Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Awwww Nutzzz...coolant

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Awwww Nutzzz...coolant

Howdy Folks!!...
For the last few times that I have driven my Jag, I've noticed an "Old Hose" or coolant smell when I got out... whether shut off or running. I've not noticed any leakage (forgot about the belly pan) so I figured it was OK. Yesterday it was hotter than a Tart up here and I had a lot of stop n'go due to traffic. I could really smell "Hot Hose" so I was anxious to get home. When I arrived I hurriedly opened the hood to see if anything was amiss. I could really smell coolant, and I saw where some had sprinkled the hoses at the front of the SC next to the expansion tank (where that hose splits to two and I guess go back to the SC). I still couldn't see any leaks so I shut her off. After returning home today, (I drove Ol' Blue...my ford pick-up) My wife noticed a large coolant stain on the carport floor from under the Jag. My expansion tank is showing an outside coolant level about 1/2 inch from the top. I took my "mag lite" and checked every where I could from "topside", but all I can see is some coolant in the groves on the belly pan. So I guess I'll start tearing a few things off the front so that I can inspect the front off the engine for leaks of any kind. I certainly hope it's not the dreaded "Under th' Ol' SC Hose"... I'll try to get to it in a day or so... Wish me luck... or at least the wherewithal to greet the circumstance with Grace.

Drive On!!...

Fast Freddie

Old 09-05-2011, 09:46 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

gud luck mate , hope u find the leak , sometimes the leak is small , u can find it only under preassure , find a gud coolant pressure test , consists of pump with pressure gauge and coolant reservoir cap with pressure attachment , pump it upto 80 psi and see , if theres a leak it will show up
or get this done at any shop , they will test it and show u the leak spot for half hour labour , beats buying and finding leak urself and all the hard time + wrong results
cheers

Old 09-05-2011, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by godfatty420
pump it upto 80 psi and see , ...
Please double check. 80 psi is well above the range generally considered safe for cooling system tests.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:07 AM

oh am sorry , i work at heavy duty truck repair shop , i told u the preassure for a commercial truck , really sorry ,
@ plums thanks for the correction ,
well check the preassure with jaguar manual but if theres a leak it will show up at recommended preassure for jaguar cooling system
cheers

Old 09-06-2011, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by plums
Please double check. 80 psi is well above the range generally considered safe for cooling system tests.
Thank you godfatty420 and plums... Yeah, my eybrows had a race to my hairline when I saw that 80 psi also. But his heart was on th' right side. I still haven't checked it out...I'm pretty bummed, hopefully it isn't as bad as it looks.

Thanks Again fellas

Fast Freddie

Old 09-07-2011, 02:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Lookin' forward to hearing good news , hope it's as bad as it seems

Old 09-07-2011, 06:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Freddie, I too have the same presentation of coolant odor, etc. If you haven't found the source of the leak from the top or front, but it collects on the belly pan, then the likely source is the under supercharger coolant line that drains the throttle body and returns it to the main cooling circuit. The leak can be small or large. i have a very small leak and will have the repair performed this winter.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Mine was just smell and a couple of drops on the seam of the reservoir tank. It turned out to be a very slight crack in one of the hose connections.

That's an absurdly fragile piece and it's easy to damage when working on the engine if you lean on any part of it all.

Oh one more thing. Once you stop the leak you will continue to smell it anyway as the left overs take a while to disappear and get heated up hence smell every time you run the car.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Staatsof
Mine was just smell and a couple of drops on the seam of the reservoir tank. It turned out to be a very slight crack in one of the hose connections.

That's an absurdly fragile piece and it's easy to damage when working on the engine if you lean on any part of it all.

Oh one more thing. Once you stop the leak you will continue to smell it anyway as the left overs take a while to disappear and get heated up hence smell every time you run the car.
Thank you folks for your replies. Staatsof, I'm hoping that It's my Exp.Tank. I noticed that there were "sprinklets" of coolant blown back towards the the SC. Which leads me to believe that the leak is from the infamous "nipple leak". Having just had the Serpentine and SC belt changed, and the tight clearances, the Techie may have disturbed the hose while having arms down the front of the engine. At any rate, I'll be exploring possibilities tomorrow.....

Thanks again

Fast Freddie

Old 09-08-2011, 05:15 PM

Here (if it turns out) is a pic of my tank. And the only spot I can see that is discolored is here.

Awwww Nutzzz...coolant-woodland-20110908-00022-1-.jpg

I bought a pressure tester and will apply it tomorrow. Jag says 15 lbs max. So I'll be sure to not go over. I'm hoping this can Be an easy fix (fingers crossed)...

Fast Freddy

Old 09-09-2011, 04:04 AM

hi
my car had leak from same place , the coolant tank had to be replaced
while you are at it , jaguar recommends some pink coloured coolant if u preffer that by the book approach ,
i think a flush is recommended with any gud coolant
cheers

Old 09-09-2011, 04:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Er... it's bright orange, not pink

Make sure to use a compatible one or you may cause severe damage!

Old 09-09-2011, 02:50 PM
Default Part Number or name needed

Howdy Folks!!...
I've developed a good leak. I even bought a pressure tester and found it myself (yeah I know...Big Trickle)... but I am not very mechanicaly inclined, so for me it's a partial "Wooppiee!!.. The attached picture show the hose...I don't have one of those programs where you can do all that fancy pointing n' such. But it's hulighted by my mini-mag light. There are two hoses there side by side. This one is on the right (facing engine) and circles around to the side of the expansion tank. The other goes back between the left side SC box and intake and heads off towards the firewall. Now...The big question...could someone please give me a number for that hose? or possibly the name please. I'd sure like to get Kitty up n' Runnin'

Thanks
Fast Freddie

Awwww Nutzzz...coolant-woodland-20110909-00023.jpg

Old 09-09-2011, 06:27 PM
Default Better pic,s

At Last!!... Took me the better part of an hour...but I finally got these stinkers to stick...I hope they show the hose better. Does anyone have the proper name or number??...

Awwww Nutzzz...coolant-hose-1.jpg

Awwww Nutzzz...coolant-hose-2.jpg

Awwww Nutzzz...coolant-hose-3.jpg

Fast Freddie

Old 09-10-2011, 01:21 AM
Veteran Member

A jag franchise should be able to pull up the various hoses or you could get the parts catalogue JEPC (aka Jaguar EPC). I think it's on this site but if not google

There's a diagram of the coolant circuit in JTIS I think but if not then in a Technical Guide. It's been posted on here if you want to see it but only the EPC will have part #s.

There are online places selling parts such as rockauto and they have various diagrams to help you choose.

The following users liked this post:
hafferf (09-10-2011)
Old 09-10-2011, 06:26 PM

Well... I think I found the part (see attached) But wouldn't you know, the only number it gives is C2C10871 That doesn't seem to be the part number. But downoading the JEPC was worth the Tap Dancing I had to do. In this case...it worked better that the JTIS. It's part Number 4

Drive On!!...

Fast Freddie...

Attached Thumbnails Awwww Nutzzz...coolant-img019.jpg  
Old 09-11-2011, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member

That's a plausible part # (many start C2C) - can't say it's really right but it's at least plausible

Old 09-11-2011, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,877 Posts

That is a good part number but be aware the last 6 digits of your VIN are VERY important. I also have a 2005 STR and have replaced several hoses in the area you have your leak. Change all the hoses you can. It's a snake pit and I had a second pin hole leak several months after the first and had to go in again to replace.

Call Dan at Nalley Jaguar to get parts. 15% discount and usually free shipping. Get ALL the parts before tearing it down.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Snake pit in a Jaguar ... metaphorically dangerous no?

Originally Posted by clubairth1
That is a good part number but be aware the last 6 digits of your VIN are VERY important. I also have a 2005 STR and have replaced several hoses in the area you have your leak. Change all the hoses you can. It's a snake pit and I had a second pin hole leak several months after the first and had to go in again to replace.

Call Dan at Nalley Jaguar to get parts. 15% discount and usually free shipping. Get ALL the parts before tearing it down.