S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AJ V8 Crankshaft gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AJ V8 Crankshaft gear

Hoping to get a little more info here. I have the 2001 Lincoln LS that is pre timing chain change. That means the skimpier chain and all and no 'bath tube' on the oil pump.

My mech just finished the upper stuff, and that was all well and needed, but he warned me the sprockets are worn 'sharp' and that rest of the primary chains and stuff would need to get done soon. SO, I have been researching and find that there is a difference in the lower crankshaft gear sprockets. Mine are two pieces and are rare and EXPENSIVE! The rest of the parts will be from Christophers Foreign Parts, so they are the upgraded chains and such. I am wondering why I cant use the second gen sprocket as well - I think this one is all in one (2 sets of teeth on one unit).

Over on my Lincoln forums no one has an answer yet, proably due to most the limited years made. A good tech hinted that it may be due to the oil pump difference.

Honestly I can get a gen two oil pump and the sprockets and it would be cheaper than the two gen 1 sprockets.

Looking for knowledge or advice on upgrading this. Car runs good, mech said he heard the chain rattle, I dont, but maybe I dont know what to listen for.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:04 PM
Received 2,652 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Unless the Ford 3.9 litre unit fitted to the Lincoln LS has had the crankshaft gears superseded, it may be best to go with the correct part(s) as the amount of labour involved does not justify the risk.

You may also want to consider sourcing used gears that show less wear.

Old 08-11-2016, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply.

I understand that this car was slightly different, but from what I have seen for info all Lincoln LS used the same crankshaft. The change in sprocket was from 2 pieces (1 for each chain) to one that had dual sets of teeth. There is only 2 reasons I would think it not possible to go with the later version 1) the crankshaft is different, 2) the oil pump design change dictated the gear change.

Since the crankshaft never changed I am pretty comfortable that 1 is not an issue, but if someone knows for certain loved to hear.

The second option might be remedied by changin the oil pump too - and would still save money.

Hoping that the different Jag models and more production in these years someone may have experience with this conundrum.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:17 PM
Received 2,652 Likes on 1,824 Posts

As you may be aware, the Ford/Lincoln 3.9 Litre version of the AJ-V8 was produced somewhere in Ohio if memory serves. The 4.0 Litre Jaguar unit was produced in the UK. With that in mind, there may be subtle changes to both that may or may not allow parts interchangeability.

It does not appear to be a 'conundrum' as you have the part numbers and can readily access the correct pieces. With all due respect, do you honestly want to take a chance on installing different parts requiring the engine to be disassembled again?