AJV8 flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2020, 02:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaimlerMK2
Hi
have you got the flex plate from the engine you are using,
and what gearbox are you going to run
Yep, it’s just the standard 4.0 flex plate, and the 2.7D gearbox, the same as yours.

i don’t suppose you kept a drawing of the flywheel when you machined it?

Old 03-08-2020, 02:54 PM
Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by AJV8Capri
Yep, it’s just the standard 4.0 flex plate, and the 2.7D gearbox, the same as yours.

i don’t suppose you kept a drawing of the flywheel when you machined it?
when I got my gearbox I got the flywheel with it, and had it copied but made to fit the v8 crank,
is the 4L flex plate same as the one for the 4.4 v8 then.

Old 03-08-2020, 03:32 PM

when I got my gearbox I got the flywheel with it, and had it copied but made to fit the v8 crank,
is the 4L flex plate same as the one for the 4.4 v8 then.
yeah the flex plate mounting is the same for all AJV8’s, the timing holes are diffierent but it makes no difference for standalone ecu.

yeah I’ve got the whole lot in front of me now, 2.7D clutch, pressure plate, and Dual mass flywheel. Just trying to figure out the height of it all etc..

Does the clutch seem to be holding up to the V8 in yours, or have you not got that far yet?

Old 03-08-2020, 03:52 PM
Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

not on the road as yet,
but why do you think it will not hold up,
as I am using the diesel clutch and presser plate

Old 03-08-2020, 04:48 PM

not on the road as yet,
but why do you think it will not hold up,
as I am using the diesel clutch and presser plate
ah ok, have you at least been able to test the clutch?

im fairly confident it will work and hold up to a bit of power, and despite it being designed for a dmf, it’s still a a sprung clutch plate. I guess I’m just looking for some kind of confirmation that it will work

Old 05-09-2020, 08:13 AM

Hello all sorry to barge in but i'm so glad i found this thread I have been planning exactly this for a while and was fairly confident the diesel gearbox would fit the AJV8 but its nice to have it confirmed. I see some of you are looking at flywheels my investigations lead me down the Aston Martin route and found that TTV mentioned in an earlier post make a flywheel for that engine. Also there have been a few AM flywheels turn up on Ebay recently at reasonable money i hope this maybe of help to someone.

while I am here I don't suppose anyone has their engine out and could possibly take some external measurements for me ?

Many thanks Carl

Old 05-09-2020, 08:47 AM
Received 108 Likes on 95 Posts

You can try talking to Swallows Jaguar in the UK. I know they put the S-type diesel box in the owner's son's STR. It's been up & running for a while. They may be willing to share some info.

https://swallows-jag.co.uk/

Old 07-24-2020, 11:57 AM
Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Detour
Hello all sorry to barge in but i'm so glad i found this thread I have been planning exactly this for a while and was fairly confident the diesel gearbox would fit the AJV8 but its nice to have it confirmed. I see some of you are looking at flywheels my investigations lead me down the Aston Martin route and found that TTV mentioned in an earlier post make a flywheel for that engine. Also there have been a few AM flywheels turn up on Ebay recently at reasonable money i hope this maybe of help to someone.

while I am here I don't suppose anyone has their engine out and could possibly take some external measurements for me ?

Many thanks Carl
The flywheel pictured earlier in this thread by melhookv12 is a direct bolt on. It uses the factory flexplate for correct starter and crank position sensor function (you have to remove the small spacer but it's very easy). And from what I can tell, it accepts a ridiculously common and inexpensive 10.5" clutch set from a small block chevy. Obviously you can buy a mcloed or other brand for more holding power. I just bolted one to my 4.2.

I bought mine from Tom Lenthall LTD. For what you get, it's amazingly cheap. A custom flywheel for ~$765 plus shipping, which also was crazy fast and inexpensive. I received it in washington state, USA from the UK in less than a business week. It did take about a month to make but I think some of that was because the covid shut downs.

The following users liked this post:
User 42324 (07-24-2020)
Old 07-24-2020, 01:21 PM
SRT
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by S15ben
Thanks mate and yes that's the flywheel I've looked at aswell I think both the AJv8 and the AJ-P v8 from the TVs are both successors of the rover v8 making me think they might be very similar or identical in a lot of components
Rover 3500 V8 has nothing to do with later Jag engines. Absolutely nothing!

Old 08-31-2020, 11:43 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Ian..

What clutch did you go with, I'm working on the same project. Also what pedalbox and engine management.

Thank you

Old 09-01-2020, 11:21 AM
Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwbridge87
Ian..

What clutch did you go with, I'm working on the same project. Also what pedalbox and engine management.

Thank you
I wasn't ever sure this was going to work so I wanted to stay budget oriented until it was proven. Lenthall gave me a part number for a mcloed high torque clutch multiplate set for several hundred dollars. Part number MCL691307. I measured the bolt pattern for the pressure plate and it turned out to be the same as a commonplace Chevy v8. The specific application was a 91 camaro with the 305 but it's the same clutch used across many gm v8's. It was less than a hundred dollars.

User 42324 (09-01-2020)
Old 09-01-2020, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by iansane
I wasn't ever sure this was going to work so I wanted to stay budget oriented until it was proven. Lenthall gave me a part number for a mcloed high torque clutch multiplate set for several hundred dollars. Part number MCL691307. I measured the bolt pattern for the pressure plate and it turned out to be the same as a commonplace Chevy v8. The specific application was a 91 camaro with the 305 but it's the same clutch used across many gm v8's. It was less than a hundred dollars.

Thank you I will look into that. Where are you at in your project? did your gearbox line up to the shifter location and what mount did you use for the transmission?

Old 09-05-2020, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 586 Likes on 392 Posts

Question. What transmission are you guys using?

Old 09-06-2020, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Tijoe
Question. What transmission are you guys using?
Jaguar s type 2.7 D 6 spd manual from the UK.

Its a direct bolt on

Tom lenthall is making my flywheel and Ill use the same clutch as Ian.

Tijoe (09-06-2020)
Old 09-06-2020, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

I presume you are assuming the 2.7D 6 speed manual on NA engines and not a STR supercharged engine?

Can you confirm that the trans you are using is a ZF S6-53 jaguar version?
Based on this, the
ZF S6-53 is rated up to 600 newton metres (~442 lbf·ft) of torque.
Stock STR are rated at 554 newton metres. This is fairly close to the limit that the trans can take.

I always wanted to put in a TR6060 / T56 into one of my STRs. They are rated to 600 lb⋅ft (810 N⋅m)
This project is on my "C" list. Probably never get to this before I die.

Old 09-06-2020, 11:40 AM
Received 108 Likes on 95 Posts

Based on this, the ZF S6-53 is rated up to 600 newton metres (~442 lbf·ft) of torque.
Stock STR are rated at 554 newton metres. This is fairly close to the limit that the trans can take.
These quoted limits by ZF are for what they think will be zero failures. The 2.7 box can take more but it also depends on how it's used (so dropping the clutch at every set of lights will not help).. Earlier in this thread I commented that Swallows Jaguar have been running an STR with this box. The car also has a TVS s/c fitted with other mods & is making more than stock. Like Tom Lenthall, Swallows do development work & race cars.

Old 09-06-2020, 02:49 PM

I presume you are assuming the 2.7D 6 speed manual on NA engines and not a STR supercharged engine?

Based on this, the

I always wanted to put in a TR6060 / T56 into one of my STRs. They are rated to 600 lb⋅ft (810 N⋅m)

Yes the 2.7 D s type, not the supercharger transmission.

I'm my case I wont need to worry about the hight torque I'm using the 4.0 NA motor.

Old 09-06-2020, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member

I'd probably figure out how to use a more common higher torque 6-speed trans because having to get a Jaguar Diesel version shipped over to the USA will cost a lot and then if I need to rebuild one may not be able to find the parts here in the USA. (Even if BMW's version of the trans uses the same internal parts)
I have made trans adapter plates in the past, but sometimes getting the input shafts to be the correct length has been a headache.

Old 09-06-2020, 06:18 PM

I'd probably figure out how to use a more common higher torque 6-speed trans because having to get a Jaguar Diesel version shipped over to the USA will cost a lot and then if I need to rebuild one may not be able to find the parts here in the USA. (Even if BMW's version of the trans uses the same internal parts)
I have made trans adapter plates in the past, but sometimes getting the input shafts to be the correct length has been a headache.

My transmission is already on its way here and shipping was $250

Look around and you will find plenty for affordable prices.

As a matter of fact I have all the parts minus a stand alone ecu and my flywheel from Tom.

ill have my swap complete in a couple of months, ill post my results.

All jaguar parts no exception.

Ekskaar (01-13-2021)
Old 09-10-2020, 12:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on this, the

The gearbox can actually take a lot more torque than that, as proven on the drag strip. I think even Americans will have to try really hard to break it.

Quick Reply: AJV8 flywheel