S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Remote

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013 | 06:39 PM
|
Default Bad Remote

Hi all, I'm a newbie to the Jag scene and am looking for some help. I just purchased a 2003 STR w/ 59000 original miles-beautiful black with platnum leather & black carpetting. Oh yeah, my dilema The key remote has been cleaned and tested (is transmitting signal) but none of the funtions are working i.e. doors/trunk unlocking arm/disarm etc. I am going to pull eacj fuse, spray with dielectric cleaner and try that. Does anyone have any other remedies or old family recipes for me????

Old 03-08-2013 | 12:03 AM

Did you try the valet button in the glove compartment?

Old 03-08-2013 | 08:04 AM
|

Lmao. Why no, no I didn't . Good thing I've ordered a Owners manual!! I will give it a go

Old 03-08-2013 | 10:03 PM
Veteran Member

Sometimes they just lose the nod. Don't know why. When we bought the 03 used, it didn't work....and only one key/FOB, but a trip to the dealer, along with an eBay FOB and purchased key from dealer stock and some fees and I had 2 functioning of everything. (it takes 2 to program one...or a donor key from another car wrapped in foil and a JagTech that knows that trick)

Now, the 05, previously of 2 functioning keys/FOBS status....wifey informs me the other day the "spare" FOB that she almost never uses has quit working and needs a battery.....and it's been a couple of years....so I dutifully set about a KeyFob Batt R&R, but alas...no joy from the FOB with a new battery. I'll get Motorcarman to reprogram it with WDS next time I have it down his way...but it takes the WDS or whatever the new Jag Dealer equivalent software is to program them and get them talking to the car. For your sake, I hope it is just the valet button issue...

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Old 03-09-2013 | 08:49 AM
Veteran Member

Occasionally my S-Type remote fob will all-of-the-sudden quit functioning. It seems to occur primarily after I've pressed the trunk release button on the dash. I learned a year or so ago that if I immediately go get my wife's S-Type remote fob, bring it out to the car and use it with my fob held right next to it, voila - like magic, my fob immediately begins working again. So if you have two fobs, try this before you spend any money on other attempted fixes....

These cars have many quirks. This seems to be one of them....

Old 03-10-2013 | 12:46 PM
|

Thanks for all of the input, unfortunately after putting all of the ideas to the test, nothing has worked. If pulling and cleaning the fuses doesn't work, it's off to the dealership to spend $

Old 03-10-2013 | 05:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jon89
I learned a year or so ago that if I immediately go get my wife's S-Type remote fob, bring it out to the car and use it with my fob held right next to it, voila - like magic, my fob immediately begins working again. So if you have two fobs, try this before you spend any money on other attempted fixes....

Thanks Jon! Both fobs are the wife's - her car, so I elected to be scientific and as it has been a month or two since I replaced the battery and found it still didn't work, went to the divided compartment basket she keeps them in, normally one in each side - but now both lumped in together. Both have key-rings attached, but only one has a door key on it. I recalled her mentioning the other day she had a house-key on her car key ring, so took both to the car and tried the other one first (to confirm to myself it doesn't work.) But to my great surprise, the car locked, so I tried "unlock" on the same fob. Success again. So ok...I guessed wrong..tried the other "Lock / Unlock" same results. So went back in the kitchen, and asked if she normally uses the one with the key. "I used to...but it quit working so I've been using the other one." Thus defeating my plan to try the dead one first.

But your method works - I know that one of them didn't work a month or two ago!

Old 03-16-2013 | 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

I just replaced one of our FOBs with a new one from Remotes Inc on ebay for $89. Found a locksmith who could cut the key and program the FOB for $90. Done. I believe that's a fraction of what the dealer would hit me for.