Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Boot Open" (Trunk Ajar) mesage on IP

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 04:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Boot Open" (Trunk Ajar) mesage on IP

Hello,

I need to ask for some help please, I’m a bit stumped by this. I have an ’02 STR and get the “Boot Open” warning and red light (translates to "Trunk Ajar" on US models). Research shows that this could either be the switch or the wiring from the boot lid. However the switch seems to work fine (i.e. the lamp goes out when I press the switch). I thought maybe the switch wasn’t making contact with the plastic sill cover so I taped some thick card in the area the switch presses against but the message persists.

The switch I’m referring to is the plunger type one to the right of the latch in the boot lid, with a little rubber boot on it. Is there another switch, maybe within the latch, that I should be looking for?

NB, I can’t check the boot light is off with the boot closed as my seats don’t fold down but the car is left for long periods without battery issues, although the battery is only a couple of years old.

Any light you can shed on this would be most appreciated, thanks.

Old 07-07-2016, 04:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 595 Likes on 472 Posts

is the plastic scuff panel fitted across the lower boot shut edge ? it needs that to stike the button .

Old 07-07-2016, 06:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it is, it was this I taped the cardboard to to see if the switch had backed off. I've heard on another forum there is an additional switch in the book latch / lock. Google seems to know nothing of it but I'll take the boot lid trim off tonight and have a look.

Old 07-08-2016, 01:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 595 Likes on 472 Posts

no there is no switch in the boot latch . and if there was your light would not go out when you press the switch button with the boot open !
so this points to a broken wire near the hinge that is opening the loop when the boot closes when it flexes the loom . there are threads on here about this . so have a search around in the search bar or just go ahead and repair the wire that is damaged.

BTW the seats can fold down the pull cables are stuffed behind the boot lining ether side of the boot , as there is a brace pannal fitted to the str that makes it pointless to fold the seats . how ever some str's have a ski option that is a ski bag through the center behind the rear arm rest . but even if there is no ski bag fitted the brace pannal has a hole in the center for this option . so when you fold the seats forward you will be able to see through the center hole and the two side flaps that are there for cabin pressure release .
any way this still won't help with your problem as the boot light turns off after about 10 mins anyways as it was designed .

Last edited by Datsports; 07-08-2016 at 02:05 AM.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Does the 02 have a hostage-escape lanyard? (if so, that'd be your problem.) Give it a yank or two. I only say this as you already have the problem, because that is how it is precipitated on my 03/05's......but also how it is fixed. (sometimes I "forget" and hang my trouble-light from the lanyard T-handle when working in the boot) Bad headwork on 2 counts: it isn't stiff enough for the weight of the light (but only just) causing it to eventually pull the lanyard and fall on me. Later, when all done, I'll have "boot open"(03) or "trunk open"(05) and I'll remember that I forgot to steer clear of the escape lanyard so I go fiddle with it, slam bottlid, then "lather, rinse, repeat" as necessary until it is all set aright.

The following users liked this post:
Slayman2001 (07-11-2016)
Old 07-15-2018, 02:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the 01 have a hostage lease cord ?

Old 07-15-2018, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by willett5555
Does the 01 have a hostage lease cord ?
IDK
But if DobbsToo's 02 does, it likely will, they are of the same vintage. My 03 and 05 have 'em, but that is 1 and 2 refreshes on, respectively. They deleted the fuel door lanyard from the boot of the 05, which is a major PITA, as far as I'm concerned. A) you don't have to skip all the way back round to the opposite side front door to pop the door from the dash if you only occasionally drive it - like only for topping up the petrol, etc....and none of your other cars require you to pop a fuel door from the dash...and B) The 05 is prone to having the pin stick "engaged" and if you are a bit behind on your maintenance, you'll need a partner to hold the switch in while you close the fuel door and release when you tell them. (Children are much better at this than wives) If it had the lanyard, it would be a solo operation!