S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 06:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad fuel pump?

I have been having occasional problems with a blown fuel pump fuse. It always happens when the engine is warm and I just shut the car off for a few minutes. This past weekend it died while driving (about 80) on the expressway. The fuse was again blown. I replaced it and hoped to be on my merry way, but when I tried to start, it would blow the new fuse. After sitting for approx. 1/2 hour, I replaced the fuse again and it started just fine. Made it home fine by keeping my speed down. I have already replaced the fuel filter, so I guessing the fuel pump is going bad. I see that RockAuto has 2 different fuel pumps listed. A Bosch for $950 and an Airtex for $600. Does anyone know the difference or have a recommendation? Any thoughts comments on if I do have a fuel pump problem?

Thanks in advance...

Old 05-20-2012, 12:28 PM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

This could indeed be a fuel pump going south or a circuitry issue. You have 2 fuel pumps - a main fuel pump (passenger side) and a "transfer" pump (driver's side) - Before investing big bucks on replacement pumps you should check into the following: Inertia Switch (driver's foot well), fuel pump relay (in fuse box - trunk - see if it gets really super hot after you drive - this could be an indicator of a electrical resistance issue, a short to ground or the relay itself could be shot) and wires, grounds and connectors at both the fuel pump and transfer pump.

If you have JTIS this would be helpful to identifying and testing the above. Good Luck.

Last edited by abonano; 05-20-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The very next instance of blowing a fuse I'd whip out a meter and check for a short to ground right then and there.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:23 PM
Default more...

Thanks for the responses guys. A friend is going to show me how to use the meter tomorrow, so I will check that next time. As far as the inertia switch goes, what is there to check on it besides if it is tripped or not? Concerning the hot fuel pump relay, I did notice when it died on the xway that everything in the trunck fuse box was very hot...I have no idea if this is normal or not. All the fuses/relays seemed very hot to touch.

One last piece of info, not sure if it is related or not. After a cold start and just driving for a minute or 2, it bogs badly when trying to accelerate. This only lasts for a minute or 2 until the engine is warmer, then it goes away. When it happens, the sound inside the car sounds almost like I am driving over rumble strips on the road, very strange. Will post more afte the next episode and I am hopefully able to throw a meter on it.

Thanks Again.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,937 Posts

Make sure no signs of damp in the trunk (remove spare to look).

Old 05-24-2012, 08:24 PM
Default JaguarMerriamParts

Everything I check seems fine, so I am leaning towards replacing the fuel pump. Question, I found a website called JaguarMerriamParts.com that has prices that seem to good to be true. They say they are an actual Jag dealer. They have my fuel for a little over $400. Most other places are over $1,000. I always feel a little cautious when something appears to good to be true. Does anyone on here have experience with them?

Old 05-24-2012, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by bekowies
Everything I check seems fine, so I am leaning towards replacing the fuel pump. Question, I found a website called JaguarMerriamParts.com that has prices that seem to good to be true. They say they are an actual Jag dealer. They have my fuel for a little over $400. Most other places are over $1,000. I always feel a little cautious when something appears to good to be true. Does anyone on here have experience with them?
I just ordered rivets for my license bracket from them - I've used them in the past as well. The price looks good but sometimes you can order it and they send you an email saying the price is different. (They send out these orders to local Jaguar Parts departments and they furfill them) A few thoughts - if your going to change the fuel pump - might be a good idea to change out the fuel sender unit as well. (If not, pull it out and change the filter sock at the very least. (Order the fuel sock from Rock Auto - a few bucks) Be sure to also order the fuel pump and sender gasket (Numbers 11 and 14 on the diagram) - DO NOT reuse those gaskets! Also, if your DIY - be very careful when removing the retainer rings you don't crack or damage them (They can be removed with a piece of wood and a mallet; no need to purchase the OTC fuel ring tool at a cost of $200+ for the tool - TAKE YOUR TIME!) or they will need to be replaced as well - Good Luck!

Did you check out Nalley Jaguar's price for this part? You get a 15% discount and free shipping.. Just my $0.02

Last edited by abonano; 05-24-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:50 PM
Default Time for an update

Ok, I did replace the fuel pump with one from JaguarMerriamParts.com and everything has been working fine ever since. I'm generally quite skeptical when a price seems to good to be true, but in this case it worked great for me.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by bekowies
Ok, I did replace the fuel pump with one from JaguarMerriamParts.com and everything has been working fine ever since. I'm generally quite skeptical when a price seems to good to be true, but in this case it worked great for me.
Good deal!