S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

badly need s-type help before baliffs come! (P0333 Solved)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

adr147 - for a/c, follow up the DCCV threads (as Rick said).
For MIL (aka eml) I'd clear the code with a cheap USB ELM327 (£11 ebay - search on 327 usb) then if it comes back conclude it really is an issue, whether dead sensor or wiring or whatever.

Knock sensors are quite delicate, be gentle with them!

Last edited by JagV8; 04-01-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:25 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

All I can say is, some people think outside the box, some people can't. I also think in terms of cost. ADR147 has spent £600 with a prospect of another £475 with professional dealers and he is still at the start-gate with his problem. There's no doubt the dealers have all the diagnostic aids money can buy, plus all the training from the factory a Jaguar dealer can get. And ADR147 is still at the start-gate with his problem. Isn't there something a bit obvious here?
The obvious thing to me is that conventional approaches, conventional thinking is costly and doesn't work. That's why he's on this website, just like hundreds of others have been. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.
Leedsman.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member

He has a specific code - allegedly, but easy to check with a device costing about £11. Thinking is required but there's no evidence that thinking outside of any box is required as yet.

He would appear to have had less than ideal "service" (if it can be termed that) from one jag dealer but if you seriously think that proves a large capacitor is the answer then that really would be thinking outside the box.

He also appears to have a very common a/c issue which has been covered so often I wouldn't like to try to count how often.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

finally the light is out! it was the sensor under the manifold as somebody on here said it might be. my advice after this experience never take a car to jaguar. all that time and money and they should have known what it was from the start.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Happy it's resolved.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Good to see! Did it take 6 months to figure it out?

Old 09-27-2011, 04:18 AM

Quote from ADR147 --
"my advice after this experience never take a car to jaguar. all that time and money and they should have known what it was from the start".

Too right matey, too right. When you're paying for professionals, professionals are what you should get. Instead, you have to rely on amateurs, gifted amateurs it has to be said, on this very website. Seems to me, the REAL professionals are right here.

There is obviously something profoundly wrong in this situation, and it's about time something was done about it. What should be done, what CAN be done? Winston Churchill said famously "up with this we shall not put". We, the paying public should never "put up" with this kind of situation. We have a fundamental right to get what we are paying for.

Fortunately we have both free speech, and nowadays websites such as this and others. Names must be named, complaints made, redress sought. Everything provable and documented about these incompetents should be made public, if only to protect unsuspecting people in the future.

Hence my own advice about this very situation, not just for car repairers, but in any other kind of business.

Before dealing with a company new to you, simply "Google" the name of that company plus "complaints". I was astonished at what came up with a huge british car retailer in terms of complaints and problems when I did this. Anyone can do it and it costs nothing. A few minutes spent this way can save hours of frustration and anger later on.
Not to mention lots of dollars/pounds.

Leedsman.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:38 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

"Up with this we shall not put" fine words from an englishman (sorry Yorkshire), since we put up with poll tax, speed cameras coming out of our *****, rubbish roads, congestion charge, illegal clamping, and so many do gooders (doing bad).

and heck the idea of googling complaints seem to be a bit biased as only people who complain would bother, most people having good experience do not log on to say so, the best method is word of mouth, and thats where forums like this are great

Old 09-27-2011, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Good to see! Did it take 6 months to figure it out?
lol no - i was abroad for a fair chunk of it.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Leedsman
Quote from ADR147 --
"my advice after this experience never take a car to jaguar. all that time and money and they should have known what it was from the start".

Too right matey, too right. When you're paying for professionals, professionals are what you should get. Instead, you have to rely on amateurs, gifted amateurs it has to be said, on this very website. Seems to me, the REAL professionals are right here.

There is obviously something profoundly wrong in this situation, and it's about time something was done about it. What should be done, what CAN be done? Winston Churchill said famously "up with this we shall not put". We, the paying public should never "put up" with this kind of situation. We have a fundamental right to get what we are paying for.

Fortunately we have both free speech, and nowadays websites such as this and others. Names must be named, complaints made, redress sought. Everything provable and documented about these incompetents should be made public, if only to protect unsuspecting people in the future.

Hence my own advice about this very situation, not just for car repairers, but in any other kind of business.

Before dealing with a company new to you, simply "Google" the name of that company plus "complaints". I was astonished at what came up with a huge british car retailer in terms of complaints and problems when I did this. Anyone can do it and it costs nothing. A few minutes spent this way can save hours of frustration and anger later on.
Not to mention lots of dollars/pounds.

Leedsman.
true enough - good people on here and they know their stuff - right a/c next not that i am going to need it for 6 months.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by barney100golf
"Up with this we shall not put" fine words from an englishman (sorry Yorkshire), since we put up with poll tax, speed cameras coming out of our *****, rubbish roads, congestion charge, illegal clamping, and so many do gooders (doing bad).

and heck the idea of googling complaints seem to be a bit biased as only people who complain would bother, most people having good experience do not log on to say so, the best method is word of mouth, and thats where forums like this are great
lol in scotland we have hardly any speed cameras, no congestion charge and clamping is illegal - the roads are still crap though!

Old 09-27-2011, 02:15 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Damn I forgot you are a foreign country now, soon need a visa to get there

It might be worth moving there except for the midges and the cold

Old 09-28-2011, 05:36 AM

Re. "Googling" a company to find if it is a good idea to deal with it or not, one criticism has been levied here on the statistical ground that only 'complainers' would bother to connect with a website to voice their grievences. And that therefore, satisfied customers would not. Why? Where is the proof/evidence of this? Famously, in statistics, you can't prove a negative. Invalid argument.
And furthermore I have "Googled" many companies in the same or similar business about complaints, and at the same time, to find no complaints. So why does one in particular stand out from the rest? As Einstein said, all is relative.
Quod erat desperandum.
Leedsman.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:06 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Leedsman
Re. "Googling" a company to find if it is a good idea to deal with it or not, one criticism has been levied here on the statistical ground that only 'complainers' would bother to connect with a website to voice their grievences. And that therefore, satisfied customers would not. Why? Where is the proof/evidence of this? Famously, in statistics, you can't prove a negative. Invalid argument.
And furthermore I have "Googled" many companies in the same or similar business about complaints, and at the same time, to find no complaints. So why does one in particular stand out from the rest? As Einstein said, all is relative.
Quod erat desperandum.
Leedsman.
Wow, Doesn't the UK have the equivalent of the US's Better Business Bureau?

See, the Google thing is weak on either side... See, people aren't going to go out and "post" warm and fuzzy...But they will go out "on a mission" and slam a business in multiple places..Again throwing off the results. Our BBB acts as a mediator and allows other consumers to see how a business resolves issues.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,358 Likes on 2,849 Posts

The Better Business Bureau is somewhat overrated for the "services" it provides. It tends to favor its dues-paying members, at least in our general area. I've utilized the local BBB a number of times over the past decade, and have never been impressed with its function or staff. The Consumer Protection Division of our State Attorney General's office does a much more comprehensive job....

When I need to delve into a business to determine its quality and validity, I call the Attorney General's Office. I never bother with the BBB anymore....

Old 09-28-2011, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member

We have similar-ish places: Trading Standards (government), Which? (non-gov, formerly called The Consumer's Association) and various other watch dogs (incl. a TV programme called Watchdog).

A lot of data is kept out of public gaze, sadly. We're largely "closed" whereas the USA is somewhat "open". There's often no defence here of "fair use", "fair comment" or the like and we have dire defamation (libel & slander) laws. Indeed, your citizens often sue here because they wouldn't have a case under USA law!

Our defamation laws tend to surprise: as the person being sued it is up to you to prove that what you stated is (literally, as stated) true. It is not necessary at all for the person about whom you stated something to show that it was untrue. Yes, the exact opposite of virtually (or entirely?) the whole of the rest of our laws. It's reasonable except there should be more defence available! (Like, you over-hyped a basically correct claim or it was fair comment or something).

This makes it risky to say a garage (or anyone) is bad. And if they ask a web site to take down such a comment then the site needs to do so or it can be joined in any defamation case and may have to pay damages as well as the person who posted the claim. Not funny.

Last edited by JagV8; 09-28-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by barney100golf
Damn I forgot you are a foreign country now, soon need a visa to get there

It might be worth moving there except for the midges and the cold
these days it's so cold even the midges can't cope!

Old 08-09-2016, 12:17 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by adr147
finally the light is out! it was the sensor under the manifold as somebody on here said it might be. my advice after this experience never take a car to jaguar. all that time and money and they should have known what it was from the start.
Was it the knock sensor? I have very similar problem with my '03 S-type (V6); restricted performance on and off, CEL on and off, code P0333. Sometime, it just works great, when limp mode kicks-in, the car jerks on acceleration. I'm debating if I should fix/repair it or just trade-in for new car.
Thanks,

Old 08-09-2016, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

5 yrs ago so may not reply.

With a KS code, go checking / replacing it.

Worth watching fuel trims, too, as jerks might be an air leak masked by bad KS.

The following users liked this post:
ndy4eva (08-09-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by ndy4eva
Was it the knock sensor? I have very similar problem with my '03 S-type (V6); restricted performance on and off, CEL on and off, code P0333. Sometime, it just works great, when limp mode kicks-in, the car jerks on acceleration. I'm debating if I should fix/repair it or just trade-in for new car.
Thanks,
Yes it was - Car is long gone for me now but I miss it!