet you need the drivers buckle repaired and the module cleared. It would be a good idea to test the other pretensioners just to be sure.

I can't for the life of me understand the Jag dealer saying the bags and that sensor being bad. Only way the bags fail is if they actually blow or are submerged in a flood car. Of course when I had them run mine they insisted the drivers buckle was at fault. Even though the dianostic printout clearly stated a problem with the middle, second row seat. Turned out to be the connector I missed. If I had listened to them it would have been 250 bucks down the drain for a new buckle.

I would send Rick a PM and see if he's interested in the job. I will be glad to share any knowledge I have with him. We have met and he's a good dude as well as handy with a wrench.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by jagv8
I expect most jags go to the great scrapyard in the sky with a working weighted seat module (is that really its name?!).

Most other items will also be fine so in a way all you need is how to reset the ones that even need resetting.

I don't know which those are (sorry!) but my feeling is that the car is very fixable.

The habits of insurance/etc insisting on a new item are somewhat understandable but when the insistence results in a daft write-off (er, totalled car) then they've gone too far.

They have to write all new for SRS parts. Manufacturer recomendations are followed for liability reasons. They won't write used parts on steering or suspension components either.

Having said that, this is about the weirdest case I have ever heard of. The Jag dealer is obviously lieing about it needing new airbags so I kinda doubt the sensor isn't available or even needed. What is really strange is the insurance company going along with the diagnosis when the bags are clearly not blown. I'm guessing it may be a case of "Oh my Gawd...It's a freakin Jaguar...No one can fix it ....we'll just total loss it and clear the books!!"

I just checked an online OEM listing and they show that black box for the passenger seat available at 300 bucks wholesale.

Last edited by Bodyman; 07-08-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

You put it so much better than I did!

Old 07-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

This is sounding like another BertrandGrey saga! What on earth is going on at that dealer?
Leedsman.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:01 PM

The name of the missing piece is the weighted seat sensor module. Though technically no one was sitting next to me, I had some stuff on the passenger seat, but nothing really heavy enough.

Young Ford originally took it to the Jaguar dealership to reset it so that the airbag warning light would go off, but it didn't work, and that's when the dealership figured out that it needed this weighted seat sensor module for my Jaguar.

I'm really happy with my insurance calling it off as totaled because they gave me a check to get a new car, which was why I was really pushing it. In spite of it being stuff related to liability and safety, I was really glad with it and am not complaining at all. Once I get this fixed and get my new car, I'll have 2 cars to myself except when my parents will be here from November to January, which will be awesome in my opinion.

I'm gonna send Rick a PM and see what he has to say about this all.

No "codes" come up when I turn on the car, but it does flash once, pauses for a bit and flashes a certain number of times. I don't know how many times just yet, but I'll let y'all know soon.

My buckles are working fine for the driver and passenger seat, unless y'all are going into details from stuff with the airbags. My seat belt of course was on, and the passenger seat belt was not on if that helps.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:17 PM

There is a lot to do with liability when working on an SRS or any other safety related sytem. I was relating my experiances and I still believe I know of what I speak. However, I don't think the OP has a grasp of this system enough to attempt a DIY repair.

Just because the seat belt buckles still latch doesn't mean the pretensioners haven't fired. It's an explosive charge that drives a piston in a chamber thereby pulling the cable the buckle is attached to and tightens the belt. Once it fires the circuit is open and the SRS system detects a resistance fault in the pretensioner circuit. It is supposed to be around 2.5 ohms.

Yes there are a lot of "details" in making the SRS system function correctly. Lots of sensors and hardware and when a crash happens some things may be deployed. It all has to be restored to function as originally designed or the light won't go out.

Kinda curious here. In PA, if you bought it back as salvage, you would be issued a salvage certificate and it would have to be retitled as a reconstructed vehicle. Far as I know that's the way it works everywhere in the US. I do it quite a few of them. So is that what you are planning?

Last edited by Bodyman; 07-09-2011 at 08:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Airbags and Weighted Seat Sensor Module for Passenger seat