S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another STR Transmission "Gearbox Fault"

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Another STR Transmission "Gearbox Fault"

Shortly after I had my sleeve connector replaced and the transmission refilled I started getting a P0741 Gearbox Fault code. It only happens when warm, travelling uphill and under load if I let it slip down from 6 to 5 or 5 to 4 it will fault. The transmission operates flawlessly otherwise with no rpm jump, downshift clunk and/or shudder. Smooth as silk.

Could the fluid be low? Could I add a friction modifier? Would a complete fluid change work? Is the torque converter toast? Does anyone rebuild the torque converter specific to the STR?

This is my summer car and so far this season I have replaced the battery, fuel filter, coolant expansion tank, radiator, tires and a 3rd wheel alignment. Charged the aircon, fluid changes and filters.

"She who must be obeyed" ain't gonna be happy if I gotta replace the torque converter and all the rich pageantry that entails.

Some very smart people on here and the proof of that can be found in the bertandgray topic. Kudos to Jason and all the peeps who jumped on that one.

Most impressive...

Old 08-11-2011, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

i would see if adding some fluid to it, fixes it........i will say that when mine was first done, they told me on the test drive that it faulted again, and they added another 1/2 quart and it never came back. It has been fine since that was done a few years ago.

The following users liked this post:
searanch (08-11-2011)
Old 08-11-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by phd12volt
i would see if adding some fluid to it, fixes it........i will say that when mine was first done, they told me on the test drive that it faulted again, and they added another 1/2 quart and it never came back. It has been fine since that was done a few years ago.
Ya know Jason a funny thing when I took it back to the folks that did the sleeve replacement to check the fluid level the tech checked the level with the engine off and the trans hot as I had just driven it there and told me it had puked some fluid when he opened the fill hole.

He didn't follow the original fill instructions when I first had the work done and I complained then only to be told that he always does 'em his way. That's why I took it back after the gearbox faults started popping up.

I do all my own wrenching with the exception of the trans work, alignment and tire installs. Any chance you guys want to fly in and fix this lump. Wine country, desert air, copious quantities of mind altering substances and lots of tanned, nubile young women. Got a fabulous wake boat to cruise the 75mi lake I live on. Got a few other toys too.

Thanks for the reply...

Old 08-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I can't fix your tranny but dammit I'll do something for a trip out there! Need like a "Kato" type guy to use up all your fun stuff for you? I'm your man.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by The Chris X
I can't fix your tranny but dammit I'll do something for a trip out there! Need like a "Kato" type guy to use up all your fun stuff for you? I'm your man.
The problem is Kato moved in and his landlord murdered his ex-wife and some peep hoping to get laid. It's the moving in that concerns me...

Old 08-11-2011, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts
Thumbs down kelowna has a klown

Originally Posted by searanch
.. when I took it back to the folks that did the sleeve replacement to check the fluid level the tech checked the level with the engine off and the trans hot as I had just driven it there and told me it had puked some fluid when he opened the fill hole.

He didn't follow the original fill instructions when I first had the work done and I complained then only to be told that he always does 'em his way. That's why I took it back after the gearbox faults started popping up.
Well ... that's just plain wrong, bullheaded and ignorant.

Of course it's going to puke atf. When the engine is off, the atf drains into the pan.

You need to get it fixed immediately because the low level is not good for your tranny. Hopefully you have a record of all this, and a warranty on the work.

The reason you are seeing slipping going uphill is that the atf is falling away from the pickup - because there is insufficient atf.

... maybe a BMW shop can help you if it is a ZF transmission.

Last edited by plums; 08-11-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Trans. must be cold, engine started then put in gear while checking fluid level.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

+1 on plums!!!! Get it filled to the proper level PRONTO. God only knows how much fluid "puked" out, my bet it was aleast a 1/2 litre if not more.

Follow the procedure by ccc in the FAQ to a "T" and you'll be good!

Old 08-12-2011, 05:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

+1 and do indeed follow the procedure. Trans must NOT be cold (nor too hot). Pray no permanent damage has been done.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:20 PM

I finally gave up searching for someone to check the fluid level. I levitated my STR on to four jack stands and with a little adjustment got the car level.

I followed the procedure and opened it up at 35C with motor running of course and out spilled a 1/2 litre of ATF. Buttoned it back up and let it run to bring the temp up to 40C and opened it up again and it rained some more.

It would appear the first moron overfilled by at least 3/4 litre and didn't clue in when he checked two weeks later.

No more P0741 gearbox fault after a long drive up and down hills looking for little red riding hood. Jaysus I hate incompetence.

Thanks for all the replies and helpful info...

Old 08-16-2011, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member

Does the ZF box not have an overflow port/valve whatever?

The dealer overfilled the Jatco slushbox in my X-Type and it spit fluid out through an overflow valve....

Old 08-16-2011, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by The Chris X
Does the ZF box not have an overflow port/valve whatever?

The dealer overfilled the Jatco slushbox in my X-Type and it spit fluid out through an overflow valve....
nope...

Old 08-17-2011, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member

That sucks. Who'd have thunk it that Jatco would be ahead of ZF on having an overflow port.

Well glad to hear you are in better shape. The offer stands on coming out and using up all your fun stuff. I promise I"ll keep an eye on you if you get a pair of extra small black gloves and your buddy shows up in a white Bronco.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:22 PM

Well after five days of "gear box" fault free driving the P0741 fault is back. At least I found a tech that knows this 6HP26 box. He is going to check the connections on the sleeve replacement as he has seen shorts when someone has twisted the connector out and damaged the wire and/or pin connectors.

He is also going to check the solenoids and then the torque converter. If the torque converter is the problem, which I think it is, he is going to have it rebuilt. New fluid and down the road after being relieved of cash and rights to my first born (never liked that kid).

Jaysus I'm sick of this ____________ fill in the blank...

Old 08-25-2011, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,348 Likes on 1,849 Posts

Very interesting!! I did not know you could rebuild the TQ? If you do have to get it done please post back.
Thanks!

Old 09-09-2011, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Very interesting!! I did not know you could rebuild the TQ? If you do have to get it done please post back.
Thanks!
I got my STR back yesterday. They had the TQ rebuilt by a guy that specializes in race Torque Converters. I found out the lining is not continuous on the clutch plate. It is made up of patches. One of the patches was disintegrating with missing/damaged lining bits allowing excess fluid into the piston under load throwing the Gearbox Fault. They used a continuous race lining on the new clutch plate. The rebuilt TQ cost me $782 (the Canadian Jaguar dealer wanted $2,000 for OEM) and they used 9 litres of Fuchs TITAN ATF 4134 fluid @ $15 a litre.

My total bill was $1,796.64 out the door.

Needless to say it got a good workout yesterday and smooth as silk. Even an old man can feel like a little kid again.

Thanks to all that contributed. I hope this helps somebody else.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:54 PM

This post is for the guy that currently has tranny problems with TC rebuild and fluid.

Read the post above.

My STR works flawlessly with TC rebuild and all new fluid...

P.S. Did ya change out the sleeve connector when ya had the pan off?