S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pads more options avalible

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 05:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pads more options avalible

Well after my disapointment with the aftermarket Akebono Euro Ceramic Pads I was looking around and found that... guess what.... the Viper srt10 / Ferrari F40 / F50, Nissan GR-T ( Rear ) / Volvo S60 use the same front brake caliper as our STR / XKR / XJR <05 with Brembo's..
Rear pads same as Caddilac CTS-V / Camaro / STR8 /

So I ordered some street / track pads today should have them next week
'ill post some pics of the install.

Now if someone made a 2 piece disk brake rotor i would be so happy.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2 piece rotors

Originally Posted by 05STR
Well after my disapointment with the aftermarket Akebono Euro Ceramic Pads I was looking around and found that... guess what.... the Viper srt10 / Ferrari F40 / F50, Nissan GR-T ( Rear ) / Volvo S60 use the same front brake caliper as our STR / XKR / XJR <05 with Brembo's..

Hi thanks for the info Im just changing all rotors and pads I had a quote for two piece AP rotors Full floaters worked out at £850 so maybe next time

Old 02-13-2011, 11:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

.....Hey buddy, may I ask what you did not like about the Akebono pads? I have them on my 03' and they work very nicely, and plus my wheels are clean 99% of time of brake dust or what not. Please let us know what you dont' like about them, im curious.
Cheers!

Last edited by jag79; 02-14-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by jag79
.....Hey buddy, may I ask what you did not like about the Akebono pads? I have them on my 03' and they work very nicely, and plus my wheels are clean 99% of time, no brake dust or what not. Please let us know what you dont' like about them, im curious.
Cheers!
Same question for me.

I switched to the Akebono pads with about 15K miles on my car. I didn't even have to turn the rotors.

The stock pads left the wheels an impossible mess to clean 100% of the time. Worst I've ever experienced on a car. They did appear to grab like hell though. So much so that brake modulation at lower speeds was a total PITA.

The car now drives decently in every day traffic. I guess we'd have to do measured testing to find out if any significant amount of stopping power has been lost?

I don't drive the car at even 8/10ths so maybe if I took it on the track I'd find some issues with these pads. Probably other things as well. It weighs 4,000 lbs so it's hardly my choice for a track duty.

Why do you want a 2 piece rotor? Floating or fixed?

Bob S.

Last edited by Staatsof; 02-14-2011 at 03:47 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Arent 2 pieces just lighter. Now really sure of any other benefit. But if they are light enough at all 4 corner may give you a little more ooofphh.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jag79
.....Hey buddy, may I ask what you did not like about the Akebono pads? I have them on my 03' and they work very nicely, and plus my wheels are clean 99% of time, no brake dust or what not. Please let us know what you dont' like about them, im curious.
Cheers!
Originally Posted by Staatsof
Same question for me.

I switched to the Akebono pads with about 15K miles on my car. I didn't even have to turn the rotors.

The stock pads left the wheels an impossible mess to clean 100% of the time. Worst I've ever experienced on a car. They did appear to grab like hell though. So much so that brake modulation at lower speeds was a total PITA.

The car now drives decently in every day traffic. I guess we'd have to do measured testing to find out if any significant amount of stopping power has been lost?

I don't drive the car at even 8/10ths so maybe if I took it on the track I'd find some issues with these pads. Probably other things as well. It weighs 4,000 lbs so it's hardly my choice for a track duty.

Why do you want a 2 piece rotor? Floating or fixed?

Bob S.
I too had the same question. I ran them on my 745 and I loved them. As soon as these stock pads run out, I'm running out to get some! From my experience, some folks get used to the electric assist, which is where the grabbing comes from, and think after switching that they loose braking power which is really not the case. The Akebono actually gives the driver that touch feel back especially if you know how to thresh hold brake.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by vance580
Arent 2 pieces just lighter. Now really sure of any other benefit. But if they are light enough at all 4 corner may give you a little more ooofphh.
If they're floating it's really a race setup which in the foul weather we've had this winter would not work very well. That salt would just kill a setup like that.
It reduces heat transfer from the red hot rotor to the wheel bearings. Lighter is always better for response. Even a couple of lbs per wheel can be felt on a race car.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,348 Likes on 1,849 Posts

I also like the Akebono pads on my 2005 STR. One of the best things I did!! Killed the brake dust and they seem to stop fine for me. But post back so we can get more information.