S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another AC saga, with a question

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 05:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another AC saga, with a question

Hi, Given that it's summer here in DC, I finally started paying attention to the Jag (S type, 2001, V-6). Cute car and given that it was a free one from a neighbor it has long since proven it's value.

I received a complaint of no AC from the daily driver, so I took a look. A number of problems all going back to age and benign neglect.

The cooling fan wouldn't turn on when the AC turned on - checked fuses/power to cooling fan control module and ultimately replaced the module. Now it works
The DCCV failed open, allowing heater to easily beat the AC. Tested the DCCV with DC power and I couldn't hear the solenoids, and given that it's 20 years old I replaced it.
The failing DCCV killed the Climate Control Module, so at some point I'm going to remove it from the dash and fix the electronics.
I cut into the wiring loom cover and spliced a ground to the wires going to the two return wires on the DCCV. Now it's always closed, and the AC can do it's job (and it does a nice job when it's properly charged!). I figured this was cleaner than just hose clamping off the water line to the DCCV.

I'm measuring about .76amps per side which seems consistent with what I've read on the forum.

My question: Does the Climate Control Module have some form of ballast resistor to reduce the current flow, or is the DCCV supposed to handle the full current? I've seen systems designed both ways. I didn't see any large ceramic style resistors in images of the CCM's under repair.

Anyone else want to admit to executing this "hack"?

Thanks,
Larry

Old 06-12-2021, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

I think it uses PWM which in effect the DCCV solenoids average and so part-close.

If you don't have a 'scope, you might see it with a meter on AC.

Old 06-12-2021, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,448 Posts

Originally Posted by LCSchuette
Tested the DCCV with DC power and I couldn't hear the solenoids
Can you hear the noise from the new DCCV? I wasn't aware the solenoids made enough noise to hear them. I never thought of that for troubleshooting, but am curious how much noise a new DCCV will make.

The failing DCCV killed the Climate Control Module...
Are you positive about that? The early models have a fairly robust module, and aren't prone to damage like the later models.

I'm going to remove it from the dash and fix the electronics...
Consider sending it out to this guy for repair, which includes an upgrade with overload protection:

DIY: Diagnose It Yourself - JaguarClimateControl.com

Another option is to find a used module on eBay. I just looked and saw several available, most under $75.

I'm measuring about .76amps per side which seems consistent with what I've read on the forum.
Sounds right. Per the link above, 0.6 - 0.9 amps per side is normal.

is the DCCV supposed to handle the full current?
The circuit uses Pulse Width Modulation. I think the DCCV is designed to handle the full current.

Anyone else want to admit to executing this "hack"?
No.