Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All inclusive de-amber/red markers, repeater, paint code thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
Default All inclusive de-amber/red markers, repeater, paint code thread

Looking to make this an all inclusive thread about how to remove the 6 side lights, where to find clear repeaters, where to find paint and painting tips.

I'm going to update this first post as you guys help me provide new info.

DISCLAIMER: May NOT be legal in your state or country and you may FAIL inspection.

REMOVAL:

Side Oval Repeaters. Have to remove the inner fender well splash to gain access. Once remove, one clip releases the repeater.

Front and rear lens. First lay parallel which side you want to remove. Reach up behind bumper skin (tight spot), push around and you will see marker light assembly move. Push up on front tab (see arrow(s) in picture) push out on front assembly, push up on rear tab, using other hand wiggle marker light assembly out of bumper skin. (Thanks joycesjag)

PAINT OPTIONS:
Tint in a can, nightshades, often in stock at many auto part stores
Factory paint in a can (HELP: paint source?)

CLEAR REPEATERS:
Found on ebay from uk sellers or from Mina Gallery

PAINTING & SANDING TIPS:
(HELP)

Attached Thumbnails All inclusive de-amber/red markers, repeater, paint code thread-rear-marker-light-replacement-001.jpg  

Last edited by Bacardi 151; 07-24-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

You have to unscrew the inner fender well (the black plastic thingy) to gain access to the front side oval markers.

Hey nice pic you posted up

Old 07-24-2011, 11:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THe front oval things in the fender i bought from ebay they turn a little yellowish from the sun in about 4 months, maybe clear coating them will work? but you dont have to do all that.. just stick a screw driver on the hortzonatl side and push to the opposite side and pull out it comes right out no problems

Old 07-24-2011, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by s type R JAG
THe front oval things in the fender i bought from ebay they turn a little yellowish from the sun in about 4 months, maybe clear coating them will work? but you dont have to do all that.. just stick a screw driver on the hortzonatl side and push to the opposite side and pull out it comes right out no problems
Thanks, did you buys yours for around $28ish shipped from a UK seller? Care to clarify your method step by step?

Old 07-24-2011, 11:57 AM

yah something like that

Old 07-24-2011, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by joycesjag
You have to unscrew the inner fender well (the black plastic thingy) to gain access to the front side oval markers.

Hey nice pic you posted up
Mine must be broken. LOL. I just pushed them one way and they came off. I put a rag around a screw driver and just gently pushed them I cant remember which way gets them to come off then just pulled them with the screwdriver which they just unlock so it was very easy.
The only markers you can get in smoked or other then amber or red is the ovals. If you want to de amber the others you have to either paint or nite shades them. Does look damn sexy though.
Funny story got pulled over yesterday and the cop didnt say one word about the blacked out side markers and reflectors but gave me a warning ticket for my tint, which was why he said he was pulling me over. I thought thats what inspections were for. Oh well it was a warning and I really dont want to take my tint off so going to have to watch for cops and roll the windows down now.

Name:  DSCF9258.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  102.5 KB

Old 07-24-2011, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by vance580
Mine must be broken. LOL. I just pushed them one way and they came off. I put a rag around a screw driver and just gently pushed them I cant remember which way gets them to come off then just pulled them with the screwdriver which they just unlock so it was very easy.
The only markers you can get in smoked or other then amber or red is the ovals. If you want to de amber the others you have to either paint or nite shades them. Does look damn sexy though.
Funny story got pulled over yesterday and the cop didnt say one word about the blacked out side markers and reflectors but gave me a warning ticket for my tint, which was why he said he was pulling me over. I thought thats what inspections were for. Oh well it was a warning and I really dont want to take my tint off so going to have to watch for cops and roll the windows down now.

Does your state offer a TINT medical exemption waiver? If so, generally just your Dr needs to sign on the dotted line that your a risk for XXX and if nothing else, skin cancer risk as no one is safe...No matter how dark you are, if you have a cool Dr, he'll sign your form which gives you tint immunity... I have LEGAL 5% everywhere and choose NOT to tint the windshield...

Old 07-25-2011, 06:59 AM
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you most likely will get stopped again but next time it will be a ticket. NC needs money and tint tickets are just a easy way of getting it lol. You rolling your windows down isn't going to help because that same cop is going to be the one handing you your next ticket! Your best bet is to get 35% legal tint!

Old 07-25-2011, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

What is this fixation on everything blacked out?

Side markers especially the ones that blink are a safety issue.
I know I sure like seeing them blink on another car so I know what their doing.
Yellow is also very visible. I wish that all cars had yellow turn indicators.

Blacked out windows are another safety issue. If I can't see the driver, where he's looking etc. it's yet another safety signal I'm deprived of out there on the road.

You guys deserve to get lots and lots of tickets.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:13 AM
Veteran Member

The tint is for staying cool. I'm not going to take it off cause the whole reason I got it was because I was supposed to be moving to Florida where tint is a necessity. The air works so much better when you are blocking the UV's. If you remove tint you risk pulling the rear defrost off. So I'll just have to deal with it. I dont go to that city very often so I'm not really worried about it. If I get pulled again I'm changing my registration state to Florida so I do not have to worry about it. Even though my side markers are tinted it was with very light coats of nite shades so it still shines at night with it.
Here it is lit up at night.
Name:  DSCF8452.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  22.8 KB

Old 07-26-2011, 06:40 AM
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

The tint is for staying cool. I'm not going to take it off cause the whole reason I got it was because I was supposed to be moving to Florida where tint is a necessity. The air works so much better when you are blocking the UV's. If you remove tint you risk pulling the rear defrost off. So I'll just have to deal with it.
Vance, I used to believe the same thing about the rear defrost until I started doing a little research. It's an urban legend lol or shall I say something the tint shops use to charge you more to remove it. I purchased a car with OLD purple illegal tint on it and had it removed in my driveway with zero problems. Oh, don't ever let someone try to do your windows in two pieces. It's one piece or nothing!

Old tint (install unknown but at least 5-10 years)

Tint removed with rear defrost intact

Old 07-26-2011, 11:01 AM

Hi, does anyone know if this side marker will fit my 2001 passenger side?04 Jaguar s-type driver side marker light 89023556 OEM | eBay

Old 07-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member

you risk pulling the rear defrost off.
Originally Posted by NvmyJag
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Vance, I used to believe the same thing about the rear defrost until I started doing a little research. It's an urban legend lol or shall I say something the tint shops use to charge you more to remove it. I purchased a car with OLD purple illegal tint on it and had it removed in my driveway with zero problems.
Vance used the word RISK...Some tint shops have no idea what they're doing, they grab a corner and pull when it's a cold day. Heat is your best friend when minimizing damage to your rear defrost doing tint removal.

I used to live in GA and thought their heat was bad...That's nothing compared to where I am now in OK, it was 106f degrees yesterday...

Old 07-27-2011, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member

Yea after spending 2 summers in Iraq and Afghanistan in a row with no a/c, I'm going to do whatever I can to maximize the efficiency of my a/c so I can stay cool. So my tint is going to stay. Plus with how much I paid for it there is no way I'm just going to peel it off and just throw that money away. The ticket would be way cheaper. We are supposed to hit record highs this weekend and I'm going to be staying inside till it gets dark.