S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am retrofitting Power Amp, Voice and Phone (Bluetooth).

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 09:26 AM
jya
Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Am retrofitting Power Amp, Voice and Phone (Bluetooth).

My 2002.5 STR's current vehicle spec. has Navigation and Cd Player with D2b lead that only has one extra accessory point available that of course was looped (pictured).
The car is factory prewired for Phone and Power Amp BUT no voice loom!
So I assume I will need -:
a new D2b lead with FIVE connection points now (for all five modules).
and a voice loom.

Any suggestions where to from here?

Thanks, John.

Attached Thumbnails Am retrofitting Power Amp, Voice and Phone (Bluetooth).-d2bleadwith3plugs.jpg  
Old 04-20-2011, 04:24 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by jya
My 2002.5 STR's current vehicle spec. has Navigation and Cd Player with D2b lead that only has one extra accessory point available that of course was looped (pictured).
The car is factory prewired for Phone and Power Amp BUT no voice loom!
So I assume I will need -:
a new D2b lead with FIVE connection points now (for all five modules).
and a voice loom.

Any suggestions where to from here?

Thanks, John.
Help me clarify.....
Your car currently has Navigation and CD changer only in the trunk, the lead marked Phone/Voice in the picture has a loop jumper plugged in there. The loop is not shown in the picture. Is that right??

And you want to end up with Navigation, CD changer, Voice, Phone and Amplifier. Correct??

Last edited by xjrguy; 04-20-2011 at 04:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jya (04-20-2011)
Old 04-20-2011, 06:30 PM
jya

Absolutely correct Steve.
Thanks for the reply. I was starting to give up hope.
John.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by jya
Absolutely correct Steve.
Thanks for the reply. I was starting to give up hope.
John.
Don't give up hope, just takes folks a little time to hit all the posts.

Now, you'd be good on everything but the amplifier. The amp is "premium sound", which you don't have. To get there would mean re-manufacturing the car, basically. Premium sound is an entirely different car harness, along with a different audio unit in the fascia. The speakers are wired to the amp in the boot with premium sound [not to mention there are 10 instead of the 4 speakers in your car] and the standard speakers are wired directly to the fascia unit; that alone means a whole car harness.

You are still good to go with the bluetooth phone and voice activation by adding those modules and the new D2B optic link harness. That optic link would be part #XR826727, which has changed to XR837744. You will also need the microphone, of course, and the bluetooth module that goes in the console. And I believe the small loop optic cable will not be used in that configuration. The audio system will need to be configured to the new setup once you are done to be sure all the functions will be correct.

Good luck!

Last edited by xjrguy; 04-22-2011 at 07:58 AM.
jya (04-22-2011)
Old 04-22-2011, 12:42 AM
jya

Wow, thats great info Steve! Thank you ever so much. How do you know all this? I assume you have been there before. I struggled to find all the info I needed when I did the searches.
I didn't realise the premium system was so different. I knew the addition of amp, subs and 2-way speakers was the difference of course but I figured I could just simply add the amp (which I have unfortunately bought incidentally) as I had the Nav in my car to control it and that the PRE WIRE (for the amp) was already there.
Of course it just plugged straight in to the amp! But didn't make any difference of course to the sound, even when I took off the loop from the optic link harness and plugged it into the amp.
Now I know that the my standard issue speakers are wired direct to the head unit.
Begs the question as to why the loom for the amp would still be sitting there? Standardisation in production perhaps?
Anyhow I had successfully upgraded the 4 door speakers already; Fronts to splits and rears to two way (all 6.5"). Huge difference but it's begging for more power!

Have the 2 bluetooth modules, microphone and the voice module to fit, BUT I am still in need of the voice loom as it's not prewired for voice.
I don't know if it's available, I don't know if I can get it.
Plus any suggestions for a better place than the dealers to get the new fibre optic link (XR837744)?
Thanks again. Keep up the good work!

Attached Thumbnails Am retrofitting Power Amp, Voice and Phone (Bluetooth).-ampplugprewire..jpg   Am retrofitting Power Amp, Voice and Phone (Bluetooth).-bluetoothpluggedtoprewire..jpg   Am retrofitting Power Amp, Voice and Phone (Bluetooth).-rearofvoicemodule.jpg   Am retrofitting Power Amp, Voice and Phone (Bluetooth).-topofvoicemodule.jpg  
Old 04-22-2011, 01:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

You can get most of the info from JTIS. Especially the circuit diagrams.

More still is on jag's TOPIx (was GTR).

Steve's a jag tech

jya (04-22-2011)
Old 04-22-2011, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by jya
Wow, thats great info Steve! Thank you ever so much. How do you know all this? I assume you have been there before. I struggled to find all the info I needed when I did the searches.
I didn't realise the premium system was so different. I knew the addition of amp, subs and 2-way speakers was the difference of course but I figured I could just simply add the amp (which I have unfortunately bought incidentally) as I had the Nav in my car to control it and that the PRE WIRE (for the amp) was already there.
Of course it just plugged straight in to the amp! But didn't make any difference of course to the sound, even when I took off the loop from the optic link harness and plugged it into the amp.
Now I know that the my standard issue speakers are wired direct to the head unit.
Begs the question as to why the loom for the amp would still be sitting there? Standardisation in production perhaps?
Anyhow I had successfully upgraded the 4 door speakers already; Fronts to splits and rears to two way (all 6.5"). Huge difference but it's begging for more power!

Have the 2 bluetooth modules, microphone and the voice module to fit, BUT I am still in need of the voice loom as it's not prewired for voice.
I don't know if it's available, I don't know if I can get it.
Plus any suggestions for a better place than the dealers to get the new fibre optic link (XR837744)?
Thanks again. Keep up the good work!
Hmmmm. All the stateside cars in 2003 MY were pre-wired for voice. Send me a PM with your VIN# and I'll see if I can find out if that was supposed to be fitted to yours.
The fibre optic link still shows readily available, but only a dealer item as far as I know.
The amp connectors are there because of other supporting wires needed. For instance if only the bluetooth phone was added, there is a jumper connector that is necessary to loop the circuit so the mic works for the phone.

Cheers,

jya (04-23-2011)
Old 04-23-2011, 08:57 PM
jya

Yes interesting that all the 2003 stateside cars were prewired for voice. Maybe that was the case with Aust. from 2003 as well.
Here of course deliveries started from 2002.5, which may explain something plus the fact that mine appears to be a 'pre-production run' car. Perhaps it was made with some 2001 parts as well!
I have sent you a PM with my Vin# for you to look at.
Also please see some photos showing a couple of unknown plugs that I have been unable to identify.
Thanks again, John.

Attached Thumbnails Am retrofitting Power Amp, Voice and Phone (Bluetooth).-whatisgreenplug-.jpg   Am retrofitting Power Amp, Voice and Phone (Bluetooth).-greenplug.jpg   Am retrofitting Power Amp, Voice and Phone (Bluetooth).-whatarefoamcoveredplugs-.jpg