S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blank Screen

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 03:46 PM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Blank Screen

I have a 2007 Jag S Type 3.0. Driving home the display screens on the dash went blank. After a minute or two they came back on only to go blank again. Didn't affect the Jag's performance, but very bothersome, especially because I'm planning on a road trip next week.

The only thing different is I was playing a CD for the first time. I don't have a NAV system this is the base model w/o large display. I'm talking about the display windows under the speedometer.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts

Hello Pete,

Hmmm . . . OK, just so we are clear . . . not the two central console display panels . . . we are talking about a blank-out of the 2 "message displays" - each in the lower area of the actual dial faces of tacho and speedo? No other instruments affected? Has the fault reappeared, or are they still blanked out? Like any crazy intermittent, start by checking your battery - whether new or not. See (Battery 101) in the Sticky "HOW TO . . ." to measure standing voltage. Then, check the 2 connectors below the IC (a pain, but doable) . . . see Wiring Diagrams to see how they disconnect, then clean/spray and reconnect.

Finally, check for DTCs, and post all actual codes . . . some really weird intermittent IC faults may be caused by the coolant reservoir level sensor misbehaving . . . but if so, you should see fault codes. IC faults are not unknown (see similar thread recently, either here or in XK8/R forum) but they are most uncommon.

Cheers,

Ken

The following users liked this post:
PapasJag (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 07:16 AM

Thanks Mate, Yeah it's the small displays below speedo & tach. Like I said all was fine until I put the CD in the displays would go blank. Actually random dashes appear. If I turn the car off & restart they returned to proper functioning. Also they would go blank & correct itself & then go blank again.

I'll try your suggestions. By the way is there a reference here to explain the codes? I found the tips & tricks thread & that was helpful.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:13 PM

Go figure?! Well I went out and started the Jag with the CD still in & got a blank display. Then I turned off the Jag rejected the CD, turner the car back on and everything was OK. I put the CD back in and drove around for about an hour. Stopped a couple of times turned everything off and back on again - no problems!

I guess the Jag healed itself. Years ago my son & I restored a TR7 which was notorious for wiring problems. Remember Lucas the "Prince of Darkness"? Anyway hopefully it's sorted itself out.

Old 10-18-2016, 06:47 PM
Received 6,339 Likes on 5,524 Posts

fingers crossed it stays that way.

PapasJag (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 01:34 AM
Veteran Member

Pete, sorry I was not back earlier. Like [Norri] I have all fingers and toes crossed for you.

However, to address your question of finding DTC Summaries, I have unearthed something of a dilemma. Over the years and with help from a variety of folk here on JF (take a bow . . . [Gus], Chris [Thermo] Coleman, Graham [GGG], and many others), I had assembled what I thought was a comprehensive listing of all DTC Summaries across all MY Jaguars.

Alas, I find it is not complete and this affects not only some of the more esoteric DTC Summaries (which your IC intermittent may need) but also, the expansion of the DTC listings to cover all variants (such as my 07 V6 TT Diesel variant). Moreover, I could find no links other than the early S-Type Powertrain DTCs in our Stickys. Further, the OBD-II resource operated by [Gus] at <JagRepair.com> seems to have broken links that I could not bypass.

After many hours of trawling, I am starting a new thread here in the S-Type forum - but it has universal application to ALL JAGUARS built after the mid to late '90s and even into the future. It will be a one stop universal reference by addressing all the following areas -
  • DTCs - what are they?
  • DTCs - how do I find them?
  • DTCs - which apply to my model/year Jaguar?
  • P0+P2+P3 - Generic OBD-II Powertrain DTC listings
  • B0 - Generic OBD-II Body DTCs
  • C0 - Generic OBD-II Chassis DTCs
  • U0 - Generic OBD-II Network DTCs
  • P1 - Jaguar specific OBD-II Powertrain DTCs
  • Jaguar OBD-II Drive Cycle Monitors Step By Step Instructions.
Happily, beyond the intro sections, the hundreds of pages of DTCs can be accessed via the supplied hotlinks. Sooo, maaate . . . for a list of all DTCs, can I refer you to that new thread, once up and running.

Best wishes,

Ken

PapasJag (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 06:49 AM

WOW! You deserve the Order of Garter! Or Jaguar's medal for service to humanity or at least us mechanically handicapped dummies.

I did try hold the trip button which was supposed to display the codes, but nothing happened.

Many thanks Mate for all the hard work!

Old 10-20-2016, 12:02 AM
Veteran Member

Hello again Pete,

For ETM . . . key in ignition, but OFF . . . then press and hold TRIP button while rotating ignition key to ON, but do NOT rotate to start. After maybe 10 seconds, RH message screen announces ETM MODE, then release TRIP button, but do NOT change ignition key position. Now that you are in ETM, press the A/B button to cycle UP or press Mls/Km button to cycle DOWN . . . and amongst large menu of test choices . . . there are 4 of most interest to your reported intermittent fault -
  1. Battery voltage . . . never need to burrow in boot/trunk or under bonnet/hood again;
  2. Ballistic test of all instruments . . . each driven from zero to full scale;
  3. Full illumination test of ALL IC warning lights . . . and finally . . .
  4. DTC listing . . . displaying 3 at a time, horizontally, with each subsequent Mls/Km DOWN press revealing the next 3 DTCs etc.
For DTCs, "-----" indicates no code, so happy face hopes to see "----- ----- -----" on first DTC page, with next page cycling to a new menu option.

For what each DTC means, refer to my "DTC (codes) . . . " thread and the suggestion you download and install JTIS to access the PDFs.
I hope this helps Pete, but I will still keep all fingers and toes crossed for you.

Cheers mate,

Ken

PapasJag (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 02:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

Big warning: those DTCs never get cleared in any car I've met. My codes were there when I got the car over 7 years ago and still are there.

So, of no use at all. Actually, worse than that as you could go chasing a code for something not giving any trouble.

I suspect my DTCs date to a battery fail & change many years ago.

Old 10-20-2016, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member

Hey, that's a new one on me!
So, each of the S-Types I've seen which display the "---- ---- ----" on the ETM screen (and I've just re-checked my own right now) have NEVER thrown a DTC in their life? Just askin' coz I'm so surprised they can't be cleared!

Regards
Ken

Old 10-20-2016, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member

OK . . . just realized confusion in communication. ETM will display stored codes, but they can't be cleared by any internal ETM means. However, they can be cleared by using a simple OBD-II scanner like ELM327.

I suggest that, starting from a known ALL CLEAR start, ETM can provide a quick, effective roadside tool for identifying codes . . . albeit first 2 alpha-numerics of DTCs listed by ETM are displayed in HEX, so a pre-typed translation card is invaluable for poor sods like me who do NOT have 16 fingers!

But then . . . I can't wait for John to post back saying "Why bother with all that fuss and black magic when an ELM327 can be had for less than 20 bucks . . . and you will need it anyway to CLEAR any codes? Moreover, you keep it in the glovebox or centre console cubby so it's available anywhere, anytime."

Y'know what? He'd be right!!!

Cheers,

Ken

Old 10-21-2016, 01:54 AM
Veteran Member

What car did an elm327 clear the ETM codes? I ask because it doesn't clear them in mine. (Which is why I have them 7+ years on.)

PapasJag (10-21-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 07:03 AM

Thanks for all the great advice. Here's a dumb question: How important is it to clear old codes? JagV8 has had them on his Jag for 7 yrs & I'm guessing his Jag is running fine.

Thanks!

Old 10-21-2016, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member

Those are in the IC (instr cluster), and cannot be seen without special software (if any exists?) (or using ETM). Frankly they are a distraction that I wish did not exist since all they do is mislead people.

There's no reason to clear most (Pxxxx) codes, despite what people post, as if the fault is fixed they self-clear (by law). But you can if you must clear them using such as an elm327. A by-product of that, however, is that all the OBD monitors are also cleared - bad for smog tests etc as they need to be set.

PapasJag (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 07:39 AM

Thanks, I'll follow your advice. In my case (mechanically challenged, a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. So like they say "If it ain't broken, don't screw with it!

Old 10-22-2016, 08:20 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,215 Likes on 1,703 Posts

If you go to my page you will find that the links work. If you find any to be a problem please let me know.

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy
Pete, sorry I was not back earlier. Like [Norri] I have all fingers and toes crossed for you.

However, to address your question of finding DTC Summaries, I have unearthed something of a dilemma. Over the years and with help from a variety of folk here on JF (take a bow . . . [Gus], Chris [Thermo] Coleman, Graham [GGG], and many others), I had assembled what I thought was a comprehensive listing of all DTC Summaries across all MY Jaguars.

Alas, I find it is not complete and this affects not only some of the more esoteric DTC Summaries (which your IC intermittent may need) but also, the expansion of the DTC listings to cover all variants (such as my 07 V6 TT Diesel variant). Moreover, I could find no links other than the early S-Type Powertrain DTCs in our Stickys. Further, the OBD-II resource operated by [Gus] at seems to have broken links that I could not bypass.

After many hours of trawling, I am starting a new thread here in the S-Type forum - but it has universal application to ALL JAGUARS built after the mid to late '90s and even into the future. It will be a one stop universal reference by addressing all the following areas -
  • DTCs - what are they?
  • DTCs - how do I find them?
  • DTCs - which apply to my model/year Jaguar?
  • P0+P2+P3 - Generic OBD-II Powertrain DTC listings
  • B0 - Generic OBD-II Body DTCs
  • C0 - Generic OBD-II Chassis DTCs
  • U0 - Generic OBD-II Network DTCs
  • P1 - Jaguar specific OBD-II Powertrain DTCs
  • Jaguar OBD-II Drive Cycle Monitors Step By Step Instructions.
Happily, beyond the intro sections, the hundreds of pages of DTCs can be accessed via the supplied hotlinks. Sooo, maaate . . . for a list of all DTCs, can I refer you to that new thread, once up and running.

Best wishes,

Ken