S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto theft of a S-Type....possible?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Auto theft of a S-Type....possible?

It's been reported here that on Sunday night, "a green 2005 Jaguar S-Type" was stolen. For some reason I had the impression that this was nigh unto impossible without the key. True or false.

Eric

Old 09-08-2009, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

tow truck.............end of story

Old 09-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Anyone else have low-jack on their cars besides me?

Old 09-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,359 Likes on 2,850 Posts

Keep in mind that ANY security system can eventually be defeated by those who have the knowledge to do so....

What has always worked for us (for the past 25 years, anyway) is to make certain that the vehicles are kept in our locked garage overnight, and always have at least one big, mean dog who absolutely hates strangers and sleeps in the garage overnight as well. Bonus points if the dog naturally foams at the mouth and spews saliva like a running faucet whenever he gets agitated by strangers coming onto the property....

Years ago I heard voices outside our garage one night about 2:00 am, but they woke up Roscoe inside the garage and he scared the living hell out of those guys even though he couldn't get to them and they never saw him. The last thing I saw when I rushed downstairs and out the front door was two skinny guys running down the street in the moonlight trying to get away from our property as fast as they could. When you hear what is obviously a huge dog throwing himself against the inside of the metal garage doors trying to break through and get at you, I think the vast majority of people are gonna scream like 3-year-old girls and run like Usain Bolt....

We lost Roscoe to congestive heart failure in October 2006 and not a day goes by that I don't miss him still. By far the best watchdog we ever had....

Last edited by Jon89; 09-08-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

Toller, it is possible. Probably easier than you think. Like was mentioned, you pull up to an S-Type, lift the rear wheels off the ground and the S-Type will follow you just about anywhere.

The second possible way is when you drop your car off for valet service, you forget to engage the protection mode (aka, valet mode). You get a guy that has a spare Jaguar key and some blanks, he programs the key to the car, has the blank cut to fit the ignition, and then looks in the glove box for the owners address. At this point, the thief picks his time to walk up to the car, hit the unlock button and drive away with the car.

The third way, while not widely used is there are programmable receivers that you can buy that all you do is park your car next to the car you desire to steal. You engage the programmable receiver to start recording as the person walks up to their car. As they hit the unlock button, the receiver records the digital signal from the keyfob. Then a second recording is done as the car is started. This gets the key code for the starting process. From there, you transfer the two files over to a transmitter and you play the one signal to unlock the door and then as you roll the ignition over with force, you play the second program. Tada, done.

I'm sure, you can get under the dash and with a few key wiring changes, you can bypass the computer and make things work. if there is a will, there is a way. The question is how bad do the people want the car. one of the old fads is to simply catch the person as they are approaching the car and take the keys from the person using force.

I don't mean to sound negative on this subject, but honestly, the key systems are there to keep the semi-honest people honest and make it more difficult than they want to try to attempt.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:45 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

The biggest theft deterrent for our cars is the fact that there are not very many out there. Yes, there are punks who would steal the car for the thrill, but those are few and far between. The majority of auto thefts are for parts chops or illegal export. On both fronts Jaguars are not very profitable. Very low demand for parts (hard to believe reading all the posts on here ) and because parts are rare not very appealing on the export scene either. That is why my insurance went down despite my Jag was one year newer and almost 5 grand more than the Honda Accord I traded in. I asked my agent, thinking there was a mistake and I would get a hit later. He said the reduction was due to the MUCH lower theft rate vs any increase in risk due to higher price to repair and increased power. Hmmmm..

Old 09-09-2009, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

the key system in the s-type is dramatically different then the x-type. i can facilitate the x-type the same as the any ford product...simply accessing the RX and TX wires to copy the code upon start. But the s-type is a much different animal. Short of typing a 16 page dissertation on how it would be possible, lets just say, they didn't jimy the door, reach under the dash, and hot wire it. That i can promise you.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks phd12volt and the others. I suspected that it was not as easy as crossing a couple of wires which leads me to the belief that if was probably not joy-riders. Were I to bet, the tow truck was the method of choice or... it really wasn't stolen.

Eric

Old 09-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

It's not realistic to bypass "the computer" (there are many, but ignore that) because it's what decides whether to pump fuel, how much, when to fire injectors (if at all), when to spark (ditto) etc. No amount of shorting of wires etc will fool it. In short: not the way to steal an S-Type

Old 09-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

In Scotland the most common way for a car to be stolen is a break in to a house or changing room or the likes and theft of the key. Tow-a-ways are very rare and car jacking virtually unheard of.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Theres a video of one on youtube, green, looks like a 05 ( i dirve a x) and looks like it got the v8 setup, just fromt he way it was outrunning the crown vics lol, look it up

Old 09-11-2009, 12:20 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Any chance of a link?

Old 09-11-2009, 06:43 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxBZXRS0i8w

He He .... Drive it like you stole it!

Bet the check engine light came on!

Enjoy

Old 09-11-2009, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Jon, meet our Annie..... our version of ADT, of course protecting whats in the garage and property!

I couldn't pass that Kodak moment or thread.

Attached Thumbnails Auto theft of a S-Type....possible?-annie-002.jpg  
Old 09-11-2009, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,359 Likes on 2,850 Posts

Rick,

Always loved Dobermans. Never had one, but some of our friends had several. Loyal, affectionate, great family dogs, and fiercely protective of the house and property. All one could ask for in a dog....

Roscoe was a huge Gordon Setter (110 pounds) who was colored like a Doberman and always thought he was one. We've had Gordon Setters for more than 25 years and he was by far the biggest and most muscular one I've ever seen. Even our neighbors who knew the dog well were scared of him - several of them called him "The Freak". So well-built and beautiful, but we couldn't show him because he would go after the other dogs in the ring. His sister Nellie is still with us at age 13-plus, but she's only half his size and not nearly as imposing. We also have a huge 100-pound track-rescued male Greyhound who barks at strangers but in truth loves everyone and just wants to be scratched and petted. My wife also has a 30-pound male English Cocker Spaniel who is currently on the dog show circuit. He'll bark at strangers, but he'll also run like a jackrabbit if one approaches him....

Last edited by Jon89; 09-11-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Yea, too bad the guy dosen't know hwo to drive and escape cops ( like jesse james) lol, i wouldn't mind a news headline like ( Man in robbey, gets away in class) or ( Stolen jag leads man to freedom, manhunting on going) lol