S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best place to buy jag parts

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 11:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default best place to buy jag parts

I need to buy chain tensioners for the secondary chains and one secondary chain, my question is should i change all the tensioners or just two upper ones for the secondary chains? Best place to buy all this besides jag dealer, would you trust ebay with this? where can I get tools to loan to adjust timing. If anybody is willing to loan me them I will only transfer money via Paypal.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:44 AM
Received 221 Likes on 98 Posts

I'm a jag tech and i change only the top two as general maintenance. buy tthem online but buy the factory ones.

YOU SHOULD CHANGE THE BOTTOM ONES TECHNICALLY, but people dont like to hear 2500 instead of 1000 dollars. I make the call looking at the condition of the motor, if the inside of your motor looks like shi* then i call changing the whole things. But this is an opinion. My opinion is based on that the couple that I did (I did about 20 - 30) they were starting to crack according to how the engine looked. People that barely change the oil the tensioner was about to come apart, but I had a customer who changed synthetic oil religiously and the tensioner looked new. Again, I dont understand how this makes a lot of sense since the tensioner is made of composite and what brakes it is constant tension which doesn't change much with lubrication, so I don't want to sound like a liar, but I call it how I see it. If you have skill, change all of them. Best of luck! and visit my blog Jaguar HELP!

The following users liked this post:
Amadauss (03-09-2012)
Old 03-09-2012, 07:45 AM

Oh and BTW, i have the jag tools and, no offense, i would lend you my wife before i lending you my tools lol

Old 03-09-2012, 08:13 AM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

There are countless threads here about changing oil, when, what type and how often. I have been changing my oil every 2000 to 2500 miles using synthetic every time. I firmly believe the car runs better and holds up longer because of it. Your comment daxter about the tensioner and how great they look with synthetic oil changed religiously just confirms to me I am doing the right thing. Thanks

Old 03-09-2012, 08:16 AM
Received 6,361 Likes on 5,534 Posts

Do you have a picture?

Old 03-09-2012, 12:57 PM

next time i take a pair out i ll make sure i take pics and post them here

Amadauss (03-09-2012)
Old 03-09-2012, 09:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Timing Chain Tensioners

I changed my tensioners top and bottom in November/December. THere is a lot to take a part but it is not technically difficult. I would change the heater valve also along with the anti-roll/sway bar bushings (very difficult to get to otherwise). If it is an 01, also change the waterpump, thermostat, the camshaft cover seals (all of them) and the distributor packs (all of them). I have had all of these things fail (the chains didn't actually fail but were of the plastic type so it was a matter of time).

This is for the V-8 4.0 liter.

I rented the tools on-line from Christophers in New Jersey. Search S-Type tools on E-bay. He promptly refunded the deposit as soon as I sent them back.

I bought as many of the parts as I could from Rock Auto - everything else was cheapest (that I could find) from XKS Ltd. in CA. They also have great customer service. I have also bought from Motorcarsltd.com - also very price competitive and great customer service.

There is a great thread on here about changing them with pictures. There is also a good video on You Tube.

Good luck!

Richard LIndsey

JagV8 (03-10-2012)
Old 03-10-2012, 02:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rlindsey
I changed my tensioners top and bottom in November/December. THere is a lot to take a part but it is not technically difficult. I would change the heater valve also along with the anti-roll/sway bar bushings (very difficult to get to otherwise). If it is an 01, also change the waterpump, thermostat, the camshaft cover seals (all of them) and the distributor packs (all of them). I have had all of these things fail (the chains didn't actually fail but were of the plastic type so it was a matter of time).

This is for the V-8 4.0 liter.

I rented the tools on-line from Christophers in New Jersey. Search S-Type tools on E-bay. He promptly refunded the deposit as soon as I sent them back.

I bought as many of the parts as I could from Rock Auto - everything else was cheapest (that I could find) from XKS Ltd. in CA. They also have great customer service. I have also bought from Motorcarsltd.com - also very price competitive and great customer service.

There is a great thread on here about changing them with pictures. There is also a good video on You Tube.

Good luck!

Richard LIndsey
Thanks for the info.
yes it is for 2001 4.0.
Water pump and thermostat and some hoses have been replaced around 2k ago by dealer. The only reasone why i need new chain mine broke when tensioner failed.

has anybody bought anything for www.jaguarmerriamparts.com price wise this site looks better than autorock, valve cover gasket OUTER @ auto rock 56 and @ jaguarmerriamparts 35 thats a big diff.

Last edited by jagstype01; 03-10-2012 at 02:25 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:23 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jagstype01
I need to buy chain tensioners for the secondary chains and one secondary chain, my question is should i change all the tensioners or just two upper ones for the secondary chains? Best place to buy all this besides jag dealer, would you trust ebay with this? where can I get tools to loan to adjust timing. If anybody is willing to loan me them I will only transfer money via Paypal.
Best place to by Jag parts is the dealership where your relative works. If no relative, befriend someone behind the counter. You may have to buy him an ocassional lunch, but a small price to pay for a reduction on genuine jag merchandice. If all else fails you have e-bay.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,717 Likes on 1,216 Posts

No relative at a Jaguar Dealership, Nalley Jaguar in Atlanta (site sponspers) offers a 15% discount to forum members (have to mention that you belong here) and offers free (fast) shipping with orders over $75.00.

Talk about service, they are the best!

Old 03-10-2012, 06:19 AM
Received 6,361 Likes on 5,534 Posts

Originally Posted by daxter1987
Oh and BTW, i have the jag tools and, no offense, i would lend you my wife before i lending you my tools lol
Originally Posted by Norri
Do you have a picture?
Originally Posted by daxter1987
next time i take a pair out i ll make sure i take pics and post them here
It was a picture of your wife that I meant, maybe you did too!

Old 03-12-2012, 11:04 AM

jajaja lol sorry a little slow here

Old 03-12-2012, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by joycesjag
No relative at a Jaguar Dealership, Nalley Jaguar in Atlanta (site sponspers) offers a 15% discount to forum members (have to mention that you belong here) and offers free (fast) shipping with orders over $75.00.

Talk about service, they are the best!
It should be noted that while they give an additional discount to members, the real deal is their everyday prices are already heavily discounted; often half price what other dealers are selling...