S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost bought an 03 STR in ATL - Details and Inspection Inside

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 11:47 AM
Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Almost bought an 03 STR in ATL - Details and Inspection Inside

I've been on the hunt to find that perfect STR and came accross this gem last week. See below attached link as well as carfax. $17K with 38K miles with a very nice color, wheel, interior combo - perhaps one of the best.

2003 Jaguar S-TYPE *R*NAVIGATION Lilburn, Georgia | Atlanta Used Cars Lilburn

CARFAX Vehicle History Report on SAJEA03V031M56848

I was ready to make the move but had the car inspected by a Jag repair shop within the area for a low price and came across the following issues:

• Original Battery
  • Plastic oil pan is leaking, needs replaced (good time to replace the gasket, inline connector, filter + the automatic trans fluid that is $60.00+ a quart)
  • L and R rear stabilizing links and sway bars need to be replaced
  • Dent on front bumper
  • Dent on driver "B" pillar
The Jag repair shop said it would be $2100.00 to replace everything with taxes and labor included not including the dents, that's another issue.

My question is that labor/parts quote reasonable? Also is it common to have these kinds of issues on a <40K mile STR? I realize the car is approaching 10 years old but its disconcerning nonetheless. Other interesting things are the tranny was replaced under warranty at 5K miles along with the fuel pump later.

The dealer would not negotiate with me so I just walked away. I am not paying KBB excellent condition for a car that is leaking oil. So if someone is in the Atlanta area and doesn't mind performing some TLC, this could be a good buy.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

wow that is a lot of services done, i blame it on no one driving the car...........lol

Man and here i was thinking asking 12 was too much for mine....... geeeeeeeeeeeezzzzz

Old 09-23-2011, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,392 Likes on 2,868 Posts

Good decision, rasputin. Way too much money for that car, even with the low mileage....

Wait for the now-inevitable double-dip recession barrelling its way towards us due to the global financial crisis. Deals will be much better because buyers will be few and far between once again. My philosophy is that if you cannot steal the vehicle on your own terms, walk away and do not look back. So much easier to do when the economy is in crisis mode as it was in December 2008 (when I stole our 2005 S-Type at 18,000 miles) and December 2000 (when I stole my 1999 Dodge Ram at 14,000 miles)....

Old 09-23-2011, 01:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I kelly blue book the car & if the car was in excellent condition it still wouldnt be worth that price. Im cant spreak on how the previous owner treated the car, but the fact that it had its tranny changed leads me to think that it might have been driven hard if not abused!

IMHO that dealer is asking too much and top it off it needs alot of work. Personaly I wont pull the trigger on that deal, you did the right thing by walking away. I todays economy, I cant get over that they werent able to negotiate a deal is ludicrous. I also find the fact that you cant drive it off the lot, without it having to come back for work a DEAL BREAKER!

Did u say $60 a quart for the tranny oil? That doesnt sound right either.

Keep looking on ebay, craiglist and other places Im positive that you'll find a better deal. You may not get one with such low milage but I bet that you can find a S-type R that doesnt need all that word and you can enjoy drving tbe car from day one, as it should be. Keep looking...

Old 09-23-2011, 01:21 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by momo
I kelly blue book the car & if the car was in excellent condition it still wouldnt be worth that price. Im cant spreak on how the previous owner treated the car, but the fact that it had its tranny changed leads me to think that it might have been driven hard if not abused!
Not always, because of the lurch issue with our cars some dealers did replace the whole transmission under warranty.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:37 PM
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by phd12volt
wow that is a lot of services done, i blame it on no one driving the car...........lol

Man and here i was thinking asking 12 was too much for mine....... geeeeeeeeeeeezzzzz

If I were in the market for an STR I'd be all over this one...

Old 09-23-2011, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 22,140 Likes on 8,852 Posts

Go to cars.com and pop in your zip code, then search out 500 miles. I found 6 STR's there...

Old 09-23-2011, 03:31 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Hey Rasputin, I know there are a couple of long time members on here selling some pretty sweet well cared for STR's. Jump over to the classified forum and see if they are still on there. Many guys on here have seen these cars in person and will tell you how nice they are. I think a couple have posted to this thread already. You might be a distance from where they are but will be worth it in the long run and the drive home will be the best drive you have ever had.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Rasputin, I spoken with Jason about his STR and you should really give it some heavy consideration. If I didnt have mine I'd scoop up his or Micheal Stars.

Both are members here and have very well cared for and maintained STR's

Old 09-23-2011, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

while i appreciate the props, mine is not 100% perfect. Seems maybe i tell to much about mine and it scares people off. I guess. I have sent pics and descriptions like 20 times already. Once i send the info, i never hear back. Kinda frustrating but at the same time i know mine insider and out. I fixed the driver window already which i was really upfront about, and while i was going over the car again, i did notice some extra wear on the insider front tires, so i guess ill throw front tires on her and get it realigned again.

Oh i have a small scratch on the rear seat too (my 7 year old did it) that seems to be an issue too.

Mechanically the car is 100% though.

If it doesnt sell, its fine with me though. I am quite happy with it, and still love driving it.

I just went to philly and back in it, it was so nice. It has been awhile since i took her out on a good jaunt. About 700 miles round trip. Oh if he really wants to see it in arizona, i will video it while driving, and take any pics of things he would want to see. Hell ill even drive it to him. Yeah i trust it that much to drive it myself across the country.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought my 05 STR with 60k, nav, new battery, new dunlop runflats, new brakes, fresh oil and a warranty for 17k. One owner car and near mint condition. Only flaw is a scuff on the very bottom of the front bumper from grazing a curb when parking. 17k for an 03 is too much to me even if it didn't need any work. Keep looking, you'll find another. I held off on an 03 because they didn't meet my offer and am very happy I went with the 05. Funny thing is, the dealer with the 03 called me today and is ready to work with my offer. hahah...too late!

Old 10-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

I appreciate all of the kind responses and shared experiences. They lowered the price by 2K, to $15k so I had to give them a call. Turns out the car needs a new transmission ($6800) and currently being installed at the jag dealer as we speak. Wow, it clearly was not meant to be! I wonder what is wrong with this car if this is the second transmission replacement, quite strange.

Oh well, the hunt continues...

Old 10-08-2011, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

$6800 is wayyyy too much for the transmission, it can be completely redone with factory parts for $1500 from reputable and experienced shops. The ZF unit is found in many cars and they are pretty simple.

I think price is also relative to what one wants not what KBB says, there are lots of people willing to pay above and beyond normal prices to get a super clean car regardless of miles. Ive had offers (and turned down) of $17k+ for mine with miles just hitting 90k. Theres not really another car out there for that price id like and my car is mint and ive had it long enough I know its ins and outs and whats been done/sorted through. In the future I might explore selling it again, you better believe Ill want all the money and then some though.

As well, sometimes low mile cars arent the best because they have just been sitting around A LOT.

When I bought my car I picked the 03 style because I preferred the looks over the 05 and newer, there are others out there as well with the same thought.

The funny thing is on non-R s types i usually prefer the 05+ style. I think its mainly because of the front bumper and wheel choices.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by bmw745ion19s
$6800 is wayyyy too much for the transmission, it can be completely redone with factory parts for $1500 from reputable and experienced shops. The ZF unit is found in many cars and they are pretty simple.

I think price is also relative to what one wants not what KBB says, there are lots of people willing to pay above and beyond normal prices to get a super clean car regardless of miles. Ive had offers (and turned down) of $17k+ for mine with miles just hitting 90k. Theres not really another car out there for that price id like and my car is mint and ive had it long enough I know its ins and outs and whats been done/sorted through. In the future I might explore selling it again, you better believe Ill want all the money and then some though.

As well, sometimes low mile cars arent the best because they have just been sitting around A LOT.

When I bought my car I picked the 03 style because I preferred the looks over the 05 and newer, there are others out there as well with the same thought.

The funny thing is on non-R s types i usually prefer the 05+ style. I think its mainly because of the front bumper and wheel choices.
...... +1, I completely agree with you on the preferring the 03-04' body style over the newer 05'+ versions.

Attached Thumbnails Almost bought an 03 STR in ATL - Details and Inspection Inside-str5.jpg  

Last edited by jag79; 10-08-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

+2 on the 03 to 04 STR bodystyles...more agressive look.