Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake parts for 03-05 R

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Brake parts for 03-05 R

So I've looked through the threads and and I don't find any compelling information for a stock set of replacements. Maybe I missed the right thread?

I have more than a few high performance vehicles as well as a full blown race car so I'm pretty familiar with the Brembo racing stuff and what works in extreme conditions but this car does not fall into that category.

I don't want dimpled (have no idea what that does except empty your wallet) and certainly not cross drilled (nightmare alley) maybe slotted is about as far as I'd go. High quality plain rotors (Brembo makes very good stuff) would be fine. Searching the websites for fitment seems so full of errors for these cars. I've seen EBC rotors listed as one size fits all models, right ... so it's clear to me that there are a lot of charleton parts places out there. I've also seen a lot of confusion on this forum about the size of these rotors.

It's hard to understand a manufacturer that would go to the trouble of making a replacement and not make it identical in size and appearence unless there's a slight modification in size that allows it to fit multiple cars?

Anyone know anything about this as being the reason for some size confusion in the aftermaket rotosr?

I've utilized EBC Greens on a car that I have occaisionally tracked and they were an OK balance of a little bit better pad but still appropriate for the street. I see that some people have tried their Red pads but I thought those were more hi performance track oriented and thus required warm-up to reach proper operating levels but I haven't tried those? I sure don't want to be caught on a cold damp night with sub-par brakes in an emergency situation.

OEM pads are designed to be effective immeadiately and as such they make more dust. I also don't want terribly agressive pads that chew up the rotor. This is not a race car and as someone on here already pointed out, this car has great brakes in stock configuration so unless you're taking it to the track why f*ck with it?

I'd be inclined to get the original Brembo rotors if there's a good Jag parts dealer offing discounts and then some decent street aftermaket pads.

Has anyone gone through a full brake service life with any of the aftermarket stuff as yet?

Thanks.

I just noticed from one of the gallery photos here from someone who has replaced his rotors and pads that the Brembo pads had Textar written all over them. Their database shows 23489012 Front and 2138102 Rear for the 2003 R model.

This link shows some direct fit Textar pads but not those part numbers.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/pa...wd=textar+pads

Last edited by Staatsof; 07-05-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Do all 03-05 STR's come with Brembos?

Old 07-05-2010, 10:55 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i bought some aftermarket front rotors and pads off of brakeperformance for a good price. slotted and dimpled. when i decide to sell i'll probably turn the stock rotors and put them back on. i'd like to see how my brake performance is affected with this new combo once i put them on. i'll report back.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:59 AM
ccc
Received 61 Likes on 14 Posts

Online database for the R is pretty bad and several models are confused for the R. If you give Autowarehouse a call, they can tell you if there really is a rotor that fits as well as which pads. A while back, the only replacement was factory (very expensive) and recently there may be a few choices. There is a jaguar dealer in Las Vegas area that has decent price (search Jagaur & Porsche parts).

I have used the EBC reds, seems to perform like the OEM. No issue with low temp stoping but I live in southern california. I have akebonnos on the front now and for driving around town, the seem fine (read this as not tested for repeated high-speed stops). The reds in the back generate more dust then the akebonno on the front. I was concerned about the rotor wear and after measuring the rotor wear rate (microns per mile) with calipers, the red was better on the rotor then OEM (data was posted somewhere on the forum).

Compared to other sports cars and sedans that I have owned, the brembo implementation on the jaguar has a very non-linear feel and tends to be difficult to modulate...in general, it believe it lacks the precision feel you get in other sports cars/sedans. I was hoping pads could cure this but the problem seems to be elsewhere. This and the fact that you can't hide the 4000lb in corners relgated the STR as a fun/comfortable commute to work and secondary weekend car that has a decent power to weight ratio. In that role, the akebonnos and the EBC reds worked fine compared to the OEM pads.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ccc
Compared to other sports cars and sedans that I have owned, the brembo implementation on the jaguar has a very non-linear feel and tends to be difficult to modulate...in general, it believe it lacks the precision feel you get in other sports cars/sedans. I was hoping pads could cure this but the problem seems to be elsewhere. This and the fact that you can't hide the 4000lb in corners relgated the STR as a fun/comfortable commute to work and secondary weekend car that has a decent power to weight ratio. In that role, the akebonnos and the EBC reds worked fine compared to the OEM pads.
That was my impression as well when I drove my first 06 STR but that one wasn't as well taken care of compared to the second one I drove and it seemed less touchy. There was no tranny lurch on the second car either. But I think it's the master brake cylinder tuning that's at work here. I frankly don't get why they set it up this way. I haven't really driven enough of these yet to know for sure but thanks for the input. I haven't driven an 03-05 model with the Brembos as yet. Maybe they're a little different feeling?

If you search based on Centric (they market the Textar) pads you also see that they seem to offer rotors in what might be the correct diameters?

Here's one: http://store.zeckhausen.com/catalog/...f4ca93d6946aa6

Bob S.

Last edited by Staatsof; 07-05-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:06 PM
ccc
Received 61 Likes on 14 Posts

According to JTIS, the Brembo rotors at 365mm x 32mm so it looks right.

Good to know there are aftermarket options now, I spend $450 for OEM replacements so $300 Centric is expensive but moving in the right direction.

I don't know why they feel that way, I was thinking there is too much power assist, it could be the master cylinder tuning, and another forum member made steel pistons for the calipers...hopefully somebody comes up with a fix

Old 07-05-2010, 11:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Akebonnos FTW! Advance auto parts.....Under 200 bucks for front and rear for my 03 STR......and like no brake dust!!!!

Old 07-06-2010, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member

As I understand the stability control on this car it uses the brakes to effect the chassis control and since there's not a limited slip diff on this car it's needed more in the rear. So maybe that has something to do with how the system is tuned? I suspect that trying to change this on a car this complex is no job for back yard mechanics. I haven't looked into the details on this car but I expect that it has electronic brake force distribution as well.

Bob S.

Originally Posted by ccc
According to JTIS, the Brembo rotors at 365mm x 32mm so it looks right.

Good to know there are aftermarket options now, I spend $450 for OEM replacements so $300 Centric is expensive but moving in the right direction.

I don't know why they feel that way, I was thinking there is too much power assist, it could be the master cylinder tuning, and another forum member made steel pistons for the calipers...hopefully somebody comes up with a fix