S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Avic D3 Finally Installed - Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avic D3 Finally Installed - Pictures

So I finally got my Avic D3 installed. Took a bit of money to get the custom install done but I think in the long run it is worth not messing up my car over. I ended up getting it done at Car Toys down here in Houston Texas and it cost me around $600. I have the Bluetooth/Ipod connector hooked up and I ran a bypass on it so that I can play videos while I drive (for my passenger not for me). What do you guys think of the job?

Oh yeah, and the car is a 2004 Jaguar S-Type 3.0. The only mod I have done so far is the white LED's on the license plate. I am not that big on some of the mods so I am not sure what all I am going to do to it.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Avic D3 Finally Installed - Pictures

Looks good man. The flash makes the dash look a little more harsh but I'm sure it looks great in person. How you liking the avic d3? Navi good or no? What about the ipod controls and what not? It's always good to get true real opinions of people that have the stuff as I've referred a few people on here to them...

Old 02-24-2008, 05:47 PM

Great job on the install. Aquill and I are working on putting the parts together to do the same with my X. So I'm anxious as well to hear your opinions ofit. Great job also on the splashscreens. Did you do them yourself or were you able to find them ontheweb somewhere? I have only built one so far but I'll gladly share with you. If this picture doesn't work, PM me and I'll email you thefile.

Name:  JagSplashScreen.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  18.4 KB

Old 02-24-2008, 06:18 PM

Beelab,

Yeah I built them myself, here they are if you want them.

I love the Avic, the nav is pretty good or at least it is for me. Yeah I wish they could have made the custom outside area look a little more like the rest of the dash but it's what they did and I can't build anything better. The Ipod controls on it work gerat for the music, I just make sure my genre's are all set right so that way it makes it easy for me to find a song I am looking for.

The video on the ipod for it is ok. The only issue is that you can't control the video from the dash, you have to do it from the actual Ipod it's self. That part kind of sucks but it works good since the Ipod mount is in the console.

Let me know if you have any more questions about it, plus I would like to see the backgrounds you have.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:21 PM

Thanks...They are tremendous! Do you by chance, still have the photoshop files? I'd love to modify that third one to say X-type andmaybeuse a green tint in thebackground.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member

Hey std what wiring harness did they use/where did they get it from?

Old 02-24-2008, 09:13 PM

I wish I knew what wirring harness they used. I will give them a ring and ask them if they will tell me. I have heard a few rumors that you can use a Ford one on it but I am not really sure. I will call them tomorrow and see what they saw.

They did not hook up the VSS wire so I need to see if I can take it in and get them to do that.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member

Unfortunately the ford harness that was being used was on the early model s-type, for instance the 2001's. I'm not for sure I'm going to take my radio tomorrow to see if it's possible or not. But I know the ford unit that fits the early s-types but I don't know what one would fit the later years.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:38 PM

Are you looking at taking it to get it done somewhere are doing it yourself? If you are gonna do it yourself how are you planning on buildnig the (for lack of a better term) faceplate for it. That is what I was stuck on trying to make. I do not have the tools nor unfortunilty the talent to build and cut one myself.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member

By using mdf or medium density fiberboard it is actually quite easy. Very minimal tools are required actually. The hard part is the wiring kit. But you can get those from nexxia but I don't understand why there isn't anyone here in the states that has any of them. Here is one a guy made from scratch...

Old 02-26-2008, 07:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This setup is the EXACT same setup that I wanted to do on my 03 S Type. It looks amazing! How much did everything cost you in total? I'm just looking for a ball park figure so I'll know much I'll have to slave this summer to get it done.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member

The cost depends on what you want to do on your own and what you want someone else to do. I could get you a avic d3x which has bluetooth, remote and ipod connector for $750 if they are still available come summer. I've found that metra now makes a dash kit and actually will more than likely have a dash kit sitting around for the x-type! The kits cost 30 bucks I'm supposed to get it tomorrow. As for wiring harness I've had a great time trying to find one...

Old 02-27-2008, 12:13 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the exact same setup I was looking into for the summer! Do you have an estimate of how much in total this costed?

Old 02-27-2008, 08:06 AM

For the one that I had done I ended up paying $760 for the head unit, IPod connector and Bluetooth. I got it off of www.CartronixPlus.com with the 3 year extended warranty on it. I was a bit worried about getting it from this site but every where I looked they had good reviews.

I ended up having to pay around $600 to get it installed and to have a front plate designed for it. I know, I know, that's a bit much but I really have no talent what so every when it comes to installing car stereos and did not want to mess it up. I just wished they would have made the material match the A/C unit better on mine.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

$600 for the install? No back up camera or anything like that just for the dash kit wiring harness and hooking up the radio?[X(]

Metra makes a dash kit for 30 bucks and you can get the harness and antenna from nexxia making the job easy. Anyone could add a radio to the car with the dash kit, harness and antenna. Keep this in mind 03s-type. I'll have pics of the dash kit later today...

Old 02-27-2008, 05:41 PM

stdjrm17. . I myself live in Houston, what Car Toy's did you have the work done. The one in my neck of the
woods closed down last year.Looking for a decent CD/PM3 player that works through my factory nav. system.

I love that second Jaguar Screen , "it's sick" as one of my employee's would say. Does anyone know if
it's possible to change the Screen Logo on the factory Nav. unit?

Thanks

Old 02-27-2008, 09:15 PM

Cajun Mojo, I live up on 1960 and 249 but I ended up going to the one in The Woodlands. The one on 1960 wanted to charge me around $1000. I think I got a better deal up in The Woodlands since I told the guy I was part of a Jaguar club and would send some people into them if they did a good job.

I mean technically I am about of a Jaguar Forum, I mean isn't that part of a club? :-)

Old 02-27-2008, 09:16 PM

As far as the images, if any of you guys need some Photoshop work done let me know, I was a photo major in college and have a good knowledge of Photoshop.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:02 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

ORIGINAL: stdjrm17

As far as the images, if any of you guys need some Photoshop work done let me know, I was a photo major in college and have a good knowledge of Photoshop.
Very nice work on those splash images...and I am sure you will get some requests for help using PS. I am more of a photo-editing kind of guy...not a graphics creator.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:01 PM

beelab43,

Let me know your email address and I will send you the photoshop file of it, or I can just change it to say X-Type for you and post it on here if you want.

Quick Reply: Avic D3 Finally Installed - Pictures