S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auxillary Water Pump/Aircon v8 4.2

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 08:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Auxillary Water Pump/Aircon v8 4.2

I will start with "i am not a Mechanic", so bear with me.
I am in Australia and have a 2004 s-type V8 4.2.
Fuse 32 in engine compartment is blowing, then no cold air, just HOT air. i had an Auto electrician diagnose as faulty air con compressor , when testing current at fuse 32, when air con cuts in and reading jumps to about 20 amps and smoke is seen from AC Compressor. I proceeded to remove the AC Compressor (that was fun on a V8) and in the process i found the Auxillary electric water pump is buggered, electrical connection melted, been shorting due to coolant leak i suspect. Makes me wonder is AC Compressor really buggered ?
My questions are.
1. Is the auxillary pump required for engine cooling or can i just leave wire disconnected, if required, can i use one of these EBP23 (Davies Craig Electric Water Pumps (EWP) Information)
2. How can i find out the Make/Model/Part Number of my existing AC Compressor, no numbers except 2004 on mine.
3. Is it worth trying to service them or just get a new one.
4. Any thing else i should do while it's apart, 175,000Klm on clock.
Any feedback appreciated.
Scott.

Old 01-08-2017, 12:03 AM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by scottics
I will start with "i am not a Mechanic", so bear with me.
I am in Australia and have a 2004 s-type V8 4.2.
Fuse 32 in engine compartment is blowing, then no cold air, just HOT air. i had an Auto electrician diagnose as faulty air con compressor , when testing current at fuse 32, when air con cuts in and reading jumps to about 20 amps and smoke is seen from AC Compressor. I proceeded to remove the AC Compressor (that was fun on a V8) and in the process i found the Auxillary electric water pump is buggered, electrical connection melted, been shorting due to coolant leak i suspect. Makes me wonder is AC Compressor really buggered ?
My questions are.
1. Is the auxillary pump required for engine cooling or can i just leave wire disconnected, if required, can i use one of these EBP23 (Davies Craig Electric Water Pumps (EWP) Information)
2. How can i find out the Make/Model/Part Number of my existing AC Compressor, no numbers except 2004 on mine.
3. Is it worth trying to service them or just get a new one.
4. Any thing else i should do while it's apart, 175,000Klm on clock.
Any feedback appreciated.
Scott.
1. Aux pump is used for certain scenarios mainly to supply additional coolant flow to the heater circuit when heat is requested. Aux pump should be off when air con is commanded. Sometimes, aux pump is activated when engine is running hot so in essence you don't need it for air con but should get it fixed.

1a - I would source a genuine aux pump and harness connection. Look up compressor by model year/engine. Again, go with a known trusted brand, OEM, 4 seasons, etc. I'm sure your compressor is toast especially if it was smoking.

2. There should be a label on the compressor, cross match and refer to point 1a.

3. Get new, both. I think they're past serviceable especially with a electric overload. PS - Get to the source of electrical overload issue.

4. While your in there. Hoses, thermostat and housing, water pump...

Just my $0.02

The following users liked this post:
Mclovin22 (10-02-2023)
Old 01-08-2017, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,030 Likes on 1,434 Posts

Hi Scott,

Here's a page from a Jaguar training manual explaining the purpose of the V8 aux coolant pump:

It helps improve the heater performance at low engine RPM. You could probably get by without that in a hot climate. However, the pump also is part of the overheat protection after the engine is turned off. If the coolant temp is above a certain point at shutdown, the radiator cooling fan will continue to run. Any time the fan runs after shutdown, the aux coolant pump is also commanded on. So at least for that protection feature, I'd replace the pump and connector.

For your AC compressor, was the system putting out plenty of cold air before the fuse blew? If so, the mechanical portion of the compressor was probably fine. The electrical fault was limited to the on/off clutch, which can be replaced separately. However, this usually requires some special tooling, so that drives up the expense. Curiously, I've found (on other vehicles) it can be less expensive to purchase an entire compressor/clutch combo versus just getting the clutch only, not even considering the cost of the special tooling. So look at both options when shopping.

I'm assuming (Danger! Danger!) you will have the AC serviced by a shop after taking care of the compressor clutch? Since the system has been open to the atmosphere with the lines disconnected, make sure you replace the receiver/dryer because it has a moisture filter in there.

Mclovin22 (10-02-2023)
Old 01-10-2017, 03:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Abanono and kr98664 for advice, appreciated. I will get a new aftermarket compressor about $600Au. I think i will replace the Aux pump with one of these EBP23 and adapt it.
http://daviescraig.com.au/media/1110...e26Feb2016.jpg
for $110Au, as Jag one is $538. anyone know what the reciever/dryer looks like. my Build Date 03/2004 VIN SAJAC0R25HN20042.
Thanks.

Old 10-01-2023, 07:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, sorry to bother you, i have an s type 2.7 diesel, i have only just joined the forum, cant find how to post, i am trying to locate tghe aux coolant pump, but cannot fins this info anywhere on the net, i have tried for hours with no luck, just wondered if perhaps you know or could tell me how to post a thread so i may get an answer.
thanks

Old 10-02-2023, 04:35 AM
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjag61
Hi, sorry to bother you, i have an s type 2.7 diesel, i have only just joined the forum, cant find how to post, i am trying to locate tghe aux coolant pump, but cannot fins this info anywhere on the net, i have tried for hours with no luck, just wondered if perhaps you know or could tell me how to post a thread so i may get an answer.
thanks
Fairly certain that the auxiliary coolant pump is only on the V8’s if I’m not mistaken. Those being the 4.2L N/A and the S/C variants in the R models.

Old 10-02-2023, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 622 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjag61
thanks
Welcome.

A few suggestions:

1. It is never a good idea to attach a question regarding a completely different variant to someone else's existing thread.
2. This forum tends to be rather N. America-centric and the deeshul powered S-type was never sold here; so, members with significant experience with this variant will be slim, at best.
3. While I am loathe to send you off to another forum, the so-called "British" Jaguar forum might prove a bit more helpful in this instance: (2) S-Type (X200, X202, X204, X206) 1999 - 2008 | Jaguar Forum

Mclovin22 (10-02-2023)
Old 10-02-2023, 03:16 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

On my car, I took out the relay or fuse for the unnecessary auxiliary coolant pump which does not leak, because the water pump delivers plenty of pressure. I don't mind if I have to wait another 30 seconds for the heater to warm up. One less thing to worry about.

Old 10-02-2023, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi, thanks for your reply, my problem is that only cold air blows through the vents, it does not heat up, on my car, UK spec, the fuse for the pump is in the engine bay, number 32, 10amp fuse

Old 10-02-2023, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by kr98664
Hi Scott,

Here's a page from a Jaguar training manual explaining the purpose of the V8 aux coolant pump:

It helps improve the heater performance at low engine RPM. You could probably get by without that in a hot climate. However, the pump also is part of the overheat protection after the engine is turned off. If the coolant temp is above a certain point at shutdown, the radiator cooling fan will continue to run. Any time the fan runs after shutdown, the aux coolant pump is also commanded on. So at least for that protection feature, I'd replace the pump and connector.

For your AC compressor, was the system putting out plenty of cold air before the fuse blew? If so, the mechanical portion of the compressor was probably fine. The electrical fault was limited to the on/off clutch, which can be replaced separately. However, this usually requires some special tooling, so that drives up the expense. Curiously, I've found (on other vehicles) it can be less expensive to purchase an entire compressor/clutch combo versus just getting the clutch only, not even considering the cost of the special tooling. So look at both options when shopping.

I'm assuming (Danger! Danger!) you will have the AC serviced by a shop after taking care of the compressor clutch? Since the system has been open to the atmosphere with the lines disconnected, make sure you replace the receiver/dryer because it has a moisture filter in there.

The overheat protection at the very least is why I plan on keeping it for my STR. Has been quite effective so I plan on keeping it. Might even see if there’s an upgraded unit I can use that flows better than the original stock unit.

S-Type Owner (10-02-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 03:11 AM
jya
Received 163 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Mclovin22
The overheat protection at the very least is why I plan on keeping it for my STR. Has been quite effective so I plan on keeping it. Might even see if there’s an upgraded unit I can use that flows better than the original stock unit.
I'd agree with you on the overheat protection 100%! Didn't even know the car had this. I can say that even on 100 degree days I've never once heard the fan go on after ignition off. Sometimes on these hot days I've left the ignition on (fan running) for a few minutes to cool the engine bay down.
OP lives in a hot region so as much as I love the very high quality Davies Craig products I would suggest best to stick with original. Try and source OS for better price.

Mclovin22 (10-04-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by jya
I'd agree with you on the overheat protection 100%! Didn't even know the car had this. I can say that even on 100 degree days I've never once heard the fan go on after ignition off. Sometimes on these hot days I've left the ignition on (fan running) for a few minutes to cool the engine bay down.
OP lives in a hot region so as much as I love the very high quality Davies Craig products I would suggest best to stick with original. Try and source OS for better price.
I agree as well, I have the fans programmed to help with cooling as well as a lower temp thermostat and have yet to really hear the cars fan kick on much after having left it in the garage.

I happen to live in a hot climate as well here in Houston Tx. This summer for most of it, it was well over 105 F or 40 Celsius. I’ll start looking for the OE/OEM part # for my 2006 STR.

Old 10-04-2023, 03:49 AM
jya
Received 163 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by scottics
Thanks Abanono and kr98664 for advice, appreciated. I will get a new aftermarket compressor about $600Au. I think i will replace the Aux pump with one of these EBP23 and adapt it.
http://daviescraig.com.au/media/1110...e26Feb2016.jpg
for $110Au, as Jag one is $538. anyone know what the reciever/dryer looks like. my Build Date 03/2004 VIN SAJAC0R25HN20042.
Thanks.
I had a lot of fun installing the compressor on my STR, twice..
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-dryer-241204/
As per my above post, I'd buy the compressor from Cooldrive/Jayair here if you haven't done so already. Not an exact fit but its working very well after 3 years. See if they have the desiccant bag and change that while you're at it. Needed new green O rings rather than the black ones supplied on the compressor, as was leaking after I fitted it at the pad with the black rings.
Was at the AC workshop last week and they were cursing changing a leaking evaporator on the last Australian built Commodore V6 model (a GM product). They had the whole dash apart and plenty of bits apart in the engine bay. They weren't happy doing the job. Was a very low mileage car as well.