S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back at it again, why must jaguar be such a pain?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 08:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Back at it again, why must jaguar be such a pain?

Well, a while back I posted about my 2000 S type 3litre over heating, changed the thermostat.
Followed bleeding procedure
Still over heating
Changed waterpump.
Bled
Still over heating.
Changed what the auto store called a temp sensor on the block behind the AC compressor. (Short stubby sensor with gray clip looks exactly like ambient temp sensor in front of radiator.)
Bled
Still over heating.
Added a bit of "water wetter" to see if that was my issue but I was fairly certain I mixed the coolant correctly before putting it in but it was worth a shot.
Still overheats

I've noticed an read over the past few days that gauge has been a bit weird on me, correct me of I'm wrong but the gauge will get to about 3/4 of the way hot but within minutes of driving fall back down to halfway. If its hot it should stay hot correct? There's no way the motor could cool it self that fast.

I also read we don't use temp sensors so I have no idea what I changed under the driver side block behind the AC compressor but found that we use engine temp which is the long brass sensor that screws into the cyl head on driver side valve cover. If that sensor is bad would it make my gauge act funky?

No CEL
Fans do seen to kick on a bit early? (After 2-3 minutes of driving) normally
Fans also stay on after short drive sometimes a bit longer than others but no less than 2-3 minutes after the car is shut off
I haven't had the chance to get the system pressure tested but I can't find any leaks anywhere.
Honestly I'm not even sure of the car is "over heating" or of the gauge is just messing with me and the fans. It's never gotten to the dash message point it always gradually falls back To halfway.
Fluid level is fine
And every once in a while ill crack the heater bleeder to see if I can catch an air bubble maybe making my gauge go nuts when it passes through but nothing.

Any input would be greatly appreciated guys! I have a 7 hour trip to take to OC MD in a few weeks for h2o international but now I'm having second thoughts if this is going to keep acting funky
Thanks
Julian

Old 09-03-2013, 07:25 PM

Bump, anybody home? This is killin me! I was thinking today could I have possibly put the short stubby coolant temp sensor in the oil temp spot? Or would clips have not matched up? Or are they potentially the same sensor?

Old 09-03-2013, 07:49 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Get OBD2 scanner with live data stream,connect it while driving and you can monitor coolant temperature in real time. As far as I know we have dummy temperature gauge.

The following users liked this post:
just rob (09-03-2013)
Old 09-03-2013, 08:26 PM
RCG
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Were you in Vernon/Rockville early this afternoon?

Old 09-03-2013, 11:20 PM
Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

Double check the thermostat is not installed backwards and when doing the bleeding procedure the heater is switch on high to have coolant circulate thru the heater core.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:28 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Ditto on the obdII live feed, also a IR temp gun is great so you can take readings on both sides of the thermostat housing to see if the thermostat is working properly.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by RCG
Were you in Vernon/Rockville early this afternoon?
No sir, close though I work in Storrs on campus

Old 09-04-2013, 08:15 AM

Ahh, the IR thermometer was my next step only problem is I don't know what temp I should be looking for. (Before T.stat, after? Upper hose, lower hose.) and the live feed is a great idea I Will try and make it to my buddy's tonight after work to see if I can figure something out. Thanks guy!

Old 09-04-2013, 10:02 AM
RCG
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Stypehooligan
No sir, close though I work in Storrs on campus
I worked there from 1968 to 1992.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:46 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

What your mostly looking for with the IR thermometer is the temp differential between the two sides of the thermostat and the subsequent temp equalization when the T-stat opens.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had overheating problem with my v6 last year. 2-3 minutes of driving and fan kicks in, not to mention when A/C was on, it was skyrocketing the temp gauge and stays after car is turned off. i had a hissing noise coming from the engine and it turned out to be some kind of a 90degree hose that had slipped out. and that was my problem maybe you can check that too. i bought a new hose just in case, but the old one was in good condition.

Last edited by Angel Tsvetkov; 09-05-2013 at 04:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
speedwaymike (09-05-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by RCG
I worked there from 1968 to 1992.
Oh yeah? Small world! I've been a chef in south since about 2006

Old 09-05-2013, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Angel Tsvetkov
i had overheating problem with my v6 last year. 2-3 minutes of driving and fan kicks in, not to mention when A/C was on, it was skyrocketing the temp gauge and stays after car is turned off. i had a hissing noise coming from the engine and it turned out to be some kind of a 90degree hose that had slipped out. and that was my problem maybe you can check that too. i bought a new hose just in case, but the old one was in good condition.
Angel was it a larger 90degree hose? Like right under the throttle body? Now that you say that I looked around and found a Hose that looks rather new, but not exactly a right fit..
I will so check with the IR thermometer today along with the live feed. But I think I found some good news out last night after coming home from work I threw the little handheld scanner I have on the car which happens to do freeze frames and readiness check. And everything looked good freeze frame said my coolant temp was 108 but said my EGR/VVt was not ready and for some reason I remember reading that long brass sensor I was iffy about on the VCR cover was labeled as an egr temp sensor? Any possibly connection?

Old 09-05-2013, 11:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.jagrepair.com/VacuumLeakSType2000.htm this is the hose i am talking about.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:45 PM

Well just an update I changed the long brass sensor in the valve cover so that's another new part to add to the list of things it's not. Haha. I'm all out of ideas! I haven't check the Jose listed above and haven't done the live feed yet either but will later tonight!