S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Coils replace thread (with pictures) 2001 S-type 3.0v6

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 09:55 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Another Coils replace thread (with pictures) 2001 S-type 3.0v6

I'm in the middle of doing a full update of my wife's new (to her) S-type. Bought it with two misfiring coils. Ordered up all the parts (I thought) to do the replace the right way.

So I identified the issue right off the bat as soon as I pulled the plugs.

Another Coils replace thread (with pictures) 2001 S-type 3.0v6-rendad7.jpg

There was standing oil on both ends of the coil channel below the valves. Coil "A" was absolutely soaked and the plug had probably 1/2" of standing oil down around the plug. It was misfiring.

Coil "B" had a tiny amount of oil down around the plug but hadn't been misfiring and plug looked fine in general.

Coil "C" had about 1/3rd as much oil as "A" but still a lot. It was misfiring as well.

Looks like the valve cover gasket was baked by the intake manifold and started leaking around coil "A". When the the car would brake, the oil sloshes past "B" and lands in Coil "C". The coil springs in "C" and "A" were also slightly rusty on the tips where they'd contact the plug. I'm wondering if someone didn't wash the engine bay and got water down there.

Anyway, so I replaced the plugs and coils with new ones. I sopped up the oil as best I could. Used dielectric grease on coilboots to hopefully avoid rust in future, and plug anti-seize.

I've added "new valve cover gasket" to my parts list. The non-manifold (drives side) coils were dry as a bone and no problems. (Car only has 40k original miles so wouldn't expect any problems).

I'll go ahead and replace both gaskets when they come in.

Moving on.

So I had done my homework as best I could so I knew that I was supposed to replace the notorious dry rot prone rubber elbow below the plenum.

So the lower elbow is fine with no dry rot, but the UPPER elbow it's connected to is totally rotted out. Guess I'll be off to the fiche site to find out what that part # is. I'll replace them both.

Another Coils replace thread (with pictures) 2001 S-type 3.0v6-q740dfv.jpg

Speaking of dry rotted rubber (this is a Hawaii car so dry rotted rubber is extremely common) this little dude is gone as well. It connects to the little "J" shaped tube that exits below the intake manifold where it connects to the MAF. No idea the name/part number here either.

Another Coils replace thread (with pictures) 2001 S-type 3.0v6-da6qkuy.jpg

* Continued in next post reply

Last edited by ssshield; 10-07-2015 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:09 PM
Default Coil replace continued (part 2)

So I guess the jury is out on whether the MAF/Intake manifold gasket should be replaced or not. I wasn't going to but since I'm ordering up all the other stuff guess I'll do that too.

It seems to be in good condition. I razor scraped the surfaces and cleaned them with brake cleaner. Cleaned up the oil in the MAF as well. I've heard guys say you should clean your MAF occasionally. There was a lot of oily residue in there. More than I expected. Took two or three Scott towels to get it clean. I've cleaned the MAF grid on Japanese cars before and they were dry as a bone. Is the oil normal for the S-type? Should I be cleaning anything else in the MAF? The arrow points to where the oil film was. This is after I cleaned it.

Another Coils replace thread (with pictures) 2001 S-type 3.0v6-pmubihr.jpg

Okay, so on to the confusing stuff. I guess I bought the wrong manifold gaskets for my car. I suspect I got the >2002 version of these. Note the blue is way thicker than the existing ones and won't fit in the plastic cards with the three gaskets that sits on top of the plenum. They're much much smaller/thinner. I suspect I need to order the entire plastic piece for both sides of the plenum. There is a very similar set under the plenum. Is this correct? Any help appreciated.

See here the blue ones I bought

Another Coils replace thread (with pictures) 2001 S-type 3.0v6-u3htuby.jpg

But see the card gaskets here on top/bottom of my plenum. Are these usually all replaced top and bottom when doing manifold work?

Another Coils replace thread (with pictures) 2001 S-type 3.0v6-rxkgkes.jpg

* Note: Continued in #3 thread reply

Old 10-07-2015, 10:27 PM
Default Continued (Part 3)

So that brings us to actually replacing the lower elbow below the plenum.

I'm not sure if there's some magic to getting that thing (plenum itself) out of the way but I couldn't get it disconnected from what looks like the upper A/C line. What a PITA. I moved the plenum as much as I dared to the passenger side of the engine but it's going to be a nightmare trying to pull that lower elbow off and replace the card/gaskets below the plenum without breaking stuff. Is this normal? Am I missing some way to pull that plenum out? Note that "A" is the A/C (I think) line. "C" is the bolts I removed to try to free that A/C line bracket from the plenum but it didn't work, mainly because "B" (the vertical connector there) is still connecting the A/C line to the plenum.

Another Coils replace thread (with pictures) 2001 S-type 3.0v6-nukjlb0.jpg

So I moved the plenum over as much as I dared, and then we have the below.

"X" is the notorious dry-rot prone elbow. In my case it seems fine, but as I mentioned earlier, "Y" is is fine, but "W" is totally rotted to shreds (hard to tell in picture but trust me). I marked "Z" to show you the lower plenum gasket/card. Anyone know the following:
A) Name or part number for "W"
B) Does "Z" get replaced normally during this maintenance? Do I order just the rubber ring or the whole card/gasket as combined piece

Another Coils replace thread (with pictures) 2001 S-type 3.0v6-t94ba5y.jpg

So that brings me to now. I'm going to run through the fiche/parts finders tonight and try to order up replacements for the things I found issues with (including the valve covers).

I'm also trying to identify a mystery part which I posted in another thread so if you know what it is, please reply.

Another Coils replace thread (with pictures) 2001 S-type 3.0v6-dxucv1x.png

The yellow indicates where I found it. This was right after removing the intake manifold. It was just laying there.

Anyway, that's where I'm at currently. Have some rags covering the intake manifold openings currently until the parts come in.

Please reply with any help/advice.

Hopefully this helps someone. I tried to document as much as possible to contribute to the forum body of knowledge. I've seen more >2002 coil replace threads so thought I'd do one for us 99 --> 2001 guys.

Thank you. - Shane

Last edited by ssshield; 10-07-2015 at 10:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ssshield:
joycesjag (10-08-2015), Jumpin' Jag Flash (10-18-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 10:44 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Well... I'll take the simple one: The mystery piece I believe is rivet for securing lower edge of black plastic cowl under windshield. There should be 6-8 of them. The one you're holding is missing plunger, which is depressed to unsecure. Here are aftermarket replacements I used.

Last edited by Quantico; 10-07-2015 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Add pic
Old 10-07-2015, 11:01 PM

Awesome. Thanks Quantico. Called it exactly right. "The mystery piece I believe is rivet for securing lower edge of black plastic cowl under windshield"

Another Coils replace thread (with pictures) 2001 S-type 3.0v6-gcwttam.png

Old 10-08-2015, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

I think you are confused?

The MAF does not get any oil on it because it's upstream from the PCV port.

The Throttle body insides will be coated in oil because it's downstream from the PCV port.
Where the car was built has no bearing on the oil coating.

What you cleaned out was the throttle body.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:44 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Tbird I believe is correct.....

MAF is sensor after air filter, before throttle body. It's a heated wire probe essentially that measure air volume by how much air it takes to lower probe's temperature. If it's covered with dirt, etc., it is essentially "insulated" and it takes more air to cool it a given amount. Thus oxygen sensor will show car running lean (positive fuel trim at both idle and load) since there's extra "unmetered" air in combustion process. Or at least thats what Schrodinger's Cat says...I think I got that right....

Exercise care cleaning MAF, just spray off with MAF cleaner. It's delicate and shouldn't be scrubbed/brushed.

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (10-19-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 11:42 AM
Received 6,323 Likes on 5,510 Posts

The gaskets vary by VIN but I suspect you need XR85294

Take a look here it may help. jaghelp.com: Intake manifold in a 2002 S-type 3.0L

Old 10-08-2015, 03:26 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I would recommend that you replace all 6 coilpacks. I had replaced the three under the manifold and drove the car for several thousand miles and it started acting up and throwing codes none for a cylinder misfire and once I replaced the other 3 all was good. Change all 6!

Old 10-08-2015, 05:04 PM
Default all six coils

Originally Posted by Gus
I would recommend that you replace all 6 coilpacks. I had replaced the three under the manifold and drove the car for several thousand miles and it started acting up and throwing codes none for a cylinder misfire and once I replaced the other 3 all was good. Change all 6!
Thanks for the response. I did go ahead and replace all six plugs and coils. I've read about people saying they're not especially long lived. I should have written that better in the text. Thank you.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:06 PM
Default gaskets

Originally Posted by Norri
The gaskets vary by VIN but I suspect you need XR85294
Thank you. That answers the question I had regarding whether or not I needed to order individual rubber ring gaskets or all three on a card. I didn't know they were VIN specific either. I'll do the homework to ensure I get the right ones. Much appreciated.

Last edited by ssshield; 10-08-2015 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:08 PM
Default MAF/TBody

Originally Posted by tbird6
I think you are confused?
You think correctly. I was calling the MAF and throttlebody altogether the MAF. Makes total sense they are separate. That'll help me since I'm ordering a new throttlebody gasket. Much appreciated.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Quantico
Tbird I believe is correct.....

MAF is sensor after air filter, before throttle body.

Exercise care cleaning MAF, just spray off with MAF cleaner. It's delicate and shouldn't be scrubbed/brushed.

Thanks again Quantico. That clears it up. I was calling the tbody and MAF together the MAF.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:15 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

First I would recommend getting a copy of JTIS. If you are not near a Jaguar dealership go to a Ford dealership and ask for a breakdown for a 3.0 Lincoln LS that is what I did when I was looking for my elbow replacement I had no idea what it was called.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:40 PM

I'll get the JTIS definitely. I've got Jaguar Honolulu about twenty minutes away so I'll see see if they can identify the part real quick this afternoon then go hunt down the JTIS. I saw somewhere on here that it's only $10 or so.

I was able to get to the bottom of the gaskets mystery.

The blue rings are for 2002 and newer S-type. For 99-->2001 these are the correct set

Another Coils replace thread (with pictures) 2001 S-type 3.0v6-netf1sb.png

I'll update the reviews on Amazon to help to next punter that happens along and runs into this like me. Amazon said the blue ones were correct but they aren't for my year range. The gaskets are bought pre-installed on cards like in the picture. I included the correct valve cover gaskets as well.

Last pieces needed for this project should be the two dry rotted hoses.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:49 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Love Amazon! I think you can download the JTIS from this forum

Old 10-08-2015, 08:09 PM
Received 6,323 Likes on 5,510 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
Love Amazon! I think you can download the JTIS from this forum
You can, you can also get the JPEC parts catalogue that will give you all the part numbers you may need.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

I can't remember if the pre-2003 cars had the IMT O-rings or not...if so, definitely change those, too, as long as you have the intake off-much easier to get to with it dismounted.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ics-faq-32135/

Last edited by aholbro1; 10-08-2015 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by aholbro1
I can't remember if the pre-2003 cars had the IMT O-rings or not...if so, definitely change those, too, as long as you have the intake off-much easier to get to with it dismounted.
All the S-types have IMT rings I believe. I changed mine out yesterday while I have the manifold off. It looks like someone's already been in my motor even with only 43k miles on it since it had the "newer" aftermarket green IMT rings on it instead of the stock yellow. I went ahead and replaced them since I had a fresh set.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:49 PM
Default Continued (Part #4)

So to continue the saga. Last we left off we didn't know the part numbers for some parts. After some digging I found OEM, which led to Ford equivalent, which led back to Amazon again.

So, starting at the notorious "lower breather elbow" below the plenum marked "A".
We find that it's
Jaguar Part #XR845730 is also Ford/Lincoln LS part #Ford 3W4Z-6767-CA which Amazon has an aftermarket part for if you search for the Ford part number. Score.
And only $11 on prime And only $11 on prime
Another Coils replace thread (with pictures) 2001 S-type 3.0v6-tpxlhe5.jpg

So now onto the rotted mystery piece that the Jaguar dealer couldn't find for me. It's marked here as "B".
I found it on Amazon as well and even Prime again for only $8.54 I found it on Amazon as well and even Prime again for only $8.54
. Score. This was part# W0133-1903195. It's called a "breather hose" on Amazon.

Another Coils replace thread (with pictures) 2001 S-type 3.0v6-wq1wdmh.jpg

So that's where I'm at currently. The last mystery piece is this thing which is rotted to shreds. It connects to the bottom "J" tube on the manifold I believe. I can't find the rubber by itself. I may have to buy an entire tube assembly (assuming I can find the part number for the assembly.)

Another Coils replace thread (with pictures) 2001 S-type 3.0v6-sd529nt.png

It sure looks a lot like
THIS LINK ON AMAZON THIS LINK ON AMAZON
but I can't confirm yet.

So that's where I'm at. Found the two our of three mystery pieces. I'm ordering them now and continuing the fight. I'll try to do a more succinct sticky post for these posts ones I've got all this sorted to help the 99-->2001 guys in the future.

Last edited by ssshield; 10-08-2015 at 09:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Another Coils replace thread (with pictures) 2001 S-type 3.0v6