S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Awakening the big cat - e_brugal RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 08:13 AM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Awakening the big cat - e_brugal RESOLVED

Hi guys, here I will be updating my progress with the repair of the Jag and asking for some help.

This is how I end up with the S Type.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/new-member-area-intro-must-5/new-jag-guy-241342/

And for the update, I couldn't start the car, I think is not a security system problem. So, yesterday I put new tires on it and send the car to my mechanic, let's see what happens.

​​​​​​

One thing that I want to ask is about the key Fob. I opened and cleaned it up, but still not working. I read that if you don't use the key fob for more than I year it stop working and will have to be reprogram, is this true?
​​​

Last edited by e_brugal; 02-03-2021 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 489 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by e_brugal
Hi guys, here I will be updating my progress with the repair of the Jag and asking for some help.

This is how I end up with the S Type.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...ag-guy-241342/

And for the update, I couldn't start the car, I think is not a security system problem. So, yesterday I put new tires on it and send the car to my mechanic, let's see what happens.

​​​​​​

One thing that I want to ask is about the key Fob. I opened and cleaned it up, but still not working. I read that if you don't use the key fob for more than I year it stop working and will have to be reprogram, is this true?
​​​
with these cars anythings possible! I think some modules do lose their brains every now and then though so it’s possible

The following users liked this post:
e_brugal (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,559 Likes on 3,964 Posts

about the key Fob. I opened and cleaned it up, but still not working. I read that if you don't use the key fob for more than I year it stop working and will have to be reprogram, is this true?
​​​
I don't believe it's true. (Where would the timer be? The cars are quite crude computer-wise.)

Old 02-03-2021, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,474 Likes on 1,942 Posts

If you can help us out with more info we might have some suggestions?
It will be very expensive to own a Jaguar second hand and use a commercial garage to fix it!

When you say it won't start does it turn over at all?
Look at the PATS light which is in the center of the dash up at the base of the windshield. Is it blinking? Is it solid red?

The key fob is really two items in one. Do the buttons unlock the car?
If the car is not turning over then the second part of the fob might be the problem.

Also how many keys did you get?
You will for sure want 2 working keys.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
If you can help us out with more info we might have some suggestions?
It will be very expensive to own a Jaguar second hand and use a commercial garage to fix it!

When you say it won't start does it turn over at all?
Look at the PATS light which is in the center of the dash up at the base of the windshield. Is it blinking? Is it solid red?

The key fob is really two items in one. Do the buttons unlock the car?
If the car is not turning over then the second part of the fob might be the problem.

Also how many keys did you get?
You will for sure want 2 working keys.
It does nothing, not even cranks, all the lights turns on. The PATS Light is solid. I recorded this two videos last week and post it in another thread of other member having almost the same problem. Fill free to watch.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/y2r20..._1699.mp4/file

https://www.mediafire.com/file/veawc..._1701.mp4/file

The key fob doesn't do anything, won't unlock, lock, neither the trunk. Just got 1 key with a key fob.

It was my dad's car and he passed away in November 2020.

Thanks for any help!!!

Old 02-04-2021, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,090 Likes on 1,477 Posts

Eric,

Just thinking of some basics. How old is the battery and have you had it tested? If the car sat unused for some time, the battery may be in poor condition. Even with a recharge, it may not be able to do its job. If there is any doubt, I'd suggest replacing it.

I'm not sure what to tell you about the PATS indicator. Seems like the anti-theft system is not happy, and is inhibiting the starter. I doubt there is anything major that is wrong. It's just a matter of figuring out why the security system is doing that. I wasn't able to play the videos you posted. Does the light ever flash? If so, that is a fault code and will direct your next steps.

Sorry to hear about your father. It's pretty cool that you have his car. I'm sure you (or your mechanic) will be able to figure out the problem and get her back on the road.

Old 02-05-2021, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by kr98664
Eric,

Just thinking of some basics. How old is the battery and have you had it tested? If the car sat unused for some time, the battery may be in poor condition. Even with a recharge, it may not be able to do its job. If there is any doubt, I'd suggest replacing it.

I'm not sure what to tell you about the PATS indicator. Seems like the anti-theft system is not happy, and is inhibiting the starter. I doubt there is anything major that is wrong. It's just a matter of figuring out why the security system is doing that. I wasn't able to play the videos you posted. Does the light ever flash? If so, that is a fault code and will direct your next steps.

Sorry to hear about your father. It's pretty cool that you have his car. I'm sure you (or your mechanic) will be able to figure out the problem and get her back on the road.
Thanks!!

The battery is new, two weeks old.

I went today to check the PATS indicator. I open the car with the key (key fob not working), the alarm kicked on (just lights, no sound) and stopped when I insert the key and open the ignition switch. When I try to start the engine the PATS indicator lights on solid for more or less 3 seconds, after that turns off and never goes on again.

I cleaned up the key fob and change battery. But today I realized that two of the buttons (lock and unlock doors) are not clicking as the trunk and panic ones. I press those two and I can't hear or feel the click on those two, on the panic and trunk I feel and hear the click. Seems like they are stock like they were press in.

Old 02-05-2021, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member

Turn the key on and don't try to start the engine. Observe the PATS light. Maybe it will blink a code as I think you problem is in the security system. If it just goes solid then turns off without anything else happening then that indicates a normal response.

If you think it's NOT that I would pull the starter and bench test it and at least verify it's getting power when you turn the key. You might have a solenoid or relay problem. This can be tested by jumping power to the starter. This will all be difficult unless you can get the car on a lift.

I hate to say this but you might need to get the Jaguar SDD hooked up to it and see what's happening.

Old 02-05-2021, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

I went today to check the PATS indicator. I open the car with the key (key fob not working), the alarm kicked on (just lights, no sound) and stopped when I insert the key and open the ignition switch. When I try to start the engine the PATS indicator lights on solid for more or less 3 seconds, after that turns off and never goes on again.
Okay, making some progress. I believe that is normal from the PATS light. As previously suggested, please try this again but only turn the key to On, not Start. Make sure the light comes on solid briefly and then turns off.

I cleaned up the key fob and change battery. But today I realized that two of the buttons (lock and unlock doors) are not clicking as the trunk and panic ones. I press those two and I can't hear or feel the click on those two, on the panic and trunk I feel and hear the click. Seems like they are stock like they were press in.
If the fob is misbehaving, I wonder if that could confuse the security system. Just to humor me, please remove the batteries from the fob. That way, in case a button is stuck on, it won't matter.

Old 02-05-2021, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by clubairth1
... I would pull the starter and bench test it and at least verify it's getting power when you turn the key. You might have a solenoid or relay problem. This can be tested by jumping power to the starter. This will all be difficult unless you can get the car on a lift.
Whoa! Oprah may be encouraging everybody to "Live your best life", but I've got a WAY better personal motto:

"As little as possible, as long as it takes!"

Remove the starter, let alone crawl under the car or put it on a lift? How about doing a click test at the starter relay under the hood? All nice and clean, with easy access, and you could even eat a sandwich while doing it. Try doing that while removing the starter...

Wiring diagrams here, see figure 02.1 for the starter and control circuit:

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...x2022001en.pdf

Under the hood, at the front power distribution box (fuse panel), place your finger on relay R15. Have a helper turn the key to the start position. Even if the starter was totally dead (or even removed), you should feel this relay click. That means the security system is happy and has allowed the start command to be sent to this relay.

If no click, swap relays with another one of the same size. If your heater/AC fan works, relay R10 would be a good donor for a swap. Try the click test again with this known-good relay and see what happens.

Report what happens and we can suggest some more steps from there.

The following 2 users liked this post by kr98664:
NBCat (02-05-2021), Norri (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 01:31 PM

Well, this morning I went again to the mechanic before all you guys post and before I read your suggestions. He got the car to crank, still not starting. Don't know why but he told me that the battery was dead, but I bought a new one two weeks ago, for real brand new.

After that he told me that he took out the two fuel pumps seems like one of them is damaged. gas tank is in good shape, seems like the gasoline didn't got gooey

Last edited by e_brugal; 02-05-2021 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-06-2021, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 645 Likes on 505 Posts

With a 2001 S-type 3.0, I believe there should only be one fuel pump on the right side of the tank; the assembly on the left side of the tank is a sending unit. Are you sure your mechanic knows what he is doing...?

Also, your might want to consider adding your car's details to your signature line so we don't have to read your intro to figure out which version of the S-type you are talking about. In other words, please help us to help you...

kr98664 (02-06-2021)
Old 02-06-2021, 09:18 AM
Received 6,354 Likes on 5,532 Posts

He does have the details in his signature, I assume he posts a lot from his phone which won't show the signature info.

Old 02-06-2021, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member

Well, this morning I went again to the mechanic before all you guys post and before I read your suggestions.
Sounds like it's time to reorder the priorities in your life.

He got the car to crank, still not starting.
Progress! Getting the starter to crank is a big improvement from your first post. Hopefully your mechanic will run through some basic troubleshooting, checking for fuel and spark.

he told me that the battery was dead, but I bought a new one two weeks ago, for real brand new.
Ah, another big part of the equation. New batteries often are not fully charged at the time of sale. Make sure your mechanic has connected a charger to it, to fully top it off.
​​​​​​​
After that he told me that he took out the two fuel pumps seems like one of them is damaged. gas tank is in good shape, seems like the gasoline didn't got gooey
As previously mentioned, your car will only have one pump. The tank is saddle shaped, with two senders but only one electric pump. I think there's a venturi arrangement that transfers fuel to the side with the pump.

If the fuel is more than a few months old, get rid of it and use fresh. The easily ignitable portion evaporates, leaving behind stuff that looks and smells like gasoline, but is difficult to ignite. This could be a huge part of the problem.

Old 02-06-2021, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by S-Type Owner
With a 2001 S-type 3.0, I believe there should only be one fuel pump on the right side of the tank; the assembly on the left side of the tank is a sending unit. Are you sure your mechanic knows what he is doing...?

Also, your might want to consider adding your car's details to your signature line so we don't have to read your intro to figure out which version of the S-type you are talking about. In other words, please help us to help you...
That's weird, the car details was added by GGG when I made my first post in the new members area, after that I modified the signature (first and second post was through my laptop) . I'm using my phone for a while to post and not my laptop, do I have to add through my phone the car again in the signature?

You were right, I understood wrong what the mechanic said, there's a sending unit (that's the one working) and there's a fuel pum (damaged).

Update: Today he changed the fuel pump and the car started. He sees a lick that is coming from the Hydraulic pump or a Hydraulic hose.

Old 02-06-2021, 09:51 AM
Received 6,354 Likes on 5,532 Posts

That's weird, the car details was added by GGG when I made my first post in the new members area, after that I modified the signature (first and second post was through my laptop) . I'm using my phone for a while to post and not my laptop, do I have to add through my phone the car again in the signature?
You won't get your signature using the mobile app, if you select the full site mode on your phone it might work, I'm not sure.

Old 02-06-2021, 09:59 AM

Sounds like it's time to reorder the priorities in your life.
Seems like I will have to lol

Ah, another big part of the equation. New batteries often are not fully charged at the time of sale. Make sure your mechanic has connected a charger to it, to fully top it off.
​​​​​​​
Yes, he's using another battery, and told me that he will charge mine and try it. If it's not working there's a guaranty on that battery.

As previously mentioned, your car will only have one pump. The tank is saddle shaped, with two senders but only one electric pump. I think there's a venturi arrangement that transfers fuel to the side with the pump.
My bad on that one, I understood him wrong.

If the fuel is more than a few months old, get rid of it and use fresh. The easily ignitable portion evaporates, leaving behind stuff that looks and smells like gasoline, but is difficult to ignite. This could be a huge part of the problem.
After they took out the fuel pump and the sender (left and right) he took all the fuel out and put new today to start the car

Old 02-06-2021, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

You were right...
There's no need to type that out. It's a given around here.

Update: Today he changed the fuel pump and the car started.
Fantastic news. Glad to hear it. So was a discharged battery the reason why the starter wouldn't crank? Followed by a bad fuel pump keeping the engine from running once the starter was working again?

Old 02-06-2021, 10:34 AM

There's no need to type that out. It's a given around here.

Fantastic news. Glad to hear it. So was a discharged battery the reason why the starter wouldn't crank? Followed by a bad fuel pump keeping the engine from running once the starter was working again?
Yes, he told me that the engine sounds great (a beautiful sound), also change oil and verifying everything to be sure that the engine is OK

S-Type Owner (02-07-2021)
Old 02-06-2021, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

Glad to hear the progress! Easy fix too. They are the best.
Now be sure and get 2 keys that work.
Before it's too late.

e_brugal (02-06-2021)

Quick Reply: Awakening the big cat - e_brugal RESOLVED