S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 08:36 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Battery replacement

I did a search on "battery" and there are tons of messages....too many to wade through for these pretty basic questions.

1. I have a 2005 S-Type 3.0 with the original battery. We've not had any problems or indications of problems to come. Should I replace the battery anyway?

2. In the only car I've replaced the battery, we just popped it in. Because of all the digital systems, I'm concerned that there is some special or recommended replacement process. Is there?

3. What after-market battery brands are worth looking at?

Thanks for your patience.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:45 AM
Received 161 Likes on 56 Posts

1. If it aint broke don't fix it. (Upgrade is aways nice.)

2. Disconect, install new one. Reprogram windows and parking brake.

3. Yellow Top Optima

All IMO, but at least it's a bump for you. I feel your pain on the search. lol

Old 07-20-2011, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,360 Likes on 2,851 Posts

Our 2005 S-Type also still has its factory battery. I check the cells every three months (especially in this ridiculous summer heat) and top up with distilled water as necessary. Our factory battery has never indicated a problem, so I'll keep running it until it does, or until the cold weather in winter begins to affect it....

We know the symptoms of a dying battery in these cars: flaky transmission shifts that have never been an issue before, Dynamic Stability Control light flashing for no reason, electronic park brake problems, strange codes being thrown for no reason. When and if these issues begin, a new battery is called for. Until then, we'll keep right on plugging away with the factory battery. At six years old now, I will not be surprised if I have to replace our battery in winter 2011/2012....

Old 07-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SchultzLD
1. If it aint broke don't fix it. (Upgrade is aways nice.)

2. Disconect, install new one. Reprogram windows and parking brake.

3. Yellow Top Optima

All IMO, but at least it's a bump for you. I feel your pain on the search. lol
Howdy SchultzLD... Reprogram windows and parking break??... Dang!!.. I can't tell how old mine is. A Jaguar battery... Looks nice and clean... I've had to reprogram the windows in my old XK8, because they adjust down and up when you open the door (convertible) But why would you have to do that in a sedan? And what would changing the battery have to do with the parking brake? Yeah.. th' 60's were kind to me and my brain housing group is faulty...

Thank you for any reply you can give this Ol' Corn Dodger...

Drive on

Fast Freddie

Old 07-20-2011, 01:30 PM
Received 161 Likes on 56 Posts

When I disconected the batt in mine the one touch up was lost, and had to re-set the parking brake. From reading on here, it has to be done everytime. Real easy to do, just one more of the S-Type quirks.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Toller
I did a search on "battery" and there are tons of messages....too many to wade through for these pretty basic questions.

1. I have a 2005 S-Type 3.0 with the original battery. We've not had any problems or indications of problems to come. Should I replace the battery anyway?

2. In the only car I've replaced the battery, we just popped it in. Because of all the digital systems, I'm concerned that there is some special or recommended replacement process. Is there?

3. What after-market battery brands are worth looking at?

Thanks for your patience.
I did mine as soon as I got it last year. Bosch @ Pepboys - under $100.
Bosch is decent stuff. Re-programming as noted in this thread and that was it.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Duralast Gold from Auto Zone last winter $140.00 with my Zone card $120.00ish.

EPB and the clock was all that needed to be reprogramed. NO windows, seats, mirrors etc...

Old 07-20-2011, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Toller
Well we did his work for him.

A suggestion for the moderators.

Maybe stuff as common as this could be tacked onto the end of another pre-existing thread? The same goes for "Looking for brake pads & rotors" too.

I'm not sure what to suggest for "I'm thinking of an STR". Apologies to all the other S-Type non "R" owners out there. Which is most of you by a long shot.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:58 PM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

The PO replaced ours 5/10 with a Jaguar battery. Apparently all the service was done at the dealer on this car. I have been sort of curious what a genuine Jag one costs. According to the Gaudin site $245.50.

I don't know how that pertains to the thread but maybe a refernce point when shopping.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof
Well we did his work for him.

A suggestion for the moderators.

Maybe stuff as common as this could be tacked onto the end of another pre-existing thread? The same goes for "Looking for brake pads & rotors" too.

I'm not sure what to suggest for "I'm thinking of an STR". Apologies to all the other S-Type non "R" owners out there. Which is most of you by a long shot.
I agree with this. I think there should be a sticky titled something like "Everything you need to know about buying a 2.7D, 3.0, 4.0, 4.2 and STR"

Old 07-20-2011, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bacardi 151
I agree with this. I think there should be a sticky titled something like "Everything you need to know about buying a 2.7D, 3.0, 4.0, 4.2 and STR"

There is in the sticky "S Type FAQ"
First
srjuaurds introduction then the very next is what follows: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ype-faq-41364/

Seems thatJon89 has been one of 2 posters to that particular spot of the thread.

S-Type FAQ
Introduction

Hi Everyone,

This is sjuraud and I'm heading up the S-Type FAQ page. This page has been created to help guide members to pertinent information as quickly and easily as possible. Every effort is being made to be precise with this info. I will consider any appropriate contributions or corrections for entry in the S-Type FAQ (but can only include ones deemed by either me or in conjunction with other Admins and Moderators as needed). This section will be in a state of flux for a while until all the links and kinks get worked out. So please bear with me while the page is worked on.

If there are ANY credits that I missed for links included, please let me know. Also if I gave wrong credit to someone or the author wishes to not be linked to, let me know also.

Thanks and enjoy!

• I'm Buying a Used S-Type; What Should I Look For?• General Info & Common Trouble Spots (Jon89)

Seems thatJon89 has been one of 2 posters to thatparticular spot of the thread.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

How about making the very top FAQ: A Tutoriial on Advanced Search Skills?

For example: instead of battery use "replacement battery", notice the use of quotation marks to turn it into a phrase search.

The second one could be:

A Guide to the Magic of Reading the Owners Manual

Old 07-21-2011, 04:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by joycesjag
There is in the sticky "
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ghlight=buying

That one points to a single very recent thread which doesn't contain all that much information but it is a start. I know it's work to build this stuff.

I was just suggesting a consolidation of the battery threads. I have a feeling there a ton of them. Maybe I'm wrong.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:13 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Originally Posted by joycesjag
There is in the sticky "S Type FAQ"
First
srjuaurds introduction then the very next is what follows: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ype-faq-41364/

Seems thatJon89 has been one of 2 posters to that particular spot of the thread.

S-Type FAQ
Introduction

Hi Everyone,

This is sjuraud and I'm heading up the S-Type FAQ page. This page has been created to help guide members to pertinent information as quickly and easily as possible. Every effort is being made to be precise with this info. I will consider any appropriate contributions or corrections for entry in the S-Type FAQ (but can only include ones deemed by either me or in conjunction with other Admins and Moderators as needed). This section will be in a state of flux for a while until all the links and kinks get worked out. So please bear with me while the page is worked on.

If there are ANY credits that I missed for links included, please let me know. Also if I gave wrong credit to someone or the author wishes to not be linked to, let me know also.

Thanks and enjoy!

• I'm Buying a Used S-Type; What Should I Look For?• General Info & Common Trouble Spots (Jon89)

Seems thatJon89 has been one of 2 posters to thatparticular spot of the thread.
Wow!

There's a FAQ section? I'll bet that could be useful!

Old 07-21-2011, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by norri
Wow!

There's a FAQ section? I'll bet that could be useful!

yeah but you better watch out for that member who seems to hog that "area" with all his vague describtions w/pics!

Old 07-21-2011, 08:11 AM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Rick, I think your desribtions are great.

This place doesn't seem so bad to me as far as repetitive subjects. You should check out the MGB forum sometime. About every week it's ...what kind of oil should I use? what kind of tires should I buy? what does you exhaust sound like? and the ever popular silicone brake fluid debate. These typically go at least two pages and then they do it all again.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

The FAQ thread is good, but the it links to other threads that are often not very usuful...

Old 07-21-2011, 12:30 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I've never changed one unless it was obviously necessary in 50 years of driving. Of course, it must fit into the space available, and be of sufficient ampere-hours capacity. I've never had problems with Bosch products. Be sure you have the radio code to hand, it will almost certainly be lost when you disconnect the battery.
Caution:--
Car batteries are quite capable of setting things on fire if there is a short. Do not drop metallic objects across the terminals.
MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE THE POLARITY IS CORRECT. If you get the thing reversed, even for a millisecond, you've no idea the grief it will give you....
Leedsman.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member

Before I did mine I wondered about the radio code too but I never had to do anything. My change time was less than 15 minutes so maybe that's the reason?

I elected to keep my old battery and I use it for the winch on my racing trailer.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks to all. I've been away so I didn't get to this quickly. However, your prompt answers are appreciated.

Quick Reply: Battery replacement