S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbags and Weighted Seat Sensor Module for Passenger seat

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 09:47 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

ok I've been passing this thread by and decided to read. 1st most cars I get after accidents from body shops and they statethe same thing. We cant clear the SRS light, or it needs a pass weight sensor. blah blah blah
what you have to do is recalibrate the passenger weight sensor and then cleared codes. It goes away every time.
to recalibrate you just go in seat cushion replacement in sdd or ids.
As for pretensioner firing, you just need to look at the barrels. If the plug in the barrel is not out at the end of the barrel, its hasnt fired. If the plug is at the end it has fired simple as that, you dont even have to remove the seat. Just raise it up so you can see the barrel that the cable goes into.

The following users liked this post:
joycesjag (07-10-2011)
Old 07-09-2011, 11:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I generally don't know too much about cars to begin with, and I'd have no clue how to repair it myself.

Ok, so I kinda have a better understanding of the seat belts and the sensors...I first wasn't grasping what y'all were talking about.

I know I should be getting the salvage certificate once my dad goes through some paperwork because the car is in his name. It's gonna take time though because my parents live overseas. I don't know how NC functions for reconstruction titles, but I doubt it would with this airbag/weighted seat sensor module problem, but that is the plan.

And Brutal, I have no idea how to do any of what you've mentioned.

Oh yeah, so as I drove it today, there was no blinking pattern I could pick up with the airbag warning light. It goes on for a bit than blinks on and off for a while, then turns off and blinks again pretty much until you start driving it, then it just stays on.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:27 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Good informative postings by BodyMan and Brutal. This stuff needs keeping. And you have to come here for it!
Leedsman.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

As usual Brutal is "da' man"!

Thank you for your post # 21 Brutal.

Now Joel, try to get ahold of vance580, maybe he has the hour or so to remove 4 seat hold down bolts and raise the seat to check the pretensioner firing barrel.

BTW I have been lurking at this thread since the beginning. If it were Joyces Jag you can bet your last dollar that I would have the thing torn apart by now! But someone elses vehicle as Jim (bodyman) mentioned makes me a wee bit nervous.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Obviously Brutal is right but - which light exactly is blinking and then staying on? The one in the passenger panel (and with NO passenger)?

edit: read more posts. If something big enough and vaguely heavy (but not as heavy as a medium+ adult) is in the passenger seat then the car deliberately disables the air bag and puts the light on - see the handbook. It's because it would be very dangerous to fire an airbag at a small passenger. So, it's not necessarily faulty.

This might be the place to mention sdd / ids are tools only a Jag dealer is likely to have. Think of them as enhanced OBD tools.

Last edited by JagV8; 07-10-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by jcboulos
I generally don't know too much about cars to begin with, and I'd have no clue how to repair it myself.

Ok, so I kinda have a better understanding of the seat belts and the sensors...I first wasn't grasping what y'all were talking about.

I know I should be getting the salvage certificate once my dad goes through some paperwork because the car is in his name. It's gonna take time though because my parents live overseas. I don't know how NC functions for reconstruction titles, but I doubt it would with this airbag/weighted seat sensor module problem, but that is the plan.

And Brutal, I have no idea how to do any of what you've mentioned.

Oh yeah, so as I drove it today, there was no blinking pattern I could pick up with the airbag warning light. It goes on for a bit than blinks on and off for a while, then turns off and blinks again pretty much until you start driving it, then it just stays on.
the blinking is actually giving you flash codes that correlate to the problems seen by the restraints system.
also if you paid the dealer to diagnose your issue(I think based on the info here a incorrect and not complete diag) I would go back or call and ask if they did in fact recailibrate the weight sensor(under seat cushion replacement) if they did not they dont know if theyre dealing with 1 or more or NO issues at all. If they didnt do this they did not do a complete diag and just shot a quote based on what IDS/SDD pulled. Like I said I see this all the time after accidents and have yet to replace the weight sensor, and it comes as an assembly from Jaguar. That portion of the seat harness, the module, the sensor and the bonded to seat bottom cushion.
So they need to run the calibration and then clear codes and see what returns like pretensioners etc... and I would talk to the service manger about this and ask it to be done for NO additional charges since this should have been done the first time. And you can tell them I told you this too............
Its the correct thing to do in THIS case

Old 07-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Just to add, they gave me a printout of the diagnostic report. That would be nice to have too. It told me what was the actual problem in my case despite the techs interpretation.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:07 PM

I'll hit up with vance580 and see what he can do. Can this type of problem be fixed in 1 day? I recently started working at Sam's Club, so I don't have as much free time like before.

The airbag warning light that is blinking is the one on the driver's side next to all the other warning lights. The passenger one isn't blinking at all.

I don't remember exactly what I had on the passenger seat but it was something really small either along the lines of a notebook or something that wouldn't put anything big like that. I can't really remember.

The best thing I can suggest to do for the warning light blinking is to record it. It doesn't stop until you start driving for a bit. If I keep it in park, it'll just keep going.

Technically my insurance paid for this all, but I don't want to risk calling that Jaguar Dealership for one BIG reason. If they figure out that my car is repairable, it could lead eventually to a call from my insurance and my car would no longer be considered totaled. I DON'T want that to happen because I still am planning on getting a new car. I don't really wanna mess with Scott Jaguar and get this case turned around.

I think it's just better to have this all ripped out and figure it out that way so I won't get myself into deeper trouble with my insurance. I looking to get a nice car with that check my insurance gave me that won't have so many problems like my Jaguar.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:26 PM

theyre not gonna call your insurance, not is your insurance gonna worry that you can fix it cheaper. Theyre done, next, besides the adjuster does NOT want someone to say the car is now fix. My 96 VDP was totalled cause my ex parked it in high water when we went through a divorce. The insurance totalled it cause to have a shop fix it was past there limit %. I fixed it for $300 and 2 days work pulling the interior and cleaning the carpet that was the only thing wet.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:21 PM

Alright...I'll call them tomorrow and see if I can get all the details in. The only problem is Scott Jaguar is in Charlotte and I live in Raleigh, which is 2 to 3 hours away. Hopefully I can get them to email it to me or something.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:41 AM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I am wondering if you have discussed the actual settlement with your insurance company? When they total a vehicle, they recoup some of the loss by selling the salvage. In this case it appears they have already spent a considerable sum to have the body repaired. If the owner wants to retain the salvage vehicle they have to buy it back so to speak. The buy back price is then subtracted from the settlement check.

I have never heard of a case where the insurance company paid off the full retail value of a vehicle and just let the owner keep it. In this case I would think they expect a fair return on the salvage as the majority of repairs are completed. Just thought I'd mention this cause you may not have as much to go car shoping with as you think.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:48 PM

They did not pay the full retail value with buying the car back. Buying the car back made it go down by about $3500, but my parents are still gonna spend that total amount they gave me to get a new car.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:27 PM

So I've tried uploading a video for a recording of my warning light blinking and it's failed, though I've met the parameters this website restricts it to...any help please?