S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone install a license plate flipper?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 09:39 AM
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Anyone install a license plate flipper?

Here in South Florida every intersection has traffic cameras. Available for purchase are these devices where with a push of the button, your license plate frame drops down and out of camera's view. I am interested in installing one. Please save the legal and supposed ethical lectures on this issue, these cameras are just to raise revenue, insurance companies are advocates for them as your citations means higher premiums, and they actually cause danger accroding to studies (please see this article: Insurance Companies and Floridas Traffic Camera Program « Traffic Card ).

I wanted to know if any of our other members have them on their S-Types, and if there were any issues with installation I should be aware of? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:51 PM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Come on guys admit the you have this item on your s-type!

Old 08-01-2012, 03:28 PM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds James Bond-ish. I like it.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:37 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Like Cannonball Run! (Roger Moore) - hilarious!

Old 08-01-2012, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts
Old 08-01-2012, 08:16 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

I did a search for this device and came up empty handed. I found lots of those silly prismatic lenses that don't work worth a damn except for attracting tickets for having an obscured tag number.

How would it work- do you push a button as you run a red light? Much easier to hit the brake pedal instead methinks.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:43 PM
Received 8,134 Likes on 4,908 Posts

Welcome to Altec Products Inc.

I installed one on a forum members XK.
It works just like it is supposed to.

bob gauff

Old 08-01-2012, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  19.3 KB

Lol...cool

Old 08-02-2012, 07:15 AM

Here are a few more....

http://flipaplate.com/

http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/Seiko...ateflipper.php

I am going to install one after I do my front brake pads and rotors. The idea isn't to blow by red lights, it's to save myself from unneeded raise in insurance premiums and hefty fines for being in those occasional situations where I didn't make it perfectly through an intersection like where a motorist in front of me slows for no reason, the light was faster than normal, I miscalculated my time, etc (i.e., "life happens").

Last edited by Under Pressure; 08-02-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't believe these things really exist! I dread to think what would happen if a cop caught you actually using it though...

Old 08-02-2012, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

I remember discussing this for my car a while back. Here's the problem for where I live.

There are a bunch of down/up hill intersections and speed bumps where I have to be very careful so as to not tear up the front lip of my car. I already replaced the entire front once for this reason back in January.

So adding something to the front lip that hangs even lower?

It would be gone inside of a week where I live.

I believe lots of camera systems catch F&R anyway?

I've had the front plate off of mine for 7 months now and no one has said a thing.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:57 AM

I'm still trying to get my head around fumbling for a button trying to beat an automatic camera.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:26 PM

My state only requires rear plates. I would have to figure out if I could go for button in time like mentioned above by Mikiey. My concern is getting pulled over for something and the cop noticing a plate sticking out an inch like these frames do then investigating it (they always check my tint so I'm sure they would check odd frame). I guess will have to use my attorney powers and research local laws.

Last edited by Under Pressure; 08-02-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
I'm still trying to get my head around fumbling for a button trying to beat an automatic camera.
Nothing is that fast except maybe an lcd cover that goes dark or something when the radar is detected. I guess you hide the plate when you're in a area that might have these?

How about just not running red lights?

Old 08-03-2012, 03:55 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Easier and cheaper to not speed or run red lights.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:51 PM
JbB
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I live in Florida and know exactly how these camera's work. This is a terrible idea. It won't be enough to cover the ugly, hole-rittled blank plate spot. The plate won't work with the curved bumper unless the henge is pretty far out.

But it's just not practical at all really. The cameras hit you as soon as you go under the light, as I've witnessed many times. It's too fast for you to react to. In fact, if you could react in time to engage and wait for the plate to retract, you could slow down in time.

This isn't really meant for rear license plates, it's meant for front plates and only to hide them when parked for style...

It's a good idea, but this product won't work for the intended purpose or for installation. JbB

Old 08-03-2012, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Under Pressure
My state only requires rear plates.
So why do you have a front plate that can be read by cameras?

Old 08-03-2012, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Man guys I wish I have a scanner (for Jim I might have to find one).

A couple of weeks ago we (the family) was in the great state of Florida on a "turnpike" in the north Tampa area.

Anyways I was distracted coming off the the so called "turnpike" (we were only on it for 1 exit) the toll was 25 cents, I went through the "speed pass" lane by mistake (really), we just got the fine and a picture of my daily's rear license plate. We were fined an extra $2.50 (total was $2.75, we paid via internet).

Anyways getting back to the OP, I would not have remembered nor have time to hit the "fold down" button before the camera snapped the pic.

I really have to get the paperwork sent to us scanned, proof is in the pudding! Maybe Joyce can have it scanned Monday at work.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:54 PM
JbB
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Mikey, I'm pretty sure Under Pressure is talking about installing this "front" plate system for his rear plates.

And Rick, the system your talking about is a RFID system called Sunpass. I know a lot of states have their own RFID systems. Sunpass rocks, you put a little sticker that contains a rice grain-sized chip in the sticker on your windshield, prepay and you never have to worry about stopping at tolls again. Plus, you only pay 75% of the toll (and years ago, the $25 device included $25 toll credit).

Fooling Sunpass WOULD actually be feasible with the system Under Pressure described. But he's not talking about using it for that. He's talking about all the red light camera's around in the city (more advanced and more error prone than Sunpass' camera system). I've never gotten a ticket for one, but I know the controversy surrounding them. A lot of traffic judges do NOT like them and want them thrown out for two reasons...

Regardless of who's driving the car (friend, parent, mechanic), the ticket is issued to your plate and, thus, the owner. Mechanic racks up three in a day or whatever and it triggers a traffic court appearance? Tough, YOU have to appear in court.

The other reason is false hits. The cameras can detect people who don't come to a full stop for turning on red... well sorta'. That is, the cameras can actually flag people turning right at a red as running the red light, regardless of you being at a full stop or not. Traffic judges know this and typically throw any red light camera tickets brought to court out. In the Tampa Bay area, officials are considering removing them completely. I've witnessed the cameras flash when no one was running a light at all.

So hopefully now that'll shed some light on why Under Pressure is trying to protect himself red light cameras. JbB

Old 08-04-2012, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Thanks JbB, "Sun Pass" that is it.

Charlotte installed the red light cameras 5/6 years ago at a very high cost. Just a couple of years ago they were court ordered to shut them off, they are still not in use for the examples you provided above. What a waste of taxpayers money!

Quick Reply: Anyone install a license plate flipper?