Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio System Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013 | 11:06 AM
|
Veteran Member
Default Audio System Question

How do I know if I have the fiber optic system or not? 2003 S-Type V6.

Old 11-15-2013 | 04:02 PM
Veteran Member

You do. Shown in JTIS / Electrical Guide. Pick the guide for your MY (and MY is based on VIN).

Old 11-15-2013 | 04:54 PM
Veteran Member

Standard equipment!

Old 11-15-2013 | 04:54 PM
|
Veteran Member

Thanks, I was trying to find it online since my JTIS is on my other computer -- thanks for the info. The reason I was asking is because I wanted to get an iPhone/iPod adapter like the one I have on my XJ8 for my X-Type (both 2003), but the vendor told me that my S-Type has the optic system so I have to use the FM modulator that plugs into the antenna jack and "interrupts" the FM signal when the iPhone/iPod is playing. I'm a bit leery, but if that's all I can do, I'm going to try it.

Old 11-16-2013 | 03:53 AM
Veteran Member

Yo can use an ACM. Tons of threads about it.

Old 11-16-2013 | 07:25 AM
|
Veteran Member

Thanks re ACM but waaaaay tooooooo expensive for me, so I just ordered the FM modulator bluetooth adapter with the antenna adapter from discountcarstereo.com.

Will report back after I get it installed.

Old 11-16-2013 | 07:54 PM

Good luck and let us know how it works!

Old 11-16-2013 | 08:20 PM
|
Veteran Member

Can't be worse than listening to the radio!

Old 11-16-2013 | 10:38 PM

I have a wired FM modulator in my 2002 S-Type. The sound quality is pretty good but it buzzes sometimes if I'm driving in a certain area. It was a whole lot cheaper than an ACM though

Old 11-17-2013 | 06:35 AM
|
Veteran Member

Anyone who spends hundreds or thousands of dollars on car audio systems will laugh at this -- I can drive forever without listening to anything but the road noise.

I prefer to have something playing in the background, but I'm not one of those people who needs perfect sound. When I'm on a long trip (I drive from FL to WI several times per year with only my dog as a companion), I like to listen to music, but I've been known to drive the entire way without listening to anything. When I commute to work and back, which is about 22 miles with 1/2 of it on the freeway, I like to listen to music.

I can put up with the radio once in a while -- I usually hate the radio - can't stand drive-time DJs, hate commercials, won't listen to talk-radio, and can't stand the "45 mins of commercial free music" when they remind you that it's commercial free between every song (isn't that a commercial?), so that leaves NPR which, in my opinion, is the best radio station EVER - that's not a political statement, it's simply recognition of the fact that they know how to use the medium to its fullest extent.

Also, I don't need anyone dictating to me what music I listen to -- I can put all my own music on my iPhone and listen to what I want to listen to, and it's truly commercial free! If I need to listen to something other than music, podcasts of my favorite NPR programs (Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me is on the top of my list) fill that need.

What I'm saying is this -- so long as it's not buzzing (interference), I can put up with it. I've had the non-wired FM modulators in the past and hated them because the interference would come and go even while driving around town, and when I would be on the highway it would just get worse. I swore I'd never get another one -- but, the wired ones just might be good enough for me! We'll see.

Old 11-17-2013 | 08:59 AM
Veteran Member

Probably the FM one will do nicely.

Old 11-17-2013 | 03:21 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
Probably the FM one will do nicely.
That's what I'm thinking!

Old 11-20-2013 | 05:14 PM
|
Veteran Member

The iSimple TranzIt BLU came in the mail today -- now I have to find out how to remove the radio and install this thing. I haven't even searched for radio removal yet, but if anyone has the link.....thanks!

I guess the trick is to find the right wire to splice into for power. Seems like I saw that info posted on this forum somewhere..ok, off to search!

EDIT: I found this PDF http://www.pioneer.eu/files/eur/car_....301147-01.pdf for radio removal -- looks pretty straightforward. Next I need to figure out which red wire to splice into.

Last edited by OldMike; 11-20-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-21-2013 | 05:53 AM
|
Veteran Member

As I mentioned above, the only thing I need now is to identify the correct wire to splice into for power. I am more leery about doing this on my Jag than on any car I've ever owned! I think of her as being a bit touchy and if I splice into the wrong wire, there could be hell to pay!

Old 11-21-2013 | 02:01 PM

If you splicing into the existing harness to get power, I think that's pin 1 on the radio connector. The wiring diagrams for my 2006 say that should be a brown/green wire in the vehicle harness - not sure about 2003. Almost easier to buy an adapter and add a new radio while you are at it! Like this:

Metra Turbo Wire 20Pin Wire Harness for Select Jaguar and Land Rover Vehicles 70-9500 - Best Buy

Old 11-21-2013 | 06:48 PM
|
Veteran Member

I'm not adding a new radio

Anybody know where I can splice into? I need power when the radio is turned on, and ground. That's it!

Old 11-21-2013 | 07:33 PM

I had the wrong pin earlier, sorry. This is where the radio gets switched ignition power and ties to ground.

Or.... tap into the cig lighter.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
radio2.pdf (124.1 KB, 119 views)

Last edited by msljag; 11-21-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-22-2013 | 05:24 PM
|
Veteran Member

Thanks, I'll have to take a close look at that, I'm not very good at reading those diagrams!

Wish someone had a photo of the harness and could tell me which wire to tap into, but I'll do my best! Really would like to get this installed tomorrow so I can listen to music on my trip to CT next week.

Old 11-23-2013 | 10:50 AM
|
Veteran Member

I got it installed, works as expected.

I took out the center console lining, the shifter/radio surround, the four bolts that hold the radio/AC in, pulled it out, unplugged the antenna, put the TranzIt unit under the console lining, ran the antenna cables inside the console and plugged into antenna lead and antenna connection on the back of the radio, reinstalled the radio/surround, used box connectors and connected the power and gnd wires from the unit to the cigar lighter wires under the console lining, reinstalled the lining and cupholder and turned on the car -- activated bluetooth on my iPhone 4S, found the unit, connected, and now it's working.

I haven't run it through all of its paces yet, but it does seem to work. Now I have to watch college football for a while!

EDIT : "My team" doesn't play until 3:30 so I spent some time driving around listening to music. The sound quality is good (I can't say great, but it's not bad) but the functionality is going to get some getting used to. First thing I tested was placing a phone call -- the radio goes to static because I guess the unit shuts off when the music feed stops, so you have to turn the radio volume down to place a call. The second thing I noticed is that, unlike a rental car that I had a couple weeks ago, the bluetooth reconnects whenever I get back in the car and turn on the ignition (and the radio), but my iPhone doesn't automatically start playing -- not a big deal, all I have to do is swipe up on the bottom of the screen and press play, but it would be nice to have it automatically start playing.l

The next thing I have to test is turn-by-turn map directions -- wonder if it plays through the car speakers like it does in my XJ8 with the iPhone adapter (wired). I hope so, I like that feature.

All in all, for the money I paid, it's a fantastic device and very easy to install. I highly recommend putting the unit under the console and wiring it to the cigar lighter. One thing I haven't checked is whether I'll blow a fuse if I charge the iPhone with the same cigar lighter...sure hope not!

Last edited by OldMike; 11-23-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-23-2013 | 07:02 PM

Good to hear. The cigar power fuse is 20A, so you shouldn't have any problems there.

Quick Reply: Audio System Question