S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone install a license plate flipper?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

My state doesn't require rear plates nor do I have any. I only have a rear plate, and they make them for rear plates too. I don't know how to hotlink pics with my iPhone so here is URL to one....

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isc...20&bih=356#i=2

As I mentioned earlier, the rear flippers seem to have frames that stick out an inch or more to allow clearance room for plate to flip down. My concern would be to get pulled over for anything and having the cop investigate the flipper and possibly getting a citation for that.

And to clarify again, I'm not looking to blow past traffic cameras, I'm looking to protect myself should I be stuck in middle of intersection for reasons outside my control when light changes (we've all been there)

Old 08-04-2012, 05:05 PM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I would think with the limited amount of time to find and press a button and keeping your eye on the intersection would make things abit difficult when going full throttle after a light turns yellow. I think you would be better off going with the license plate cover that is made to prevent clear photos of the LP.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Originally Posted by 03Xtype
I would think with the limited amount of time to find and press a button
My point exactly in post #18!

Old 08-05-2012, 09:56 PM
JbB
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I see now the rear-plate systems offered. Those are completely different than the front ones we saw in the previous link. Those are pretty cool and seem pretty effective.

Do I think you'd have enough time to react in the scenario you explained? Yeah, I do... but I honesty don't think it would come up as often. Most of the issues I've seen people have are the split second ones where you won't have enough time to react. Plus, it's probably just as easy to fight red light camera tickets in court. Get a ticket for one? Elect for a court hearing and most judges will throw that crap out instantly, especially if you bring in some case studies of how the cameras aren't that effective.

Do I think this rear plate flipper could be beneficial in other scenarios? Oh heck yeah! Do I think people should install it? ...Hard to say, but I know there's many scenarios I could find it useful. And no, I'm fairly certain you will NOT get in trouble for having one, even though most cops wouldn't know what that was in looking at it. JbB

Old 08-06-2012, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Don't waste your money - hiding your plate won't matter

I hope I'm wrong about this but I suspect that soon you'll get an annual bill when you renew your car's registration for the previous year's digitally detected traffic violations. Certainly speeding can be detected by your car's ecu and eventually they can provide the app hooks for your local authority's traffic enforcement efforts like these cameras. They're going to know everything you're doing and charge you accordingly. Google will probably lead the way.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:32 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof
I hope I'm wrong about this but I suspect that soon you'll get an annual bill when you renew your car's registration for the previous year's digitally detected traffic violations. Certainly speeding can be detected by your car's ecu and eventually they can provide the app hooks for your local authority's traffic enforcement efforts like these cameras. They're going to know everything you're doing and charge you accordingly. Google will probably lead the way.
I agree, and have already secured international patents as well as exclusive manufacturing and distribution rights for tin foil beanies to ward off the thought police. Here's a prototype:

So please get your orders in soon before it's too late. This item will be added to my ever-growing catalogue of items that are essential for today's ever changing world.

In addition to my top selling bag-o-bones (petrified voodoo chicken bones) which keep bad things from happening, in the coming years I will be expanding my arctic palm tree plantations to be ready for global warming in northern Canada. I don't want to see the polar bears go without shade. Hey! What's that green li

Old 08-06-2012, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Mikey, you could add a leaper on the foil beanies and charge 60 times the price!

Old 08-06-2012, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21,286 Likes on 8,567 Posts

If you're making a right turn on red, you should have your turn signal on. There's a chance the camera will pick it up and the photo will show it...case dismissed.
"You Honor, I stopped at the light before turning and I had my turn signal on, here's the photo proof".

Old 08-06-2012, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

Progressive Insurance is already doing this.

Originally Posted by Mikey
I agree, and have already secured international patents as well as exclusive manufacturing and distribution rights for tin foil beanies to ward off the thought police. Here's a prototype:

So please get your orders in soon before it's too late. This item will be added to my ever-growing catalogue of items that are essential for today's ever changing world.

In addition to my top selling bag-o-bones (petrified voodoo chicken bones) which keep bad things from happening, in the coming years I will be expanding my arctic palm tree plantations to be ready for global warming in northern Canada. I don't want to see the polar bears go without shade. Hey! What's that green li

Old 08-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes...call 1 800 797-9035 or visit show-n-go by Altec Products..the cost is about $149.00 and it's here in the US not Europe.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:42 PM

Progressive Insurance is already doing this.
Making tin foil beanies? I'll sue!

Old 08-06-2012, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member

Making tin foil beanies? I'll sue!
The caps are extra ... and they're aluminum dammit!

Old 08-06-2012, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21,286 Likes on 8,567 Posts

Make sure they have lots of angled surfaces for stealth..radar evading purposes...

Old 08-06-2012, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

Maybe just go all "Transporter" & have a change of plates for when you get home.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:36 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,117 Likes on 786 Posts

In keeping with the James Bond theme: Are there 50 cal machine gun mounts available too? The oil spray option? just the rocket launchers... LOL

Old 08-07-2012, 01:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

The caps are extra ... and they're aluminum dammit!
Oddly, tin foil is apparently not tin. It's aluminium.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:55 AM

That's what they want you to believe.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:05 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
Oddly, tin foil is apparently not tin. It's aluminium.
Tin foil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-08-2012, 11:59 AM

Does this mean that the mind-probing aliens have taken control of Wikipedia too?

Old 08-08-2012, 01:38 PM
Received 4,457 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Seriously about the trackers in your car for insurance, they are doing that in the UK now, I saw an ad on TV last night (we get UK channels here) and one insurer is advertising to "reward good drivers" they put a little black box in your car & track your speed/movements, you get a reduction off your insurance premium if you fit such a device.

Big Brother's 1984 Metropolis here we come!

Good drivers - Telematics black box car insurance - Confused.com

Quick Reply: Anyone install a license plate flipper?