Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 05:25 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Brake Pads

Hello Folks!!...
Say... does anyone have any experience with EBC RedStuff 3000 ceramics or Akebono Ultra's? I'm toying with the idea of DIY brake pads. I've eyeballed Vance580's video's on YouTube several times and think that I may attempt it. I need to scope it out again though to see where he set his stands after he jacked'er up.

Thanks folks
Fast Freddie

Old 07-26-2011, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

SEARCH There is a ton already out there.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:56 PM

WOW!!....
What was I thinking I was hoping to interact with my peers and be sociable , as well as get an opinion on brake types. But your right... go straight to search and tap dance around trying out different phrases till I get it right.. There is no need bother other members who are contemplating loftier goals. I apologies for getting out of line.

Have a nice day

Fast Freddie

Old 07-26-2011, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

i like the akebono myself........... but thats just me

The following users liked this post:
hafferf (07-26-2011)
Old 07-26-2011, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Here this should help.
Name:  182264_10150407209080029_501675028_17258309_5449553_n.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  53.5 KB

The top and this one are the backs

Name:  181984_10150407208685029_501675028_17258301_4708164_n.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  65.8 KB

These are where to jack and where to place the jackstands for the front.

Name:  168368_10150407208985029_501675028_17258307_6615104_n.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  45.7 KB

Name:  180347_10150407208845029_501675028_17258303_202819_n.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  56.9 KB

The following 2 users liked this post by vance580:
goblue90 (07-27-2011), hafferf (07-26-2011)
Old 07-26-2011, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

Originally Posted by hafferf
WOW!!....
What was I thinking I was hoping to interact with my peers and be sociable , as well as get an opinion on brake types. But your right... go straight to search and tap dance around trying out different phrases till I get it right.. There is no need bother other members who are contemplating loftier goals. I apologies for getting out of line.

Have a nice day

Fast Freddie
You'll learn much by Searching and reading. Being lazy will get you hardly anywhere. And behaving like the above with a highly-regarded forum member is stupid as well as rude.

BTW, we're pretty blunt where I live.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:00 PM

By the way Sir...we're pretty blunt over here in th' Colonies also. I was just trying to socially interact with my peers. Sometimes I just don't have much luck with my searches. It was a simple question from a (I admit) simple person. I was not trying to be "flip" about anything, but I sometimes take chastisement poorly when I'm simply asking for an opinion. I realize that possibly "Over Th' Pond", I would have been expected to Doff my Cap and knuckle my forehead to my betters, but over on this side of th' Creek, we all put our pants on th' same way...one leg at a time. I needn't bow and scrape to anyone. Now if I have offended this gentleman of such high esteem then I will humbly apologies. I did not rant or call him any names, I just said what I felt. Perhaps there needs to be a sticky that says "SEARCH ALL INQUIRIES FIRST!!, THEN ASK QUESTIONS". I do apologies to the Moderators for this foolishness, but I am a working class American that has proudly served my Country as a young United States Marine in South East Asia and I feel that I need not feel second best to anyone. If anyone feels that I need a dressing down then just remember, I've been dressed down by some of the best Marine D I's in the world, and you know what??...I'm still here. Now... again I apologies to the moderators, and I apologies to any esteemed gentlemen out there that I may have offended by my supposed Rudeness.
How Rude!!...
Drive on

Fast Freddie

Old 07-26-2011, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

By the way Sir...we're pretty blunt over here in th' Colonies also. I was just trying to socially interact with my peers. Sometimes I just don't have much luck with my searches. It was a simple question from a (I admit) simple person. I was not trying to be "flip" about anything, but I sometimes take chastisement poorly when I'm simply asking for an opinion. I realize that possibly "Over Th' Pond", I would have been expected to Doff my Cap and knuckle my forehead to my betters, but over on this side of th' Creek, we all put our pants on th' same way...one leg at a time. I needn't bow and scrape to anyone. Now if I have offended this gentleman of such high esteem then I will humbly apologies. I did not rant or call him any names, I just said what I felt. Perhaps there needs to be a sticky that says "SEARCH ALL INQUIRIES FIRST!!, THEN ASK QUESTIONS". I do apologies to the Moderators for this foolishness, but I am a working class American that has proudly served my Country as a young United States Marine in South East Asia and I feel that I need not feel second best to anyone. If anyone feels that I need a dressing down then just remember, I've been dressed down by some of the best Marine D I's in the world, and you know what??...I'm still here. Now... again I apologies to the moderators, and I apologies to any esteemed gentlemen out there that I may have offended by my supposed Rudeness.
How Rude!!...
Drive on

Fast Freddie
At 162 posts you are not new to the forum.

Therefore, you ought to already know from other posts that searching is highly recommended. It is a fact that not every piece of information available on every topic on every repeat will be repeated in any particular post.

In fact, you can bet your bottom dollar that if a post is viewed as being poorly researched, the answers will not be as complete. The most experienced and knowledgable members here are not about to constantly repeat what they have already posted multiple times already. They know it already exists and can be found.

It is also true that on highly contentious topics like "what oil", the really knowledgable have made their viewpoints known, fought with the unwashed and will not get into further bunfights on such hot button topics. Not searching means that someone can miss valuable information.

You are quite right, you are not second best to anyone ... but neither are you any better.

BTW, "akebono" and "redstuff" are quite unique terms and would have brought up a ton of results.

akebono = 186 results
redstuff = 140 results
akebono + redstuff = 15 results

The prime benefit of search is that the answer can be obtained immediately instead of waiting for someone else to stumble along and decide to answer.

It also has the benefit of preparing the reader to ask the key questions that have not been addressed fully in previous threads.

++

Last edited by plums; 07-26-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:35 PM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I was gonna ask about pads that don't dust badly. Seems a trip around the block and the frt wheels are coated again. Anyway, glad I didn't.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member

So you're lazy.

It's not like there aren't a bunch of threads on here from the last year with wonderful stuff in them. Noooooo, you need one just for yourself.
If you'd said I've looked these threads over and I have a couple further questions that would be one thing but you didn't.

Oh I should have guessed when you open up with a dancing banana ...

What you say we just forget about this and you do some searching and post your followup questions here. Deal?

WOW!!....

Have a nice day

Fast Freddie

Last edited by Staatsof; 07-26-2011 at 06:41 PM.
hafferf (07-26-2011)
Old 07-26-2011, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodyman
I was gonna ask about pads that don't dust badly. Seems a trip around the block and the frt wheels are coated again. Anyway, glad I didn't.
seriously, i have never seen pads like the Akebono in my life..........i swear to to whatever anyone bows down to in their life............ANYWAY, i will run akebono and i will tell others about the Akebono until im blue in the face. It is that remarkable.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bodyman
It all depends on how you "couch" your questions ...

That's covered in threads as well.

Here's what I will add. I went with the Akebonos, super cleaned/repaired my wheels and waxed them real well - 2 coats. OMG what a difference. Cleaning them is so easy now and they don't get dirty looking right away.

Last edited by Staatsof; 07-27-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:02 PM

OK...I surrender (and whats wrong with my dancing banana?) So that I won't offend the more genteel members among us, I'll curb my use smilies. And I doff my cap and tug my forelock in respect...and in all humility (at least as much as I have) I beg pardon for my transgressions. I don't feel I'm better than anyone else, quite the contrary, but I've never cared much for being poked with a stick. I shall forthwith, peruse the "Search" like the "Good Book" and leave the 3rd grade antics to those in the 3rd grade.
Members of the forum...I beg Pardon...
Mr. Staatsof.... I have been properly chastised...

Respectfully

Fast Freddie

Old 07-26-2011, 09:07 PM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks for the tip Jason. I'll make a note.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:38 AM
Veteran Member

The dancing banana line was a joke as I thought the thread needed some levity to end this tone. So much for that idea.

Now that you mention it, less animation / emoticons is probably a good idea. My initial reaction was to grab for the can of Raid as I thought insects had invaded my monitor ... They probably are used a bit too much by all of us but with as many as you have used they lose all their dramatic effect as well.

The second post of this thread was not at all critical nor could it be categorized as a "poke with a stick". It was a tersely worded suggestion.Your second post is when this unfortunate mess began. It ticked you off. Fine.

This current post of yours appears to me to be seething with resentment and dripping with sarcasm irrespective of the thanking me for my previous post and your "respectful" sign-off.

It was probably going to engender a reply from someone on here so it might as well be me - Dr. Evil.

I suggest cooling off and if you feel you must post further on this issue NOW then write it up, wait a couple days, review it and see if you feel any differently.

Honestly, I think we all just want this to go away and it will be completely forgotten in a couple of weeks.

Bob S.

OK...I surrender (and whats wrong with my dancing banana?) So that I won't offend the more genteel members among us, I'll curb my use smilies. And I doff my cap and tug my forelock in respect...and in all humility (at least as much as I have) I beg pardon for my transgressions. I don't feel I'm better than anyone else, quite the contrary, but I've never cared much for being poked with a stick. I shall forthwith, peruse the "Search" like the "Good Book" and leave the 3rd grade antics to those in the 3rd grade.
Members of the forum...I beg Pardon...
Mr. Staatsof.... I have been properly chastised...

Respectfully

Fast Freddie

Old 07-27-2011, 11:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always figured everyone was cranky because they own a Jaguar (or two).

Old 07-27-2011, 12:52 PM

[This current post of yours appears to me to be seething with resentment and dripping with sarcasm irrespective of the thanking me for my previous post and your "respectful" sign-off.]

Bob S.
See what you will, my apology is sincere. I've found that our current feelings often color our perception of external input. So possibly we both need take off our pack and set a spell. At any rate, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. Next time I take offence at a post, I'll immediately run outside and kick my lawnmower, and keep my comments to myself.
And as Kojak used to say..."Who Love Ya Baby!!..."

Fred

Old 07-27-2011, 02:23 PM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Getting this back on track, I just ordered Akebono Euro Ultra-premium brake pads and centric premium rotors for my '00 Stype 4.0 Sport. I'll give my review after I install them in a few weeks.

hafferf (07-27-2011)
Old 07-31-2011, 09:43 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Red Stuff FTW. Fantastic pads, just put them on. I cannot compare to Akebonos, but they are night and day from stocks with little or no dust. Dont worry man, I'm also too lazy to search.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,624 Likes on 874 Posts

Hi
We recently started a Brake Dust thread in the XJ8 & XJR section of the forum.
Some of the posts in that thread give brake pad and rotor disk brand comparisons including Tire Rack Rating (on stopping power,low noise,low dust) comparing Brake pads for Hawk and Akobono:

Here is the weblink to the forum's thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...ke-dust-58079/

Here is the weblink to Tire Rack Brake Pads and Shoes Ratings:

Tire Rack : Pads/Shoes

Jim Lombardi