S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone familiar with Speedo replacement legalities in the USA?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 05:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Anyone familiar with Speedo replacement legalities in the USA?

It would appear that I'm going to be replacing the instrument cluster in my car and that raises a few issues. I'm located in New Jersey but i imagine that the legalities of how jaguar deals with this is pretty much the same in every state in the USA?

1. I'm probably going to see if I can bet a used cluster but I wonder if a Jag dealer will agree to resetting the mileage for me or will they insist on me buying a new factory part? Anyone with actual experience on this?

2. Does anyone want to impart any personal tips on removing the instrument cluster?

3. Maybe I should just let the dealer do this but again, would they install a used part?

4. Without having the official resetting of the mileage performed by a dealer I would think that this could be a big problem for me later on? Any tips on properly documenting this?

Thanks.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts

One other option to consider, if you do a google search, there are a number of firms that offer 'instrument cluster repair'.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There is a place on the back of your New Jersey title that allows you to state that there is an odometer discrepancy. If you do end up changing the cluster and the mileage is reset or altered, you'll have mark that it is not the actual mileage. Other than indicating so on the title (when you sell), there is really no way to enforce such a thing, (unless someone is selling a 10 year old car with just a few thousand miles on it, it will attract unwanted attention). Just keep all your paperwork and snap a few photos so there isn't any confusion in the future.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member

What I wondered is if there's some systems interlock in the car to prevent you from just ***** nilly installing an instrument cluster and thus perpetrating a fraud? You know, like how Microsoft tacks your motherboard and disks and potentially prevents you putting a new motherboard in your computer without buying a new license from them.

Originally Posted by Jagtastic
There is a place on the back of your New Jersey title that allows you to state that there is an odometer discrepancy. If you do end up changing the cluster and the mileage is reset or altered, you'll have mark that it is not the actual mileage. Other than indicating so on the title (when you sell), there is really no way to enforce such a thing, (unless someone is selling a 10 year old car with just a few thousand miles on it, it will attract unwanted attention). Just keep all your paperwork and snap a few photos so there isn't any confusion in the future.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

The details are a bit hazy, perhaps to make it tougher to be fraudulent, but various parts of the car contain redundant data for security (and other) purposes. I would not expect any car maker to document exactly how security works or exactly what data is involved. Mileage would be likely to be included as would other internal data such as perhaps an ICM serial number.

IDS allows such data to be saved & restored, and reconfiguration to be done.

Generally, locksmith activities such as coding keys and altering security-related parts needs specific and authorised online access to a car maker's site (with payment).

I expect that just swapping the instrument cluster over will trigger anti-theft (and thus immobilisation of the car) unless appropriate reconfiguration and security recoding is done along the lines above.

Here, there is also an annual record of the mileage (on government computers) at inspection (MoT), so it is fairly easy to detect that something may be amiss if buying a car (if you investigate - the mileage figures are available).

Realistically an STR isn't worth much trouble to "clock" (fake the mileage).

Old 06-04-2012, 03:13 AM
Veteran Member

Any Jag techs that can answer this?

Old 06-04-2012, 06:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
The details are a bit hazy, perhaps to make it tougher to be fraudulent, but various parts of the car contain redundant data for security (and other) purposes. I would not expect any car maker to document exactly how security works or exactly what data is involved. Mileage would be likely to be included as would other internal data such as perhaps an ICM serial number.

IDS allows such data to be saved & restored, and reconfiguration to be done.

Generally, locksmith activities such as coding keys and altering security-related parts needs specific and authorised online access to a car maker's site (with payment).

I expect that just swapping the instrument cluster over will trigger anti-theft (and thus immobilisation of the car) unless appropriate reconfiguration and security recoding is done along the lines above.

Here, there is also an annual record of the mileage (on government computers) at inspection (MoT), so it is fairly easy to detect that something may be amiss if buying a car (if you investigate - the mileage figures are available).

Realistically an STR isn't worth much trouble to "clock" (fake the mileage).

The S-type could be different, but I have swapped clusters on my XKR (see my website for the placebo gauge upgrade project I am working on) with like part numbers and VCATS versions with no ill effects (each with different odometer readings displaying, BTW).

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 06-04-2012 at 06:04 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member

Would be fun to try, provided there was a readily available jag tech to fix it up if the car went into anti-theft!

Old 06-04-2012, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
Would be fun to try, provided there was a readily available jag tech to fix it up if the car went into anti-theft!
Yeah, fun ...

I'd be doing this in a condo driveway and this is my newest and the reliable (well that's debatable) transportation vehicle, besides my 11 mpg 7.4L Suburban.

It's not causing any operational issues but it does **** me off.

It might even be an advantage in a traffic ticket situation. I could just point to it if it was pegged at 170 mph whe I got pulled over?

Old 06-04-2012, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member

And get a ticket for 170. Aargh. "His own vehicle showed it, your honour"

Offer Bob (motorcarman), Bill (Brutal) or Steve (xjrguy) money to pick their brains?

Old 06-05-2012, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Bob maybe call your dealer and inquire about installing a used cluster? I know mine has a stance on used parts that they will put them in, but won't guarantee anything about the part. It might still be a good option to save you some $$ for the price of new vs. used. DIY'ing this one scares me a little just because i'm ham fisted and the plastics and such get so unpredictably brittle over the years.

Good luck...I take it you have thrown in the towel on trying to fix the existing one. It would drive me nuts too.

Last edited by The Chris X; 06-05-2012 at 09:11 AM. Reason: spelling fail
The following users liked this post:
Staatsof (06-06-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 09:38 PM
Received 8,076 Likes on 4,871 Posts

I remember having to provide Jaguar with a mileage statement when replacing instpacks.
The mileage was 'burned-in' the module and there was no way we could alter it.
WDS,IDS etc. was not able to configure mileage.

Here is some old info I have from days at the dealer.

bob gauff

Staatsof (06-06-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member

I'll be making some calls today to see if a dealer would be willing to install a used cluster. I also have some leads on a couple of recommended independent shops.

Yeah, the instrument cluster has become a cluster f***. It's unpredictable. It does seem like it's heat related at times. But it doesn't always start out in the morning OK then begin to fail after an hour of driving. Sometimes it starts out bad and stays that way. It probably is a circuit trace or cold solder joint etc. but finding it!

Old 06-06-2012, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Unhappy Well this looked promising ...

2005 JAGUAR S-TYPE SPEEDOMETER CLUSTER 29K MILES | eBay

Apparently it does not work with the R" model.

I wonder what's different?

Old 06-06-2012, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

Possibly just that it won't have the word SUPERCHARGED on it?

Guessing yours does, as mine does.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member

Done by the dealer it's $1,550 out the door with a free 3-4 day rental while Jag not the dealer programs a new unit with my vin# and dealer verified mileage.

They are not legally allowed to install a used one. He claims it would work but I'm not so sure about this being just a swap out and in as he mentioned something about activating it.

Meanwhile, there's possibly this route as well ...

Speedometer Repair and Odometer Repairs at Low Prices! Instrument Cluster Repair!

I believe they can reset an instrument cluster's mileage at least but maybe not the vin#. Then what about activating it?

Old 06-06-2012, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member

Can't they mend yours?

There are places that (probably) can.

"activating" at least I think means "configuring via IDS/SDD" but it may well be that only Jag Corp in England really know what occurs (and they won't be telling).

The various jag techs here have probably done this, possibly not for an STR but it'll be essentially the same for all of your era.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:38 AM
Veteran Member

I'm trying to assemble an accurate picture of the procedure involved but the information I received from my service adviser at a dealership was not quite specific or revealing enough to make me feel confident that I can or can not swap another unit in place. I think it requires dealer interface tools and they aren't interested in doing that.

I wonder if I take my unit out and just plug it back in if that would create a requirement for "activation"?

Until I know that, sending it out for repair could prove troublesome.

The vin# IS required so ...

Old 06-07-2012, 06:02 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Damn sorry i didn't jump on this thread earlier.

Yes it is possible to swap the instrument cluster over for a used one BUT you need to configure it via IDS otherwise the car goes into a security lockdown & won't start. So it's a dealer job, or at least a workshop that has an IDS...

You cannot change the odometer reading though that is a fixed value...you can buy a new cluster from Jag starting at Zero or at a customer-defined mileage.

Removing your cluster and then putting it back in doesn't activate the security lockdown, unless you try to start the car with the cluster missing. Or unless whoever makes the "repair" wipes the coding from the cluster.

A few X-Typers have retrofitted new clusters in order to get the message center, cost nowhere near $1500 to do it!

A friend of mine also swapped out the cluster on his S-Type when the speedo stopped working, he bought a cluster from a wreck & got the dealer to install it & code it in, also for a lot less than $1500!

Staatsof (06-08-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 06:25 AM
Veteran Member

It's easy to see you can remove & reinstall the same cluster so long as you leave the battery off all the time, because the cluster & rest of car simply would not know you'd done so (due to having no power).

Quick Reply: Anyone familiar with Speedo replacement legalities in the USA?