S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Akebonos cheapest price on net for STR 03' and up!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Akebonos cheapest price on net for STR 03' and up!

Hey guys as you know I was searching around for a front set and rear brake pads for my 03' STR, but my rear pads still have like close to 50% on them(do them later on), so anyhow I went ahead and bought the front pads by Akebono ceramic pads from Amazon baby! $89! w/ shipping total $97, some of you can get it for free shipping if you like but I dont feel like waiting long so I did the 3-5 day shipping for 7 bucks!

Get them while in stock; Sold by amazon!
here's the link:
http://www.amazon.com/Akebono-EUR938...4&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Hope I was of any help to anyone! The least I can do for all the help I recieved from all you guys helping me out with my questions in the time of need!

Cheers!

Last edited by jag79; 07-30-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:59 PM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jag79
Hey guys as you know I was searching around for a front set and rear brake pads for my 03' STR, but my rear pads still have like close to 50% on them(do them later on), so anyhow I went ahead and bought the front pads by Akebono ceramic pads from Amazon baby! $89! w/ shipping total $97, some of you can get it for free shipping if you like but I dont feel like waiting long so I did the 3-5 day shipping for 7 bucks!

Get them while in stock; Sold by amazon!
here's the link:
http://www.amazon.com/Akebono-EUR938...4&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Hope I was of any help to anyone! The least I can do for all the help I recieved from all you guys helping me out with my questions in the time of need!

Cheers!
A very bad idea to mix pads - you could have had both ends for $170 from www.rockauto.com as I posted earlier...

Old 07-30-2010, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

It's not clear to me he ever slows down enough to stop and think. Lots of enthusiasm there.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by searanch
A very bad idea to mix pads - you could have had both ends for $170 from www.rockauto.com as I posted earlier...
FYI.. you can get the same from Amazon for $170, Rockauto is out of stock for the front ends my friend. But thanks for looking out for me! ya dig, cool
Jag tech said having Akebonos on front and leaving the rear OEMs on back since they have close to 50% tread is ok, I shouldnt have any problems, I'll let you know the end results after putting them on.
cheers!

Last edited by jag79; 07-31-2010 at 01:07 AM.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Staatsof
It's not clear to me he ever slows down enough to stop and think. Lots of enthusiasm there.
....Its not clear to me that YOU:icon_doh don't stop and think(as a senior member on this forum) for a second that Rockauto doesn't have the Front end Akebonos in stock at their warehouse and Amazon does for both front end and rear end brake pads by Akebono for $170 also.

*dont hate!
Peace!

Old 07-31-2010, 01:21 AM
Veteran Member

It's not hate guy. But it is pretty clear that you've jumped around pretty quickly from thread to thread and haven't taken a bit more time to absorb what's already on here. I'm thinking you're very enthusiastic that's all. So calm down a bit and take time to smell the roses.

As for being a senior member, ha! I've only been here a little over a month and had my car less than a week. I'm still learning the details of these cars.

That doesn't mean I've no experience with automobiles. So you might want to listen to the previous poster about mixing pads. Unless you know a lot about a cars idiosyncrasies and dynamics what your doing might not work out so well. You also might discover that fact at very inopportune moment. It's just some cautionary advice from a couple of people.

Bob S.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member

It's not hate guy. But it is pretty clear that you've jumped around pretty quickly from thread to thread and haven't taken a bit more time to absorb what's already on here. I'm thinking you're very enthusiastic that's all. So calm down a bit and take time to smell the roses.

As for being a senior member, ha! I've only been here a little over a month and had my car less than a week. I'm still learning the details of these cars.

That doesn't mean I've no experience with automobiles. So you might want to listen to the previous poster about mixing pads. Unless you know a lot about a cars idiosyncrasies and dynamics what your doing might not work out so well. You also might discover that fact at very inopportune moment. It's just some cautionary advice from a couple of people.

Bob S.
HEy Bob, I'm still learning the ropes around this forum, and yes whatever questions that I couldn't find on here I had to ask; I may have over looked the answers to my questions that already were answered on this forum, but no ones perfect . But anyhow I do appreciate everyones suggestions and I do respect that. So no offense taken. Just like you being a recent owner of a jag I'm still learning about this car everyday,
Peace

Old 07-31-2010, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

The usual thing to aim to do on any forum as a new member is to read without commenting or asking questions, for a few weeks.

Note that's an aim, not a rule. It's of course OK to ask or comment but it should be sparingly and with proper thought and prior research.

At least, all the good forums I've been on are that way. The ones where people jump all over the place and post randomly are such a mess I just move on.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:32 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jagv8
The usual thing to aim to do on any forum as a new member is to read without commenting or asking questions, for a few weeks.

Note that's an aim, not a rule. It's of course OK to ask or comment but it should be sparingly and with proper thought and prior research.

At least, all the good forums I've been on are that way. The ones where people jump all over the place and post randomly are such a mess I just move on.
I couldn't agree more... Generally, I don't participate in forums, as most of the posts are way off topic, or completely uninformed. This forum is completely different. It is probably a mix of the members and the rarity of our vechicles which differentiates it, but I do find it enjoyable as well as very informative.

My only other comment on browsing, observing, etc. prior to posting, is to attempt to proof read the post prior to clicking submit! Make sure the post is intelligible! I have a bad habit of having my fingers lag way behind my brain and in the end my posts could be a complete mess if I don't pause to proof read it!

Old 07-31-2010, 12:24 PM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

why do say that,tested your facts anywhere? i've had upgraded front disc/pads on many cars ,never had or heard of any problems .

waiting for you to jump down my throat .i've had my 06 str almost two years and a 3.0 sport before that.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,389 Likes on 1,884 Posts

Remember that Rockauto always has a 5% discount code going on. Just do a quick search to get the current discount code.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by davewhitt
why do say that,tested your facts anywhere? i've had upgraded front disc/pads on many cars ,never had or heard of any problems .

waiting for you to jump down my throat .i've had my 06 str almost two years and a 3.0 sport before that.
Well lets see. The only reason I can see for mixing different pad compounds would be to change/modify a brake bias. The STR has none I'm aware of. On a practical matter if ya got the tools out most peeps would do all four corners with matched pads on an STR.

We all know the OEM pads are a compound probably asbestos or some facsimile thereof and the Akebonos are a ceramic compound. They have entirely different heat characteristics. The first thing one will notice when changing all four corners to the ceramic compound pads are the brakes are no longer "grabby". Put a little stick to the STR and get on the brakes once heated they are less likely to fade as compound pads are want to do with aggressive driving.

The heat differences would/could become a liability when you most need your brakes. This may cause issues with the ABS.

To save fifty bucks. Spare me...

Old 07-31-2010, 03:14 PM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

you guys in the state's are lucking rear brakes $50 .

guess how much in the uk

Original Quality Pad
Redstuff Ceramic Brake Pads (Complete axle set, both wheels) DP31912C £136.74 £123.07 £144.61
Upgrade Quality Pad
Yellowstuff Brake Pads (Complete axle set, both wheels) DP41912R £149.00 £134.10 £157.57

i'm not saying that they don't do rear brakes but they don't list them on this web site!!!

Old 07-31-2010, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member

Well lets see. The only reason I can see for mixing different pad compounds would be to change/modify a brake bias. The STR has none I'm aware of. On a practical matter if ya got the tools out most peeps would do all four corners with matched pads on an STR.

We all know the OEM pads are a compound probably asbestos or some facsimile thereof and the Akebonos are a ceramic compound. They have entirely different heat characteristics. The first thing one will notice when changing all four corners to the ceramic compound pads are the brakes are no longer "grabby". Put a little stick to the STR and get on the brakes once heated they are less likely to fade as compound pads are want to do with aggressive driving.

The heat differences would/could become a liability when you most need your brakes. This may cause issues with the ABS.

I agreee. The cars entire braking system and ther's a lot to it is tuned for pads of equal characteristics on the front and the rear. Now if the two different types of pads are close then maybe it would bve noticeable or an issue. But why f*ck around with a safety issue that way.

So do the Akebonos require any warm-up time to become effective?
I wouldn't mind the other changes they might bring but I would be concerned if on a cold night I suddenly needed the brakes in the worst way and I had to wait.

Bob S.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:19 PM

I agreee. But why f*ck around with a safety issue that way.

So do the Akebonos require any warm-up time to become effective?
Singing to the choir on this one. No, the Akebonos do not need any warm-up time to become effective. They don't grab like the OEM pads making it much easier to modulate, don't make any dust, wear evenly and don't fade under extreme driving. What more could you ask for with all four corners done properly for less than $200. Use a high temperature brake grease lightly on the skids, backing plates of the pads where they meet the pistons and lightly on the piston ends. Don't leave any excess grease on any components. Of course clean the calipers, rotors and caliper skids thoroughly before dry fit and final fit with grease.

So far I have put 12,000 miles on my STR with a set. First thing I did after I purchased the car as I did my X-type, Land Rover and three previous cars. They will probably eat a rotor a little faster but they don't groove the rotor while snacking on them.

Performed flawlessly...

Old 07-31-2010, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member

yeah your right I was thinking about just changing out the front pads to Akebonos and leaving the OEM's on the back, but screw it, might as well do all 4 at the same time. By any chance do you have or can direct me to a link for a DIY on changing pads on the STR, I gotta get that workshop manual off ebay.. Thanks for the advice though.

Later.

Last edited by jag79; 07-31-2010 at 06:31 PM.