Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Box - Torque Convertor Issue Or Gearbox Service Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 12:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Auto Box - Torque Convertor Issue Or Gearbox Service Needed

Hi all.

I have had my 2.7d Auto for about 4 weeks now, it seemed to drive great on the test drive and i was really looking out for vibration and there was none at the time that was noticeable.

I started noticing that when i went up a steep hill about 30mph around 2000 rpm, i would get vibration from the steering wheel and the pedals and as i speed up it went away, more noticeable when warm. I now notice a slight judder about 30-40 mph as i gently accelerate, its usually warmed up and under load.

Im not sure if this is related to the gearbox or if its a character of the car, when i hit the accelerator pedal, there is hesitation and i i have to push it in a wee bit before the car pulls away, a slight jerk too when cold.

Its not changing gear as smooth as it should and is revving higher before changing up. Gears all work fine and no slipping. When i engage the shifter between R and N and D it engages right away without delay.

I looked at a service invoice from the previous owner, in march this year, it has a fault code P07A7 which a google search reveals not a lot but this ' Transmission Friction Element "C" Stuck On' . I think its a generic code.

My car has 77,000 miles and not had a gearbox service. I have booked it into an independent jaguar garage to have this done on tuesday. After reading a lot of posts from people who's judder was cured by the gearbox service, i cant help but worry mine might be a torque converter problem. As reading TC posts has got me thinking it could be this too.

So im looking for some reassurance that doing the gearbox service is likely to cure my problems, its costing £300 and im not rich enough to go the 'try it and see' route.

Im pretty certain its not wheels/ suspension/ steering related. I have had too many vibration problems to mention so i have lots of experience

Rab

Old 05-18-2013, 12:42 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

What model year is your car? Early cars had a Ford transmission, later ones had a ZF.

If it's a ZF box, your symptoms do not sound like a TC issue.

Have you read up on 'the lurch'?

Old 05-18-2013, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
What model year is your car? Early cars had a Ford transmission, later ones had a ZF.

If it's a ZF box, your symptoms do not sound like a TC issue.

Have you read up on 'the lurch'?

Its a 2005 model, sorry i thought it being a diesel would give an idea of the newer model s type, it has the zf gearbox and is the lurch you mention a problem with these or the ford boxes ?

Old 05-18-2013, 03:37 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

There's no diesel S-types in N. America (AFAIK) so the subtleties of when and which had what are not commonly known here.

Your car has the ZF gearbox which suffers from 'the lurch', sometimes incurably. This affects the car only when coming to a stop or pulling away.

The ZF box was marketed as being 'sealed for life', which appears to actually mean ~100K miles. It is recommended to change the fluid at or before that interval so you will do no harm in doing it now.

Perhaps others will comment on the vibration issue.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,892 Posts

Find some one who knows the S Type.

That code is wrong. No P07A7.
See if you can get a proper code. I would do the correct ZF service anyway as you need it. Change the pan/filter and sleeve and pan bolts using the proper fluid. You can't tell the fluid level and at this late date and with the miles on your car you need a service anyway.

And as was posted above this list does not have much experience with the Diesel so I would post to the UK forum as they fight a lot of Diesel problems there.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

There actually might be such a code for the diesel. It has a main computer (PCM) that is not used on any other S-Type (Siemens, not Denso etc).

A failure unique to the 2.7D is where the autobox cooler leaks coolant into the box. You need someone who understands the car as if it's that then the box may die very soon. Try a good indy.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mikey
There's no diesel S-types in N. America (AFAIK) so the subtleties of when and which had what are not commonly known here.

Your car has the ZF gearbox which suffers from 'the lurch', sometimes incurably. This affects the car only when coming to a stop or pulling away.

The ZF box was marketed as being 'sealed for life', which appears to actually mean ~100K miles. It is recommended to change the fluid at or before that interval so you will do no harm in doing it now.

Perhaps others will comment on the vibration issue.
Ah i see. Sorry about that. I had a wee read on the lurch and my gearbox does not have this problem. The recommended atf change is 70k for the zf gearbox. As far as i know its the same box in all petrol and diesel cars s-types.

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Find some one who knows the S Type.

That code is wrong. No P07A7.
See if you can get a proper code. I would do the correct ZF service anyway as you need it. Change the pan/filter and sleeve and pan bolts using the proper fluid. You can't tell the fluid level and at this late date and with the miles on your car you need a service anyway.

And as was posted above this list does not have much experience with the Diesel so I would post to the UK forum as they fight a lot of Diesel problems there.
The code is printed on an invoice, it was a little local garage the previous owner used so using some generic code reader. I fully intend to get the service. But if was the TC then the money spent on the service would be a waste as all the oil would need to be replaced again. Thats why i was hoping someone might have some good insight into the symptoms of each.

The issue is not diesel related, i thought i would get a wider audience on this forum and maybe increase my chances of getting the right info.

Originally Posted by JagV8
There actually might be such a code for the diesel. It has a main computer (PCM) that is not used on any other S-Type (Siemens, not Denso etc).

A failure unique to the 2.7D is where the autobox cooler leaks coolant into the box. You need someone who understands the car as if it's that then the box may die very soon. Try a good indy.
The place i have in booked in for its gearbox service is a jaguar indy, it is booked in for the gearbox service which includes the sump/filter change and new bolts and the connector which often leaks. I have not asked the guy to diagnose the problems ie vibration going up steep hills.

its in his interests to do a gearbox service first and if that does not cure it then he will hope to get more work out it. I just assume thats how most garages operate.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:47 AM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

If the gearbox service doesn't cure the problem I would be checking the rubber couplings at each end of the propshaft. If there is any wear, cracks or deterioration in these components you will get progressive vibration.

Dave

Old 05-20-2013, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by thebiglad
If the gearbox service doesn't cure the problem I would be checking the rubber couplings at each end of the propshaft. If there is any wear, cracks or deterioration in these components you will get progressive vibration.

Dave
Ok cheers matey, ill ask the mechanic to have a look at the propshaft couplings when its up in the air.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:25 PM

I did not get the gearbox service done today.

I had the 'DSC NOT AVAILABLE' warning on my display. I had cleaned all the abs sensors and rear abs rings but this made no difference.

Doug (mechanic at Jag indy) test drove my car with me in it, at the end of testing he said he cant be certain the gearbox service will cure the vibration. He said it would be best to sort the DSC fault first just in case it is interfering with something. So he pulled the codes from whatever module controls the ABS and DSC. The fault was the brake position sensor. So he has ordered one and if fitting it tomorrow. He does not think this will cure my vibration but said its wise to fix that first and said the gearbox will still need serviced.

So its great the DSC will be fixed but im still at the dilemma of whether to spend the cash on the gearbox service or not. If it does not cure the vibration i will be majorly peeved off.

So how does one know if its a torque converter or just needing a gearbox service. The 64,000 dollar question