Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator seizure

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 09:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alternator seizure

Hi, folks.

Thought I'd jump in with a short blurb about my recent mishap with my 2001 4.0. We bought this car a little over a year ago as a 'get-around' car for our small condo in Ft. Lauderdale (main home in Northern California). Got the car for a grand, and except for the (as I understand it) usual crappy interior plastic cracks and breaks here and there, was a smooth and comfortable runner. Had it checked out when we bought it from a neighbor and all seemed fine. The paint was a bit tired so we spent another grand on a decent respray in the original sapphire blue metallic.

Feeling lucky, but having only driven it around town for a few hundred miles here and there, we decided to take a 200-mile trip to Kissimmee. It was a very smooth and comfortable drive on the Florida turnpike for about a hundred miles. Then - nothing. Engine died, all the dash lights came on, and then we heard a slight 'clunk' as I edged to the shoulder.

(boring l-o-n-g 100-mile tow back to Ft. Lauderdale)

When we got back, I couldn't find anything obvious in the electrics, and the starter worked so I knew the engine wasn't frozen. Peering in through all the engine covering I finally noticed some serpentine belt fraying. Had it towed to an independent Jag shop and found the damage. The alternator seized at about 75mph, and the force almost tore the water pump off along with other pulleys. The overall repair for a new alternator and water pump, thermostat, pulleys, and belts, total flushing a few times to get the system clean of metal bits (the water pump actually sheered a couple of bolts and they had to be drilled out) came to about $3500.

When we got the estimate we were tempted to turn it into a parts car. I checked with the local Jaguar dealer and was told that the alternator and water pump alone would run about $2000 in parts alone from them. But then, realizing it was a $50,000 car new ($75,000 in today's dollars), and have had similar bills on our BMWs, decided that we now have an excellently running $5500 S-Type. I know they're not really worth so much nowadays, but until this car I hadn't been in a Jag for decades and am very impressed with the ride. So, all I need to do now is get some replacement plastic bit for the interior (not a priority) and solve a driver window that doesn't work and a rear door that doesn't open (again, not a priority). I'm looking forward to my next trip the FL so I can get back out on the road in it!

Just a little post for public perusal. Glad to be on board this forum for all the great tidbits of into!

Old 02-26-2020, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 645 Likes on 505 Posts

Welcome. Sorry to hear about your expensive initiation to S-type ownership. There are tons on interior plastic bits for early (pre-facelift) S-types on eBay; it just takes patience and you will find what you seek.

Finding a good independent Jaguar mechanic/repair shop is also a must. Dealer pricing can (as you found out) can take your breath away....

I am hoping the the dealer checked the timing chain tensioners while the work on the front of the engine was being performed, as these are a known weak area on the 4.0 V8

Old 02-26-2020, 01:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It went to an independent shop... I just checked with the dealer on pricing to see if the shop was in the ball park. Yes, all was checked out, thanks! I went through a lot of sticker shock with my vintage MBZ (1985 300TD) and a couple of BMW Zs, and I should have realized that the Jags are still in the same genre of "expensive" to maintain. But I love the ride! Thanks.

The following users liked this post:
S-Type Owner (02-26-2020)