S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad people drive jaguars...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 04:31 AM
Received 10,456 Likes on 6,904 Posts

I agree with the Aussie attitude.

We got lots of comments when the XJ-S was the Daily driver. A lot of "is it still a V12 mate?". Especially when in the Aussie Outback, when most comments were of the like "it really did get this far from civilization", or "you drove this from WHERE?????".

The MK10 was just awe at the sheer size of the thing.

The Silver S Type gets little comment, but lots of lookers.

The Black S Type gets all sorts of comments and glares. I suppose the black windows dont help. HAHA.

We fit the "older" part of the scenario just fine.

I simply dont care, just get on with what I need/want to do.

I adopted the attitude a very long time ago that "The Jag has nothing to prove to anyone, nuf said".

Old 01-11-2014, 04:46 AM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RCG
manycars;

Just out of vulgar curiosity, what is the impression, among folks in the UK, of drivers of X350 saloons?
All Jags get the same treatment.

Even my wife was a firm anti Jag campaigner, until I showed her the one which we now have. It seems that the chrome was the main turn off, so our Sport which is all black, got the nod of approval.

This Jag = old fart idea seems proportionate to the amount of chrome on said Jag. More chrome = more old fartyness. Just a theory.....

I will add, when the chaps at work knew I bought a Jag, they were all Wow and Cool. When I turned up, they all wanted to see it. Most interestingly, most of them are in their 20's, aspiring to BMWs.

Last edited by manycars; 01-11-2014 at 04:50 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,516 Likes on 3,927 Posts

Mine has no chrome as I preferred that kind. hmm, theory is OK so far!

Old 01-11-2014, 09:01 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by poodledoodledude
For the 2nd time this month, I've overheard folks talking about people that drive jaguars. It's the NUTTIEST thing I've ever heard.

The first was last week when I pulled up I'm my s type-- silver 2007, mind you. Nice little simple car. I get out and see two 20-something's look at me, and then one says to the other, "probably a drug dealer or something..." I thought they were crazy and went on my way. Then, JUST TODAY I'm driving around in the same jag, get out if the car and a lady next to me in the grocery store parking lot says, "nice car, but we don't want any trouble."
?!?!?! WHAT?! I'm the nicest guy. Look like your average 40-something. Minding my own business. My silver s type us just a normal s-type! Not souped up, nothing fancy, no bling-- just a regular silver jag.
I was talking to some friends today and they too, said that people who drive jags are RICH and are known for being "in the mob." ?!?!? Are they SERIOUS?? That is the most IDIOTIC thing I've ever heard!
Where does this "bad boy" reputation come from with jaguars?? My other jag is a 2003 super v8-- if they would've seen me climb outta THAT I would've had the cops called on me FOR SURE!!
Is it TV that's giving this image of sketchiness? Hollywood? Am I just living in a strange place? (Utah-- gotta be it!) or is this a normal reaction for others?? It's mostly the 20-something's I hear this from......your thoughts??
LMAO, this is too funny. Now I will have to put a badge of two chrome pistols crossing each other on my souped up STR.

The following users liked this post:
poodledoodledude (01-11-2014)
Old 01-11-2014, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,349 Likes on 2,846 Posts

As others have said, I don't give a rat's *** what anyone else thinks of our two Jaguars or of us. I know what purposes we purchased them for, and I know what the bang-for-the-buck factor was for each one. As far as I'm concerned, that's all that matters....

The following 2 users liked this post by Jon89:
poodledoodledude (01-11-2014), sklimii (01-12-2014)
Old 01-11-2014, 11:43 AM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by campaign308
Haha, just the other day I stopped at a fast food joint, put the car (2005 Jaguar S-Type V8) in park and sent a few emails as I was waiting for family and seen a man just staring at me or the car for quite some time and I stared back as well...I got out the car and you should of seen the face on the guy once he seen me ! Probably because I'm Latino and 20 years old ?
HAHA! this reminds me of when i was in my 20's and had my 94 vanden plas-- black exterior with sable interior-- everyone, and i mean EVERYONE thought it was my grandfathers! ...they were SHOCKED when they found out it was mine

Old 01-12-2014, 05:07 AM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I think that some of it comes from 1970s film and television. For example, many episodes of the brilliant 1970s cop show "The Sweeney" feature Mk2s and S-types being used as getaway cars for bank robbers, and in reality that was not from the truth. The reason was that they were quick and spacious - Pace and Space, although no-one really worried about the Grace part of it - and cheap to buy because many were rusty heaps that were beyond economic repair.

That has planted the "memory" of Jaguars as villain's cars - and Hollywood has often reinforced that idea and also associated them with successful, mature businessmen.

No doubt there is/was an American car (of group of cars) that fall into the same bracket. In the UK we tend to think of old Cadillacs as being "pimpmobiles"

Old 01-12-2014, 08:21 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I live in an "55 and older" community in Florida. It is populated with mostly Camrys and Sonatas with a few Avalons and Lexi.
When I got my 8 year old S-Type everybody congratulated me on my "new" Jaguar. There was no jealousy or hate, just admiration.
I didn't get it as a status symbol, I got it for my pleasure and enjoyment, not anybody else's.
But there is no doubt that you get more respect from valet parkers and "nice car!" comments when you're out and around.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:22 AM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

LOL!

Can't tell you how many times I've heard "looks like a drug dealers car" commented on my STR...

Clean, green and with tinted windows I'm told says it all...

Old 01-12-2014, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,440 Likes on 896 Posts

Aussies' attitudes to Jaguars and Jag drivers?

I can add little to earlier posts by Doug and Grant. I think the vast majority of local Jags are very well presented and command high prices - see my Christmas thread on E-Type forum about prices. Even for a rare flat floor 3.8L S1, the price of AU$210,000 (then par with US$) is a serious wad of cash. So, I sense that the average Aussie sees classic Jags as real prestige cars - love one, but may never afford one. Not convinced that same aura surrounds all modern Jags.

Both our huge gold Daimler VanDen Plas and rumbling 4.2 S1 E-Type were first class head turners on every occasion, and over many years. My wife used to love the many admiring reactions when she went shopping in the Daimler - although not her weekly stop for fuel. After an age filling the huge LHS tank, she then moved over to start on the RHS. Chap in the car waiting behind yelled out "Great car lady - but leave some for us!!!"

Roadside breathalyser squads back in the 70s and 80s were a peril in the E-Type. Having pulled in for the compulsory "blow in the bag", you would do well to get away inside 10 or 15 minutes as half a dozen young coppers drooled all over the car, persuaded you to lift the bonnet and always the same eager questions "So it's a big V12, eh?"

Well ... No ... Actually, that's the wife's car right behind me."

Cheers.
Ken

Old 01-12-2014, 03:03 PM
Received 198 Likes on 166 Posts

I've gotten plenty of strange looks for my last few vehicles: 7-series BMW, E-class Mercedes, now an S-Type; all before I am 30.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:04 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Reason for driving my S Types from 2000.

the first one with 215.000 km's costs me 1600,- euro
the second one with 146.000 km's cost me 3100,- euro

I don't care what people think, I drive auto emotion for very little cash
My mother loves the car but hates the leaping cat I put on the hood she says it makes it a posh car that gets recognized faster then without the leaper.

I'm almost 50 years old but when it comes to cars I stopped aging when I was 20

Old 01-12-2014, 06:18 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I diffidently get the looks, Must be the teeth! Roar!

Old 01-13-2014, 01:44 PM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by GT42R
LOL!

Can't tell you how many times I've heard "looks like a drug dealers car" commented on my STR...

Clean, green and with tinted windows I'm told says it all...
I'm sure you're right about a Jag with tinted windows.

But the minute I tell them I got the car on eBay, everything changes. They want full details of the transaction, performance, maintenance cost, speeding offences, they want to sit in the car and listen to the engine, they want to smell the leather, admire the handbrake and the windscreen washers on the wiper blades, all is love.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know why the S-Type is so intimidating.....smiling

Old 01-14-2014, 01:48 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I was a guest at a wedding over the summer. It was on a beautiful farm in the sticks of Pennsylvania. The night was coming to an end and, "uncle Stew" was getting ready to leave for the night.. as he walked towards the parked cars I casually said "I hope he doesn't hit my car".. A voice came out of left field saying uncle Stew is pretty drunk but, he is a lawyer, he's rich, that's gotta be his Jag, I doubt he will hit your car. I casually say "that is my car". I will never forget the looks of their faces, eyes wide, jaws dropped, speechless. On the ride home my girlfriend receives a text from her friend(the bride).. it reads.."so all my friends cannot stop talking about your boyfriends baller *** car, the common consensus is he's gotta be a drug dealer, like kingpin type level" Hahahaha.. if they only knew the car was over 10 years old and under $10,000. Kingpin Lol! The drug dealer stigma strikes again!

The following 2 users liked this post by ONEsicJAG:
Panthro (05-09-2016), SlimGoody (01-14-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 11:28 AM
Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

I'v never heard the drug dealer reference. Around here I think they drive BMW, Merc, Audi etc. I have had plenty of good comments about it though.

I was stopped at a crosswalk in Las Vegas a few years ago, and as some people were crossing in front of me, a guy stops in front of me points at the car and says "Nice car" and kept on walking. Priceless.

A few weeks ago I was driving in town and happened to stop next to another S Type. We both looked at each other, gave "the old head nod" and went our separate ways.

Jags, especially S Types are not very common here in the twin cities. More often than not I think people see a Jag and think to themselves, "There goes another rich "B@$t@%^". Little do they know, most of us are not.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:27 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

My kids always thought Jags (XJ's and S-types) were old man cars. Most of the time I see women driving the X-Types and S-Types 3.0's, a mix of women and men driving the 4.0's and mostly older men with the XJ's and Guys around 40-50 driving the S-Type R.
I had a few of my daughter's friends ride in my car, all boys, and they were like "cool car", but I don't have any blacked out windows or oversized wheels with low profile tires.
I haven't seen too many S-Type R's around with blacked out windows, though there are some. When I drive to the "not so nice" area's in DC metro area, there are some Jags typically in not so go condition, but I wouldn't call them drug dealers. Just older folks typically who want a Jag and can afford an older one. We get a lot more BMW's and Mercedes with blacked out windows and 22" chrome wheels who are more the "Hood" attitude. Most people do think that Jag owners are wealthy as even with an older one, you spend tons of money on the repairs. ;-) Jag's are unique and not everyone and their brother owns one. That's why I like it.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:35 PM
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

No matter what one's experienced, until you've driven to/through NYC and have tinted windows on your jag, you've not been harassed. I got pulled over in the summer by 2 policemen. They pulled out and followed me for approximately 1/4 mile and ran my tags/credentials.

They pulled me over after I crossed a major intersection, started the flashing lights and called for backup. Next I knew 4 cars were within reach and 8 officers. I was asked for my credentials which I supplied and just at that time, one officer was waving the one who'd had possession of my licence etc to return it.

He returned my items and said have a good night sir. Guess when they saw I was 51 and have a special seal on my record, they knew better LOL.....

Old 01-14-2014, 04:00 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Only comments I've had about my car is either they say that's a really nice car, or they ask me what I do for a living.

Quick Reply: Bad people drive jaguars...