Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic Light Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012 | 05:57 AM
|
Default Automatic Light Issue

Hey Guys,
Been a while since I've been on here, but that's a good thing.....everythings has been good with the kitty. I do however have this nagging little problem where when my head light switch is turned to the "auto" selection, they always remain "on". They will not turn off when it gets lighter outside. It's a minor aggrevation but aggrivating nonetheless. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Old 11-16-2012 | 07:20 AM

I've had this problem before. I think I remember What it was inside the car in the front of the dash the black dome looking thing that flash red when your alarm is on I believe that's the device that could be defective

Old 11-16-2012 | 09:33 AM
Veteran Member

It is that device. To test, put lights on auto and cover it up: lights should come on. Shine bright light (or daylight) and lights should go off.

If you have the touchscreen sat nav and have different settings (under Menu) then the maps should change, too.

If one of the above, could be the stalk that's faulty. If neither happens then it's the sensor (or its wiring).

Old 11-25-2012 | 06:22 PM
|

Well I can't cover the lights because the lights are on all the time, I would have to actually shine light on the sensor constantly, which Ihave not done yet. I just returned from my T-giving pilgrimage to the Family so maybe I'll give that a try next.
I have however noticed since this problem that my dashboard cowling, is what I call it, is cracked in half....WTF! It's the panel that the sensor is mounted on between the padded dash and the windscreen. There is a stepped seperation so I wonder if there is a wire loose. Keep you all posted.

Old 07-26-2013 | 03:26 PM

I have the exact same issue with my '03 as well as the split dash cowling. Have you fixed it? Don R

Old 07-26-2013 | 05:16 PM
|

Originally Posted by Don R
I have the exact same issue with my '03 as well as the split dash cowling. Have you fixed it? Don R
No, to both issues. Dash still cracked and the lights are still on. May get to it this weekend since I finally don't haver a lot going on. I've really been down on working on cars as of late. I'll tear my moptorcycle apart no problem but I have to really get psyched up to work on the car.

Old 07-26-2013 | 05:32 PM
Veteran Member

I just replaced my defroster panel because of the crack in the center. It seems related to age. I had removed it before to fix a rattle and it was fine but I got some rattles back and saw the crack.

Hold onto your seat because that panel is over $400 from Jaguar!! I got it for $3** something from our forum sponsor. Too expensive but I am picky and keep my cars up until I sell them. Do NOT even try to get a used one. That part sits in the sun and is black so it gets cooked by years of heat and UV.

I also have a spare light sensor since I purchased one but later found out if you buy the defroster panel the sensor and wire harness come pre-installed. The sensor is about $40 by itself. I have a random lights on and off problem that I thought might be caused by that center mounted sensor.

Old 07-26-2013 | 05:49 PM
|

Originally Posted by tbird6
I just replaced my defroster panel because of the crack in the center. It seems related to age. I had removed it before to fix a rattle and it was fine but I got some rattles back and saw the crack.

Hold onto your seat because that panel is over $400 from Jaguar!! I got it for $3** something from our forum sponsor. Too expensive but I am picky and keep my cars up until I sell them. Do NOT even try to get a used one. That part sits in the sun and is black so it gets cooked by years of heat and UV.

I also have a spare light sensor since I purchased one but later found out if you buy the defroster panel the sensor and wire harness come pre-installed. The sensor is about $40 by itself. I have a random lights on and off problem that I thought might be caused by that center mounted sensor.
So do you think the sensor is the issue? How hard was the panel to replace? Would you part with the extra sensor?

Old 07-27-2013 | 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
From: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)

I know this is a dumb question, but you do know you can override the auto-lights feature by just activating the lights manually, right?

I find the auto-lights feature waits too long to activate lights anyway, so I'm always using the manual switch.

Old 07-27-2013 | 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

Here is a good thread on the defroster panel repair if you want to go that way.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-repair-70534/

I was going to try that until I removed the panel and found more damage. It was broken in the middle like most of them and I had my rattles come back. One thing to note is that Ford has now obsoleted the clip with the retainer but not the one without the retaining strap.

This was because the metal retaining clips for the panel had broken the plastic tabs off. So even with the panel repaired you could not snap it down tight into the dash. Plus the PATS/Sunlight sensor is held on with two screws. Both of them had split the plastic pillar they screw into.

Yes I will gladly sell you my spare sensor. It's part #XR836394. Cost $41.06. Jaguar calls it "Sensor-Solar". But it is also the PATS red light indicator. It could be your problem and it's the cheapest and easiest part to change. So I would start with that. Send me a PM if interested. I now have 3 total!! 2 new and one used that is good because replacing the old one did not fix my random lights on and off problem.

The defroster panel is #XR850941LEG. Jaguar calls it "Grille-Demiste". Be aware they showed different colors which was news to me as all the ones I have seen are black! List price is $400.20!!! Our forum sponsor got it down to $340 and remember it does come with that $40 sensor and a small wire harness.

Yes you can use the manual over ride. It's interesting that the sensor is not adjustable because when I was in the SHO world the sunlight sensor on that car was adjustable and I did just what you want. Made the lights come on sooner and stay on later. It was a small potentiometer that required a very small flat head screw driver to adjust.

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (07-28-2013)
Old 07-31-2013 | 05:24 PM
|

Thanks for the thread for taking it off, I'll take a look at that and see.

Old 08-01-2013 | 06:51 PM

I was getting the rattle on my defroster panel. It is not completely cracked - but it is partially cracked... I took 1/2" foam insulation material and slid it under the windshield side of the defroster panel - no more rattles...