S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone familiar with Speedo replacement legalities in the USA?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
Possibly just that it won't have the word SUPERCHARGED on it?

Guessing yours does, as mine does.
LOL - that was the exact same thought I had!

Old 06-08-2012, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

The key pointy being "Get the dealer to". We have laws here about speedometer tampering. Just putting a different cluster in the car might be an issue in that regard.

Now if I could find and independent shop with the IDS that knew what to do ...

No rush here so I'm still looking.

Clearly there IS a way to reset the mileage because the factory does it so it may be that some repair places are savvy enough to figure this out.

But they'd have to know about the vin number as well and what else???

I don't really want a cluster that shows the wrong mileage. Then the car always has a story and it's harder to trade in.

So is the x-type the same system?

Did they reset the vin# with IDS or does it just run with the wrong data in there?

Originally Posted by Cambo351
Damn sorry i didn't jump on this thread earlier.

Yes it is possible to swap the instrument cluster over for a used one BUT you need to configure it via IDS otherwise the car goes into a security lockdown & won't start. So it's a dealer job, or at least a workshop that has an IDS...

You cannot change the odometer reading though that is a fixed value...you can buy a new cluster from Jag starting at Zero or at a customer-defined mileage.

Removing your cluster and then putting it back in doesn't activate the security lockdown, unless you try to start the car with the cluster missing. Or unless whoever makes the "repair" wipes the coding from the cluster.

A few X-Typers have retrofitted new clusters in order to get the message center, cost nowhere near $1500 to do it!

A friend of mine also swapped out the cluster on his S-Type when the speedo stopped working, he bought a cluster from a wreck & got the dealer to install it & code it in, also for a lot less than $1500!

Old 06-08-2012, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
It's easy to see you can remove & reinstall the same cluster so long as you leave the battery off all the time, because the cluster & rest of car simply would not know you'd done so (due to having no power).
I think you're right but ... they could leave a capacitor charged circuit in there to detect such a thing and then require the IDS. I'm sure there are ways. Perhaps they're not that clever, it did break before 30K miles ... Made in the USA - Visteon. A bit of 236 year old sabotoge ...

Old 06-08-2012, 06:56 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof
So is the x-type the same system?
It's a different cluster, but the electronics appear to be the same.

Did they reset the vin# with IDS or does it just run with the wrong data in there?
No idea. I'm guessing that the VIN was changed, at least on my mates S-Type, when we connected up a cheapo codereader it showed the correct VIN for the car.

The following users liked this post:
Staatsof (06-08-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member

Love the red in the XJR BTW, I'm not sure we ever saw that combo here.

Too bad.

It's a different cluster, but the electronics appear to be the same.

No idea. I'm guessing that the VIN was changed, at least on my mates S-Type, when we connected up a cheapo codereader it showed the correct VIN for the car.

Cambo (06-08-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

I think you're right but ... they could leave a capacitor charged circuit in there to detect such a thing and then require the IDS. I'm sure there are ways. Perhaps they're not that clever, it did break before 30K miles ... Made in the USA - Visteon. A bit of 236 year old sabotoge ...
Even a cap would discharge. JTIS makes it clear you can take the cluster out for various procedures. OK, JTIS doesn't strictly apply to your car so you could check TOPIx but it'll be the same. Won't need IDS for this part (remove & reinstall).

I reckon changing cluster - if it has the VIN - would mean setting the changed VIN into it.

I agree the X-Type one looks VERY like the S-Type, as do many of the electronics. Again, missing little things like that SUPERCHARGED

Almost inevitably has other internal changes (such as wheel size which I guess is smaller on the X), but they might (that's might) be software-settable.

Last edited by JagV8; 06-08-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:57 AM

I didn't mean that you could put the cluster from an X-Type into an S-Type.

What I meant is that the process is the same, and it's been done, on both X-Types and S-Types, but to swap in a new cluster you must have IDS.

I assume that the coding with the IDS means setting the new VIN into the cluster, what else could it be?

I'm not aware of any way to adjust the mileage on the cluster. When my mates S-Type was done, at an official dealer BTW, they just coded the cluster to the car & the mileage was left at the donor cars reading. Effectively that car has done 240'000 miles, but the odometer only says 165'000

Old 06-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member

The dealer can't but Jaguar could. There's ZERO reason for Jaguar to get involved in a used speedo. I suspect there are hackers out there could as well.
I didn't mean that you could put the cluster from an X-Type into an S-Type.

What I meant is that the process is the same, and it's been done, on both X-Types and S-Types, but to swap in a new cluster you must have IDS.

I assume that the coding with the IDS means setting the new VIN into the cluster, what else could it be?

I'm not aware of any way to adjust the mileage on the cluster. When my mates S-Type was done, at an official dealer BTW, they just coded the cluster to the car & the mileage was left at the donor cars reading. Effectively that car has done 240'000 miles, but the odometer only says 165'000

Old 06-08-2012, 02:30 PM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Is it worth sounding out another dealer?

You may get a different answer or confirm if what the first said was corporate Jag policy or just their own.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:07 PM

Why a dealer? Anyone who has an IDS/WDS/SDD kit could do the work. That also includes a Land Rover workshop.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:28 PM

Do you mean an LR dealer?

Old 06-09-2012, 01:12 AM

I'm not following Norri, is that a grammar police joke?

"a" Land Rover or "an" Land Rover? Or is it about the dealer?

Yours sincerely,
Confused from Switzerland

Old 06-09-2012, 03:48 AM
Veteran Member

Why a dealer? Anyone who has an IDS/WDS/SDD kit could do the work. That also includes a Land Rover workshop.
I don't know if there are very many independent mechanics here that have those tools. It's certainly not something Jaguar would encourage as it steals business from their dealers. I have already been looking and asking around.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:47 AM

I'm not following Norri, is that a grammar police joke?

"a" Land Rover or "an" Land Rover? Or is it about the dealer?

Yours sincerely,
Confused from Switzerland
It was about the dealer, if we had grammar police I'd be cooling my heels in the cells.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

They could also foul it up and will know that so may not be interested in the gamble, especially if not starting with a brand new cluster. (Which is the desire.)

Old 09-05-2012, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member

OK I'm back on this again as I'm sick of the symptoms.

I'm going to first try and remove the speedo assembly (battery disconnected) and remove/re-attach the connectors to see if that solves the issue.

If not then I've located a proper used speedo with about the same mileage so that's not the issue and I may try and find someone to reprogram that to work on my car. That may be very difficult. The local Jag club here in the NYC metro area doesn't seem to know of anyone who has the IDS tools.

I could also try and send it out to a couple of places but that means the car sits for a while (????) it's being repaired

Well I just got off the phone with someone who's been using the IDS system on Jags & Rovers for years and he says it's no longer a functional system. About two weeks ago it was replaced by VCM2 and all the IDS systems were rendered inoperable via date expiration. I waited a bit too long it would seem.

Looks like It's repair it, find a dealer to use the new VCM2 system to marry the used unit or bend over. Waaaaay over!

Last edited by Staatsof; 09-05-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:30 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I would for sure find a good speedo repair place with actuall experience fixing jag speedo. With real customer reviews. It may take you a little while, but since the car is drivable no big deal. Then see you can send them your speedo and a good working used one to steal parts from. Its mostlikely that you simply have a bad or even a "cold" solder joint on the board some where.

When I swapped out clusters in my civic to an integra style unit, it was no problem. The old cluster in the civic had problems with the trip odo resetting.

Staatsof (09-15-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

I don't see in this thread that you state your original symptoms that make you want to change your Instruments. I can tell you there is no "normal" way for anyone to change the odometer. I've heard of some outfit out west that can do it, but not legally. [Now on later models, XK, XF and new XJ, SDD does have a procedure to set the mileage, but you have to do it in conjunction with Jaguar Technical] Your S-Type uses a configuration setup called a VID Block. That VID Block [master copy] resides in the ECM. When any module is replaced, that VID Block is used by IDS/SDD to build the configuration data for that module. The IP can be replaced with a used unit and programmed to operate the car, but the odometer will be the number that came from the donor car. SDD nor Jaguar Cars can change it, though like I said, someone out there has hacked a way to do it.

Hope that helps.

The following 2 users liked this post by xjrguy:
Cambo (09-05-2012), Staatsof (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

I've found a guy in Minnesota who says he knows what's wrong (drive motor) because he's seen it before on the Jaguars. He can fix it for $125 so this looks like my best option even if the car will be down for a week as a result. After all, it's less than 10% of the dealer price.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:45 AM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

I've found a guy in Minnesota who says he knows what's wrong (drive motor) because he's seen it before on the Jaguars. He can fix it for $125 so this looks like my best option even if the car will be down for a week as a result. After all, it's less than 10% of the dealer price.
Superb! Sounds like the best idea yet. Hope it works out.

But go easy on us dealers........ 'kay??

Cheers,

Quick Reply: Anyone familiar with Speedo replacement legalities in the USA?