S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boot Latch or Solenoid Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 06:37 PM
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Boot Latch or Solenoid Not Working

Does this sound like a replacement latch is indicated? Upon depressing the release button on the keyfob, the boot latch make a rapid sound like the solenoid is locking/unlockinghowever it does not release.If I pressthe fob while simultaneously pressing and lifting the boot lid button then I canopen the boot.It still makes the rapidlocking/unlocking sound. This is theonly way to open it currently.
And, sometimes it will not latch upon closing and I need to simultaneously press the fob while closing the boot lid. The fuse #59 in the boot fuse box looks fineso I am thinking that the latch mechanism is worn or maladjusted.

Old 04-04-2017, 02:00 AM
Received 133 Likes on 125 Posts

If you scroll to stickies in this section you will be able to download a copy of the JTIS that will help you.
You must have electricity or the steering lock and passengers doors will not be operational as they are on the same fuse.

Old 04-04-2017, 02:38 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a boot latch fail 6 months ago. Trunk would not latch closed.

Once I got a new latch replacement from the dealer I could feel the problem with old vs new latch assy. The defective one sounded and felt like it had internal gear teeth missing (something grinding) in the mechanism while manually cycling the open/closed position with a screwdriver; this after disconnecting from mounting location and cable.

The first new latch lasted 2 whole cycles after installing then failed to latch closed. Smelled burning electronics somewhere in the trunk area and figured it must be the new latch.

Dealer ordered second new latch at no cost and this one has worked fine with no problems for 6 months. Latch cost was approx $102. Not sure part you need is same but mine used P/N XR856390 8C

Happy wrenching!

Old 05-04-2017, 12:45 AM
Red face

Ok so installed a new latch and problem is cured. Upon initial installation new latch did not work. I was bummed so took it out. Decided to exercise it by hand a few cycles then reinstall. And, then it worked!

The following users liked this post:
Datsports (05-04-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Good Job!
Did you lubricate it before you put it back in?

Old 05-07-2017, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Good Job!
Did you lubricate it before you put it back in?
I did not. You thinking the nylon gears need lube?

Old 05-07-2017, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,951 Posts

I treat it the same way as the gas door solenoid. Keep them both greased with white Lithium grease and hopefully you won't have any more problems.

I read about the plastic pin problems on the gas door years ago and started spraying it once in a while. I am still on the factory release pin and the gas door release still works fine.