S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake lights and Tail lights Headache!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the transmission was 3 qtr low- they said the trans oil pan was leaking, they replaced the pan and drained as much oil as they can and replaced oil. They did not say anything about the sleeve so you could be right. Should i check for leak underneath the pan again?

What is the REM? I asked if they can reprogram the transmission control module if there's one and they said if flash it might blow the transmission since it's over 120,000mi. Said it's up to me, then i chickened out.

Want to confirm - for the 03 STR the autolamp sensor is in the dash not in the mirror, i should replace the sensor in the front dash instead of the mirror instead then?

03 STR

Old 09-18-2015, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Yes the sealing sleeve is above the pan on the back side of the transmission. So when it drips it collects on the pan and very much does look like the pan is leaking.

Of course with a plastic pan there have been cases where it was leaking so I would get under the car and just look to see if the pan has any fluid on it. I just wanted to tell you because the sleeve is similar to the DCCV in that just about 100% of them will go bad. It was a factory defect and ZF knows it. The color of the O-rings was changed so you can't mistake the old and new.

The REM - Rear Electronics Module.

The big 3 in the S Type are;
FEM-Front Electronics Module
ECM-Electronic Control Module. Also called the PCM or engine computer.
and the one you replaced the REM.

Yes you have a TCM-Transmission Control Module that is mounted inside the transmission. He is dead wrong and I would definitely get it flashed with the latest software.

Are you aware of the "Lurch"? The latest TCM flash is suppose to help with that.

Yes the sensor is mounted on your black defroster panel up by the windshield. Have you shined a light on it and then covered it up to check if it works?

We don't see this going bad at all so yours is a bit strange and might be in the turn signal stalk too?

Sorry just noticed this but how did they check the transmission fluid level? It's not real easy and MUST be done the right way.

Last edited by tbird6; 09-18-2015 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,526 Likes on 3,936 Posts

The bad wires may well mean the trunk (boot) has had water in it. Remove spare and see if it's dry / has signs of water in the past.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:22 AM

I'll check the pan see if there's any leak again after they replaced it, if so i can assume it's the sleeve and the O-ring.

The REM was swapped from a S type used to the R but not programmed, wondered if that screwed up the rear lights. But there was water leak before too so dealer went underneath the fuses and replaced wires.

Result with plate light and side marker- after he fixed the tail lights the plate and side marker went out. He cut the wires under F44 but did not do the overlay, he corrected it.

Dealer did mention about Lurch, the tranny runs fine now except 1 gear box fault this whole wk, if he's dead wrong or just dont want to flash it i should insist him to do so? Said he correctly checked the tranny oil and it was not easy.

Autolamp on and headlamp on already during day, then I covered the dash solar sensor, nothing. I shined lights to it, headlamp still on. I should replace this sunload sensor 1st before i move on to the autolamp stalk? when i turn the autolamp stalk switches from Off, on, auto, delays, the odometer screen says it was switching accordingly. But the problem is headlamp on the whole time on autolamp.

I added the car type to the user control panel on this forum but it's not automatically showing under each post, is it working?

Last edited by rentzoo; 09-20-2015 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,526 Likes on 3,936 Posts

It's not showing, must be a setting somewhere in User CP.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:17 PM

found it in user profile under "edit signature" instead of "edit profile" + make of car. But it's not showing the "signature"

Last edited by rentzoo; 09-20-2015 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

The REM is a programmed module so not sure how he could just install it?

You can live without the TCM re-flash and who knows you might already have the latest software in it. Won't know until you get the dealer to look at it.

I am not sure but you now have the plate light/side light problem fixed? Bad wiring repair?

Please post the gear box fault code. Should not be any.

Yes replace the sun sensor in the middle of the defrost panel. Then post back what you find out.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:51 AM

Yes the REM was swapped, they had to tap a wire underneath the trunk fuse box (a brown r41 i think) that triggers the parking brake fault... to get all the tail lights to work. Also did an overlay to get the right rear side marker and lisc plate lights to work.

I'm living w/o the TCM re-flash, but it slams into gears driving cold start. But no more gear fault code after topping the trans oil. I remembered that I ran over a high bum very fast and hit the trans oil pan area, which caused the leak. No replacing the ring.

I fixed the door wires but the autolamp still doesnt work. So I'm going to replace the sun sensor in the middle of the defrost panel and wait on the rear view mirror