S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AM I GETTING A GOOD DEAL ON THE S-Type R ???????? STR Vs X-Type ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: AM I GETTING A GOOD DEAL ON THE S-Type R ???????? STR Vs X-Type ??

If that X-type is an 04+ you're getting a very good deal and it would be the more reliable car, but if that really is an STR, you would be getting a GREAT GREAT GREAT DEAL and jump on it yesterday. No comparison WHATSOEVER man. I hope you're smart enough to jump on it...with only one exception and that's if the car is in bad shape.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:44 PM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

i'd take a STR anyday.. reliable.. 400 HP

Old 11-29-2007, 12:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That STR deal almost sounds too good to be true to me. I would check into it a lot.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Just make sure to get it checked out. Everything about the car is expensive to fix. I got my '03 4.2 (same engine but not supercharged) with zero problems and so far have had five problems...

Sunroof inoperable...
Transmission squak...
Engine splash cover fell off...
Steering wheel creeks...
Engine "stutters" when you decelerate then accelerate...

Old 11-30-2007, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

Don't let it expire...that's that. Just pay the extra 2K in summer of 08 for an extended warranty.

Old 11-30-2007, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

I don't know a ton of the reliablity of the STR...I do have repeatedly read that most non-STR need a major repair shortly after 100K. I also know that MOST forced induction cars always seem to need a major repair at 100K. I advice you to continue searching on the net to verify if it's reliable. Also again, everything is expensive, I don't know what is and isn't covered under the warranty, but if a power window goes out, expect on paying around $500 to fix.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

3 time Jag owner!
I'm sure that all of the Jag owners know this but for potential buyers of any Jag it takes a special person that knows cars to really appreciate these cars. They are quirky and do require special attention at times, however, I believe that's what makes them so special and althought they are sometimes expensive to repair if you get to know your car and learn how to take care of most of the repairs yourself such as brakes and things like that or find a reputable mechanic that knows what he's doing you don't have to have a fortune to own one. Also starting with a Select Edition warranty is a good idea to get any potential major breakdowns paid for. Jaguar for me is still the only car that makes me go WOW when I see one and when I drive one and until another car can do that to me I will continue to be a Jag. owner! HEY, It's a Jag! ( also the coolest nickname of any care on the market)
P.S. I have had my share of problems with my STR but I still can't wait to get it out everyday and drive it.

I guess if your the type of person that gets upset everytime that your car has a problem or has to take it to the dealer everytime it needs some work then maybe you shouldn't own a Jag. or any other car for that matter because they all have their problems!

OK, I said too much (LOL) But thanks for listening.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:20 AM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

s type R are a awesome car... i havent seen anything major with them.. only things i see are evap leaks,shock bushings,tires, HID problems, MAF sensor failures, nothing really major.. to be afraid about.. excellant cars.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member

This coming from THEE genious. I'd say GO FOR IT!

Old 12-05-2007, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First time Jag owner and PROUD of it

Best thing about the S Type R is they are unique on the road (many BMWs, Mercedese etc) and very fast. Looks beautiful and graceful. A week back I was racing a BMW 335i (veryfast car with twin turbos) on my way to the dealer ship to fix my engine light<< point to be noted (it does give u hard time but it all worth it ) He accelerate and I was like on his tail all the time (dont want to overtake him just for fun) When I turm on a street this guy pulls beside me and said "Wow man, this is a beautiful and fast car!!!!"

You got the point! right

Old 12-05-2007, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah i had fun with a guy in a 335 tore it up, so much for his fake M license plate frame lol i dont care how fast they are, they ( or any 3) def are for girls! Guys have to drive the M or a 5 series n up. Mine has had its fair share of problems but the dealer has always taken good care of me ( just had 3rd visit last week) as of this friday I will have only driven mine for an hour the past 2 weeks. I took the 7 for a service and have been driving a 750 but i miss my Jag a lot! I also agree all cars have there problems, who cares as long as the dealer takes good care of you to your satisfaction (I'm difficult to please!) and you dont have to pay for it. This is coming from someone who lives 2 hours from his dealer most of the time!