Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio / Navigation System - review

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009 | 11:12 AM
|
Default Audio / Navigation System - review

Hello,

As you might already know, I am in the market for a 2006 Jaguar S-Type R. There are a few things I would like to know about the audio and navigation systems in the vehicle, and how easy or difficult they are to mod.

1) Is the navigation system any good? Comparable to Garmin / TomTom standalone systems? I hear you have to insert a DVD just to use it, is that true? I have considered possibly installing one of those Garmin boxes that display to the car's LCD screen... has anyone tried that? Were the connections pretty straightforward, or did you have to go through a whole bunch of troubleshooting?

2) Ipod Interfacing - have any of you tried to implement an Ipod interfacing system into your audio system / LCD screen navigation system? I would like to plug in my Ipod to the car, and browse the music via the LCD screen in the same way that you can with iDrive / Nissan / etc.

Thanks for your help!

Old 09-15-2009 | 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

www.nav-tv.com they will be the only ones who can tell you what to do. If you contact them ask for Derek or Susanne. Feel free to tell them i sent you there.

RGB2+ (Jaguar S Type / 2006, USA)

Universal Dual Video Interface
List Price: $399.00
Price: $349.00
Quantity:

Notes:
Requires a Factory Navigation System that is a Two Piece system, with a monitor and an external Brain module.
Description

Universal video interfacing module for select vehicles. Provides two video inputs to factory navigation screen.

VehicleDock

As one of the first generic interfaces’ to come out of NAV TV, the NAV TV VEHICLEDOCK is a universal iPod docking station that can be connected to any screen in your car (providing there is a free A/V input). The system is a hideaway unit controlled by a remote control (or via the OEM screen if connected to our programable OPV kit). Users will be familiar with the iPod-like music selection of song, artist, playlist, album or genre.
List Price: $349.99
Price: $299.99
Quantity:

Description

As one of the first generic interfaces’ to come out of NAV TV, the NAV TV VEHICLEDOCK is a universal iPod docking station that can be connected to any screen in your car (providing there is a free A/V input). The system is a hideaway unit controlled by a remote control (or via the OEM screen if connected to our programable OPV kit). Users will be familiar with the iPod-like music selection of song, artist, playlist, album or genre. However this has a unique feature that will allow you to browse the video menu on screen, then play your video selection on your in-car screen without having to fumble with the iPod. Users can select an iPod photo image slideshow or album artwork, as music is being played. You can watch videos, listen to music, podcasts and even audio books. The unit can be switched between NTSC/PAL it also has an S-video output. This is a great unit for automotive integration.

* Charges iPod
* Connects to any A/V Input
* Plays music & movies
* Easy to navigate menus
* 18 button remote control
* Create playlists whilst you listen

Last edited by phd12volt; 09-15-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-15-2009 | 05:51 PM

I think the existing GPS unit is garbage. One time it said I arrived at my destination, but the destination dot on the screen was a few miles away from where it said I was. My current position was accurate, the destination was accurate, but I was miles away when it said I arrived..... in the middle of the freeway. It's destinations are accurate in major cities, but outside of that (even if it shows maps) you're on your own. There's about 40% it'll be wrong.

I've seen ipod interfaces but they're pricey.

Old 09-15-2009 | 07:52 PM

I have the navigation system on my X-Type, and a Garmin that I use in my other cars. What I love about the Garmin is the ability to find stores, parks, gas, you name it while driving. The one on the Jag seemed pretty primative when I first got it. After getting used to it, and buying a new dvd edition of the map, I have to say that it works just fine. I love that it gives turns and other info within the speedometer so it's easy to see. The dvd does not get put in when you want to use it. It gets put in once and forget about it.

Old 09-16-2009 | 09:36 AM

RickMG is absolutely right, insert the DVD in the trunk and forget about it. The Nav interface is rather primitive compared to newer systems, but you need to remember it was state of the art when it first came out 4-5 years ago. Regarding false indicators, I found that inputting the actual address is more effective than using a POI. Yes, you would expect the POI to be more acurate, but the older DVD's are not as accurate as the newer releases.

And IMHO, those Garmin units look quite tacky sitting on the dash. I worked at a parking ramp, and those things were the number one reason cars were broken into.

Concerning the iPod interface, it is worth the money to have it installed. I cringed when I saw the final bill for $600, but then they told me why it cost that much and what was involved with the installation: they needed to remove a bunch of stuff just to install the wiring. And the wiring itself is not some simple plug and play, it is much more involved than that, something about fiber optic...I don't know how much to rely on that part. All I know is that it works wonders - keeps the iPod charged, can utilize the interface if your iPod is an older model (not iPod Touch/iPhone), and sounds fantastic!

So there's my spin on the subject, I hope it helps.

Old 09-16-2009 | 02:47 PM
Veteran Member

Josh:
Can you post any part numbers or other info for the ACM you had installed? Did the Jaguar dealer do it? I am still trying to get this in my 2005 S type. Sounds like a nice set up!!

Old 09-16-2009 | 04:04 PM

I think the Nav is great for a number of reasons: first is the fact that it's in the dash, it's very intuitive, but more importantly it integrates the HVAC, phone, audio, CD-changer, etc., all into the same touchscreen. I love it.

Old 09-16-2009 | 05:16 PM
|

Thanks for all the replies guys, especially the first response. Very informative.

In regards to the whole Garmin thing, while I currently have a standalone device that can be mounted anywhere on the dash or underside of the windshield, what I was talking about was a device that actually displays via the onboard screen in your car.

There is a garmin box that you can install and hide somewhere in the vehicle that will desplay on your in-dash lcd screen everything you would expect a regular garmin to display. Controls are also routed through the buttons originally made for your basic nav system. Touch screen compatibility is also included.

Old 09-16-2009 | 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by tbird6
Josh:
Can you post any part numbers or other info for the ACM you had installed? Did the Jaguar dealer do it? I am still trying to get this in my 2005 S type. Sounds like a nice set up!!
Alright Tbird, here is what I could find regarding part numbers for the ACM:
Per the S-Type Accessories Manual - C2S 44674
Per my invoice from the Jag dealer - C2C 40107
Per the front of the ACM Manual - 6X43-19C104-AA*

I am not entirely sure what the manual references, but I am pretty confident that the part number on my invoice is the module relevant to my model year and/or geographic region.

I saw sites on the internet that offer the module for sale, but I didn't want to deal with the hassle of installing it myself and screwing some electrical component up - worth the $240 in labor, maybe, at least if something goes wrong, I can ask the dealer to fix it.

As for the module itself, I don't know how people can live without it. I only listen to my iPod (can't stand anything on the radio), and I go through the mix cd's I originally made within a week of commuting. The FM Tuners for sale are so crappy in comparison. The only close substitute is the tape deck, but most newer Jags don't have that feature (though the dealer would be more than happy to install one for $2k).

Old 09-17-2009 | 10:49 AM
Veteran member

Jaggy, did the Garmn AVN 53 using the NAVtv unit. Love it.

No clue about the ipod interface. sorry.

You could use the screen for three inputs, via a new switch, as I did...one for your original system, second for the aux navigation (Garmin), and third for your ipod dock...I bet it can be done.

Here's a link to my upgrade.

Phase 1

Phase 2

Old 09-17-2009 | 11:15 AM

For info on the ACM, you should check this page:

http://www.dension.com/jaguar/index.php?agree=0&sc=0

The module and its part numbers have changed several times to keep up with new technology and software. So buyer beware when shopping for a bargain price on the kit!

Old 09-17-2009 | 11:42 AM

What I especially like about the Jaguar unit is that it is just one piece of an integrated suite that are under voice contol in my car....phone, navigation, audio, and climate control. That's something you can't get with the Garmin unit.

Eric