S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body work on 01 S-Type

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2023, 10:20 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Body work on 01 S-Type

I am sending my 01 S-Type for body works. Is there something that I should do beforehand, or after getting it back, or keep an eye on? Thanks

Old 07-23-2023, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 417 Likes on 305 Posts

Hi Roberto, well, take pictures of all the details, in case they wreck the Jag even more - I don't know, how clumsy they are - maybe they manage to damage the headlights...
I hope you have a fixed price quote.
I was never in that kind of situation, as I fix everything myself, and I would definitely fix that little fender bender myself - in fact, I will soon fix a very similar bender on my latest X-Type, which I bought with that little damage...

Old 07-23-2023, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Peter_of_Australia
Hi Roberto, well, take pictures of all the details, in case they wreck the Jag even more - I don't know, how clumsy they are - maybe they manage to damage the headlights...
I hope you have a fixed price quote.
I was never in that kind of situation, as I fix everything myself, and I would definitely fix that little fender bender myself - in fact, I will soon fix a very similar bender on my latest X-Type, which I bought with that little damage...
thanks, Peter. I will take photos.

Old 07-25-2023, 06:54 AM
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

Have you had a look in the breakers yard, for chrome trim, bumper and wing, in same colour.

May be have a check of the welded in sills, (remove outer covers.) and the rear sub frame, for tin worm.
Don,t know the corrosion rate issues in Aus, but by the sea, damp salt air will also have an impact. (no pun intended)

Also check the wiring behind the bumper, if they remove it, for fretting, and or cable damage.

Old 07-25-2023, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by bydand
Have you had a look in the breakers yard, for chrome trim, bumper and wing, in same colour.

May be have a check of the welded in sills, (remove outer covers.) and the rear sub frame, for tin worm.
Don,t know the corrosion rate issues in Aus, but by the sea, damp salt air will also have an impact. (no pun intended)

Also check the wiring behind the bumper, if they remove it, for fretting, and or cable damage.
Thanks Bydand. Yard is out for swap,. This Seafrost colour is not popular here, but I am checking out for trim. I may have to look over the shoulder of the men when they take the bumper and wing out. Good advice.

Old 07-25-2023, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, I wondered already what you are going to do about the chrome trim.
If a replacement fender from the wreckers has the wrong colour, it can be painted of course.
Same for the bumper.
Is it really so difficult to remove bumper and fender? Is it not an idea to bring the bumper and the fender removed from the car to the painter? Possibly a fender from the wreckers instead?

Old 07-25-2023, 07:19 AM

If a replacement fender from the wreckers has the wrong colour, it can be painted of course.
Same for the bumper.
Is it really so difficult to remove bumper and fender? Is it not an idea to bring the bumper and the fender removed from the car to the painter? Possibly a fender from the wreckers instead?
That is an option, of course. Thanks, Peter

Old 07-25-2023, 07:26 AM

Same for the bumper.
Is it really so difficult to remove bumper and fender?

I would aim for Pain, and be prepared to drill out all the securing screws to the spring locking tabs, for the engine under tray,& inner wing plastic wheel lining. Unless it has been removed fairly recently.

Old 07-25-2023, 07:30 AM

Is it really so difficult to remove bumper and fender?

I would aim for Pain, and be prepared to drill out all the securing screws to the spring locking tabs, for the engine under tray,& inner wing plastic wheel lining. Unless it has been removed fairly recently.
Thanks Bydand. something for me to consider.

Old 07-25-2023, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member

I never drilled out any locking tabs (those plastic clips that is). Most of the time I remove them (with screwdriver as lever) to reuse them again. But if they get damaged, I also have spares...

PS: There is always the option of "pain" (= work) for yourself or paying someone to do exactly that....

Old 07-25-2023, 07:34 AM

I never drilled out any locking tabs (those plastic clips that is). Most of the time I remove them (with screwdriver as lever) to reuse them again. But if they get damaged, I also have spares...

PS: There is always the option of "pain" (= work) for yourself or paying someone to do exactly that....
I got a whole bag of tabs when I got badges from AliEx

Old 07-25-2023, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member

I got tabs of all kinds of sizes - I assume you are aware that there are differences in sizes of those tabs... - Diameter / length / shape

Old 07-25-2023, 07:44 AM

I got tabs of all kinds of sizes - I assume you are aware that there are differences in sizes of those tabs... - Diameter / length / shape
oh yes, Peter. the bag is a collection of all sizes. Although they are mostly for interior use. anyway, supercheap sells them if I need them quick, otherwise, AliEx.

Old 07-25-2023, 07:51 AM
Old 07-25-2023, 08:20 AM

Thanks, I need to order them

Old 07-25-2023, 08:30 AM

The reason, I am harping on about this, Is that if, (more usually when) the under tray M6 bolts are seized in the Spire clips.

Too much excess force, just Rips the plastic bumper/Tray/wheel liner plastic holes.

So if they don't come out easily, drill the head off the bolt screw etc..

Last edited by bydand; 07-25-2023 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Spelling, too many beers.
Old 07-25-2023, 08:34 AM

The reason, I am harping on about this, Is that if, (more usually when) the under tray M6 bolts are seized in the Spire clips.

Too much excess force, just trips the plastic bumper/Tray/wheel liner plastic hole.

So if they don't come out easily, drill the head off the bolt screw etc..
Thanks, bydand. I will get them as I am sure some of them will need to be replaced.