S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 09:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Battery problems

Hi All im a new user and will be asking a few questions, sorry in advance, I have a 1999 s type jaguar. ok my problem is the Battery light on the display. my friend has just took it for its MOT and on returning from the station the battery light and the alternator light and the traction control light came on, the engine died and trying to start it was not possible as the battery had gone flat, when e brought the Jaguar we fitted the correct battery for it and this took the battery warning sign off the dash, that was until today.

we fetched a spare battery to get it running again and all the warning lights went out but I think this will happen again if its too out again, has anyone experienced this and can help me please. thank you.

Last edited by GGG; 02-08-2014 at 10:37 AM. Reason: edit typo in thread title
Old 02-08-2014, 09:51 AM

sorry for typo errors. should read Battery as header

Old 02-08-2014, 10:36 AM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum dougdotcom,

I've moved your question from Jaguar Forums Advice / Feedback & Suggestion Center to S-Type forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see.

In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 02-08-2014, 10:49 AM

sorry and thank you Graham

Old 02-08-2014, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,448 Posts

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of knowledgeable folks here. And me, too.

From your description, the first thing to check is if the alternator is actually charging. I'm not familiar with this exact model of alternator, but on some types it's possible for the alternator to fail without turning on the warning light. Basically, the alternator needs to be healthy enough to turn on the warning light to tell you it has failed. So a lack of a warning light doesn't necessarily mean the alternator is good.

To check, connect a voltmeter directly to the battery terminals. Start the engine and hold the RPM around 1800 or so. (You may need a helper) If the alternator is working properly, you should see right around 14.5 volts. Any less indicates a problem with the alternator and/or the connecting cables.

If the battery was already fully charged and the voltage reading was low, run the headlights on bright and the heater fan on high for a few minutes and then turn them off. This will drop the charge slightly and force the system to recharge the battery, and you should then see the 14.5 volts.

Run this quick test and report back. We can then walk you through the next steps, but this is the first step to tell us how to proceed.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Welcome to the forum, doughdotcom. I'm sure you'll find a wealth of information here to help keep your S-type in fine nick. Now.....help us help you:

Originally Posted by dougdotcom
Hi All im a new user and will be asking a few questions, sorry in advance, I have a 1999 s type jaguar. ok my problem is the Battery light on the display. my friend has just took it for its MOT and on returning from the station the battery light and the alternator light and the traction control light came on, the engine died and trying to start it was not possible as the battery had gone flat, .

As Pooh observed "That's what Jagulars do (when they have a flat battery)" [the parenthetical bit went un-uttered in the animated video]
Now it is a bit irregular, though not unheard of for everything to be normal then get batt/alt/Engine stall all at once. More generally, you get a few days of EPB, ABS, and transmission failure lights first as the battery goes weak - rare for an actual "Battery" light - that would be too easy. Not familiar with the "Alt" light as I don't believe the MY03 and sub have such, only a red battery indicator to tell you the charging system isn't working properly (or that you've installed an aftermarket alternator and everything else is otherwise fine) None too familiar with the MY99-02 IP. But, as-described, you very well may have a failed charging system.

when e brought the Jaguar we fitted the correct battery for it and this took the battery warning sign off the dash, that was until today. .

I think the key here is the elapsed time between purchase/battery fitment and your friend's excursion for the MOT? Are we talking about a new battery that is a few days' old? or several months or years?

we fetched a spare battery to get it running again and all the warning lights went out but I think this will happen again if its too out again, has anyone experienced this and can help me please. thank you.

Now that you've fitted a battery that seems to have everything sorted, get the charging system checked out. If it is good, then your problem is likely the battery, irrespective of how new it may be - they can have infant failures in a cell or plate. Note carefully the age and condition of your spare. What's fine today, mayn't be tomorrow - and just because it successfully cranks the car to a good start doesn't necessarily make it good. There is a thread here somewhere seeking to catalogue all the various cautions and warnings that have been pre-cursors to a failing battery.
But if the charging system is kaput, you'll need to investigate further whether the alternator or something else. Beware aftermarket alternators, quite common they fit up and work just fine, but you'll have a constant battery light.

Best of luck, welcome again, and do drop by the new members section and make a proper introduction for a warm welcome.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:33 PM

Hi and thanks ill do all the tests Tomorrow, the battery was brand new, fitted about a week after buying it and taking for MOT, I brought the car with this fault so after fitting the battery and the battery light going out I thought id got lucky, I also have software and laptop ready if the tests you have given me do nothing to help. Many thanks.

Doug.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:07 PM
Default reason fro alternator fault

this is the alternator removed today, it has zero output, ordered a replacement. its covered in thick clay type oil inside and outside.

Attached Thumbnails Battery problems-photo-19-.jpg   Battery problems-photo.jpg  

Last edited by dougdotcom; 02-09-2014 at 03:43 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 02-09-2014, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Sounds like you found the problem. Don't understand the petroleum coating - car have a prior leak that has since been repaired?

Old 02-10-2014, 05:44 PM
Default reply

Ok, yes its odd that, there's no leaks around it, must have been repaired, odd thing the date stamp on the alternator is 2012, wonder if the guy brought a new alternator then swapped for the one I took off because he knew he was selling the car for a low price, let you know if its working when the replacement arrives. thanks again.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:04 PM

New Alternator fitted, now charging as it should, thanks every one, onto next problem now, a slight misfire on tic over, had new plugs fitted so could this be a coil pack?

Old 02-13-2014, 02:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 3,945 Posts

Almost always a coil or one of the vacuum hoses that perishes such as the one well below the manifold you had off for the plugs.