S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Expansion Tank Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2023, 05:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Expansion Tank Problem

My 2000 V6 Jaguar S-type has experienced the common problem of its radiator expansion tank cracking and leaking. I have been unable to find a new or second-hand replacement (XR849532, XR816503) in Australia, and even overseas they are often out of stock or very expensive. However new replacements are freely available for 2002.5 S-types (C2Z13764, C2C41899). Therefore I have 3 questions:

1. Will the C2Z13764 fit or can be adapted to fit in some way to a 2000 S-type?

2. Has anyone successfully repaired an original tank in some way, for example, using fibreglass?

3. Can anyone recommend a generic overflow tank available on the Internet which can be effectively substituted for the original?
Thanks for any advice.

Old 01-19-2023, 03:17 PM
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I have a 2003 S Type and the expansion tank is different, but before I got around to getting a replacement for it I found an easy repair. If your tank has fractures, but holds coolant when the car is not running and has no pressure, it can be repaired at least temporarily, it might even hold for years. Just get some good quality aluminum tape and clean and dry your tank on the outside, apply the aluminum tape to the fractured areas and beyond the cracks as good as you can. The tape will hold the tank together and not allow the fractures to expand and leak when pressurized. A tank from a Mustang or modern Thunderbird might work also if one from a newer S Type won't.
Another thing that I did and has worked great for the coolant system is to replace the Jaguar 20psi cap.with one from a modern Thunderbird that has 16 psi and the car runs fine and with less pressure all the components in the cooling system will last longer with less pressure. The only benefit from higher pressure is to allow the engine to run hotter without boiling over. Unless you are doing long runs in the desert, it will probably work fine for you too.

Old 01-19-2023, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,066 Likes on 856 Posts
Old 01-20-2023, 04:01 PM
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I forgot to mention it, but if you use aluminum tape put on two or more layers of it, for more strength.

Old 01-20-2023, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 310 Posts

I just checked: You will find both versions (XR849532, XR816503) on Alibaba. Some claim that their MOQ is only 2. Price is cheap...

But in case you never brought something on Alibaba:
You need patience to get a straight answer from a seller there. Some do not reply, if you just want 2. Some, who advertise MOQ 2 do actually not sell you just 2.
The price and the postage costs needs to be negotiated. Be very cautious that the postage to pay includes customs clearance and delivery to your door! That is extremely important. In case you make the mistake to accept FOB, you can be sure that you will have to pay a few hundred $ on top, if not 1000. These days the postage/courier costs often surpass the cost of the parts.

And this would not apply in your case, but be careful when ordering from Overseas into Australia that the combined value of items and postage would not surpass the AU$1000 mark, else you will have a lot of "fun" with customs...

Old 01-22-2023, 02:54 AM
Default Another Expansion Tank Problem

Thanks for the suggestions members of the forum have given me regarding my expansion tank. I intend to experiment with them when I manage to get the tank out of the car. Some I had already tried, such as ordering a replacement through Alibaba, but always found they required a minimum order of 50.

I am still trying to understand the difference between the pre- and post-2002.5 expansion tanks and their coolant plumbing. I can see that my 2000 S-type tank has three chambers with a large tube at the bottom and two at the top, but the 2002.5 appears to still have the large tube at the bottom but only one tube at the top (owners of a 2002.5 perhaps can confirm this). This then raises some other questions:

1. Why is there an extra tube on my tank, what does it do, and why and how did Jaguar redesign the coolant system for the 2002.5 to reduce it to just one tube at the top?

2. Can I convert my Jag to only needing a single tube at the top instead of two, perhaps by removing or blocking one of the hoses to the tank?

3. Finally, why is it that many generic expansion tanks also only have one tube at the top?

Thanks again for any members insight to this design difference and its possible conversion.

Old 01-22-2023, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member

I can check tomorrow, how many tubes I have on my 2004. I would say 1 big one underneath (the flow out), also 3 chambers and a small on on top, the "flow in".
Where exactly does the big une underneath on your tank go to? And where do the 2 big ones on top come from exactly?

Old 01-22-2023, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member

like i said buy the metal tank for the tbird and the ls

Old 01-22-2023, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,473 Likes on 1,941 Posts

Nice find Xalty! I had not seen that before. It says Lincoln LS and T-bird only but it fits the S Type too?
What years? Way better than the plastic ones that will always fail with time.

Old 01-22-2023, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member

all of the x200s until x202 introduction. later ones just buy the redesigned oe tank and it will last 10+ years

some cars had level sensors but removed quickly because with a CHT sensor it’s not needed. if you manage to overheat an early v6 you are truly special

Last edited by xalty; 01-22-2023 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-22-2023, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,090 Likes on 1,477 Posts

Originally Posted by xalty
like i said buy the metal tank for the tbird and the ls
Got a brand and part number? Still talking about the pre-facelift V6?

i looked on RockAuto and they showed the same Uro C2C34318 for the Thunderbird, LS, and early Jaguar V6. Unfortunately it was plastic.

Old 01-22-2023, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member

@ Magus: While I also think that the above mentioned metal version of the expansion tank is the way to go, I wanted to reply specifically to your question, if you can't use the later S-Type version (e.g. 2004) of that tank:
I had not a closer look. I have a spare tank (the old one) and a new one build in. If you require any specific pictures/views, let me know. I think it is highly unlikely that you could do anything with that newer tank on your car: The big outflow at the bottom is of way greater diameter than yours. From there it goes to the pump and to a pipe, which disappears behind the firewall. And from the piping located above the pump, the thinner pipe leads to the upper inflow of the tank.
Since the shape is very different and the newer tank is bigger (in width at least), I also cannot see where you would find a space for it in you engine compartment...

Old 01-23-2023, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member

Karl no part number as it's an aftermarket fabricated Al. tank. Follow Xalty's link above to see it on EBay.
Looks well made in the pictures.

Old 01-23-2023, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Karl no part number as it's an aftermarket fabricated Al. tank. Follow Xalty's link above to see it on EBay.
Ah, thanks. I missed his previous reply with eBay link.

Has anybody installed one of those on an early V6? eBay has a feature to check if a part fits your vehicle and it says no. May not be 100% accurate, so I thought I’d ask.

Old 01-24-2023, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member

Yes that was my question too? Since the 1st gen. S Type and 1st gen LS were pretty close the tank must fit?
Not sure but Xalty says it does I think?

Old 01-24-2023, 11:07 PM
Default A few more details.

I have now removed the tank from the Jag and I can see that the larger hose connected to the bottom of the tank moves around and behind the firewall (perhaps for the heating system?), while regarding the upper two pipes at the top of the tank, one is connected to a rubber tube which then forks either side of the throttle/air intake system, presumably to heat the incoming air. The second pipe is completely blocked off internally and so has no effect on the cooling system and has no function, so I don’t know why it is there.

I note that Peter has said that the larger pipe at the bottom of the tank is much larger in the more modern S-Types, and also the area for the expansion tank is different, so the later tanks cannot fit pre-2002.5 S-types. Thanks for that Peter, it answers the question of whether a C2C41899 can be used in place of a XR849532. Perhaps you could share some of your photos on the forum so that others can see the difference?

In respect to the leak from my tank, I can now see a vertical crack down one of the inward-facing corners of the tank, so I am not going to be able to tape it up, and being in RHD Australia I am not going to be able to use any alternatives from LHD countries such as USA or Europe. Therefore my alternatives now seem to be finding a new RHD one for sale somewhere, fiber-glassing my existing tank or finding someone who could fabricate a new one for me at a reasonable cost.

Old 01-25-2023, 05:49 AM
Veteran Member

I will post some tank pictures of the 2004 model hopefully tomorrow, but I am sure, it is not good for your pre 2002.5 version.
Meanwhile: There are pictures of my exp. tank in my thread here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...aks%94-263540/

I see you are wondering about LHD and RHD differences of your expansion tank... I am also - obviously - in Australia: my 2004 expansion tank is (when you sit in the car and look to the front) on the right. Is yours also on the right? Then we just need to hear from a US-owner of a pre-2002.5 S-Type, on which side their expansion tank is... - because I strongly assume that they are in the US exactly where they are in Australia - They would not produce a mirror-imaged-engine for the US...

Old 01-25-2023, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Peter_of_Australia
Then we just need to hear from a US-owner of a pre-2002.5 S-Type, on which side their expansion tank is...
I have an '02 V6, US spec model. I sit on the left side because that's where the steering wheel is located, the way God intended.

The coolant reservoir is located on the left side of the engine compartment when facing forward. To be precise, that's not a conditional statement. If I were to turn around and face aft, the coolant reservoir remains in the same position. It doesn't move based on which direction I'm looking.

Here's a stock image of a US spec early V6 engine compartment, with a handy arrow added pointing to the coolant reservoir:

Base image shamelessly stolen from: https://www.carsdirect.com/2001/jaguar/s-type/pictures

Old 01-25-2023, 05:00 PM
Received 169 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by kr98664
I have an '02 V6, US spec model. I sit on the left side because that's where the steering wheel is located, the way God intended.

The coolant reservoir is located on the left side of the engine compartment when facing forward. To be precise, that's not a conditional statement. If I were to turn around and face aft, the coolant reservoir remains in the same position. It doesn't move based on which direction I'm looking.

Here's a stock image of a US spec early V6 engine compartment, with a handy arrow added pointing to the coolant reservoir:

Base image shamelessly stolen from: https://www.carsdirect.com/2001/jaguar/s-type/pictures
That’s interesting to note they are on the opposite side on the LHD models.
However, I must take exception to the statement the left is the side that God intended to put the steering wheel on. This is a Jaguar; traditionally British! In Jaguar’s home market, Brits drive in RHD cars on the left.
Had you purchased a Maserati instead of a Jag, your statement would be accurate.

Old 01-25-2023, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member

Oh, so it is in a totally different location that on the 2004 S-Type...
Now we need to hear from Magus, where his tank is - if it is in the same location as in the US.

@Karl: RHD, LHD: It really does not matter. I drove every combination of the 4 possible combinations, and it's all good:
Germany is LHD like the US.
So I drove LHD in Germany. I drove LHD in the UK (my German car, while working there for Jaguar), I drive RHD in Australia, and I drove RHD in Germany (while working for Ford there, I could also clock miles on prototypes for evaluation, and there was a RHD Ford Puma, which I drove over 2000km on one weekend (the one, who pledge to drive the most km, got the car, so I drove from Cologne to Frankfurt, on to Munich and Vienna and back. Funny thing: I stopped for a hitchhiker and he obviously wanted to enter from the "driver's side...)
The only thing that matters, is that your remember WHERE to drive on which side!
I had a little tray for sunglasses mounted on the dashboard in my German car. In there was a big bit of paper with a big arrow on it, pointing to the side of the road, where I am supposed to drive - after every Channel-crossing I had to turn that paper around... - that's all.
Back in Germany there were occasionally traffic news about "ghost riders" (Geisterfahrer, those are the ones driving on the wrong side on the Autobahn) - I suppose they did not have arrows mounted in their cars...

Quick Reply: Another Expansion Tank Problem