S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Questions - '06 STR

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 09:56 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Brake Questions - '06 STR

I've spent the last two hours searching the threads and I've been unable to find answers to a few brake questions.

I have a '06 STR with 40K miles. About 2K mile ago the dealer told me my brakes were fine. This week he said I needed new brakes and rotors ($1,800). He also said that even if I had someone else do the brake job, that I needed to buy the pads from him or I would get a traction control system fault because aftermarket pads aren't the right size.

These are my questions:

1) I have been looking at installing Akebono pads and Centrics rotors. I found one thread that said the Akebono Rep said they didn't make them for the newer STRs (2006+). Is that still true?

2) Is my dealer "fibbing" when he tells me that aftermarket pads will throw an error code on my traction control?

3) I find it hard to believe that I went through all of my pads and rotors in 2K miles of light commuting. Can I verify the rotor and/or pad status without pulling a wheel? If so, what should I look for?

4) Would you replace your parking brake pads at the same time?

5) Personal preference for the best place to buy the parts?

6) Sorry, forgot to ask if I have the Brembo calipers?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Craig

Last edited by cacloss; 09-20-2011 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Forgot to ask the brembo question.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:42 AM
Received 161 Likes on 56 Posts

1- red stuff pads for your model/year Big fan personally, and very little if no dust.
2- never heard of that. As long as the company say they fit, they should fit, if not sue the company. lol
3- I'm sure your pads were worn 2k miles ago, but still had life left. If brand new 2k miles ago then you have real issues
4- Yes, why not? You’re in their already.
5- To each their own. I'm a big bargain shopper, I search and search till I'm sure I have best price/quality combo. eBay is you friend here most times.

Edit: Sry, I forgot about your rotor question...

You can check them by running your fingers over them. If they are gouged, replace. But to be sure, even if they appear fine, check measurements to see if they are still in limits. I’m sure you can have them turned too, but I remember reading something on here about not being able to turn them? I’m sure someone will chime in. As far as checking your brake pads, you should be able to poke around a visually check them, or have a friend that knows what he’s looking for check them. You can see the pad.

Last edited by SchultzLD; 09-20-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:33 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by cacloss
I've spent the last two hours searching the threads and I've been unable to find answers to a few brake questions.

I have a '06 STR with 40K miles. About 2K mile ago the dealer told me my brakes were fine. This week he said I needed new brakes and rotors ($1,800). He also said that even if I had someone else do the brake job, that I needed to buy the pads from him or I would get a traction control system fault because aftermarket pads aren't the right size.

These are my questions:

1) I have been looking at installing Akebono pads and Centrics rotors. I found one thread that said the Akebono Rep said they didn't make them for the newer STRs (2006+). Is that still true?

2) Is my dealer "fibbing" when he tells me that aftermarket pads will throw an error code on my traction control?

3) I find it hard to believe that I went through all of my pads and rotors in 2K miles of light commuting. Can I verify the rotor and/or pad status without pulling a wheel? If so, what should I look for?

4) Would you replace your parking brake pads at the same time?

5) Personal preference for the best place to buy the parts?

6) Sorry, forgot to ask if I have the Brembo calipers?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Craig
1. The rep told me they didn't make them for the 06-08 STR due to the low numbers and retooling cost.
I bought centrics pads from Rock Auto for about $75.00 total all four wheels. Great pads little dust.
No error code when I did mine.
No extra set of parking brake pads on the 06 another reason to love the later year car.
Unless you get a shimmy when braking, but also measure the thickness of your rotors they still might be ok. I am on my third set of pads at 60,000miles and original rotors. I changed the last set long before they were do. Bought em so I just changed them.
No Brembos, make sure you have your VIN when ordering because ALL the parts places have this wrong.They think all the STR's have the same brakes. You will have to talk to someone on the phone,don't order online it will all be wrong.

Last edited by MyBlackCat; 09-20-2011 at 02:35 PM. Reason: more info
Old 09-20-2011, 02:49 PM

I agree with Black Cat, Rock Auto or Car Parts Warehouse is a good place for Centric Rotors and Pads. They can give a set of 4 for 400 dollars and you can look on the net for coupons to have them discounted. At 400 this package had ceramic pads with Drilled and slotted rotors for high performance cars like the STR.

hope this helps.

Matt

Old 09-21-2011, 12:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brake pads screwing up your traction control? really? The pads wont fit in the cage if there the wrong size..... and..... As far as I know the traction control and abs sensors are usually in/on the wheel bearing hub(not the brakes or caliper). Im pretty sure id be finding a different dealer. Thats just shady and 4 times more then a brake job should cost you (Mind you I do my own work most of the time), but thats still outrageous.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

The only other thing to add - it is difficult to accurately assess the inner pad without pulling the wheel. I'd go ahead and pull the wheel and pull the pads for a comprehensive check. Rotor can also be checked with a straight-edge for warping.

All this can be done easily with a few hand tools, jack/stands, and a half hour in the garage. Be safe....

Old 09-23-2011, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Check rotor thickness is above the minimum, else replace. (I don't know the min for your year, sorry.)

I think it's true that if you have separate rear hand brake pads then you do have Brembos. I doubt you have separate h.brake pads!

What you were told about the pads isn't true. Shame on the dealer.

Pull all 4 wheels at every service or more often. Check pads, rotors and examine evey part of the tires. Look at everything that's now accessible (suspension, ABS wiring, brake pipes, whatever). I've found various problems doing this over the years and it's not much work.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:38 AM

After a visual inspection of the rotors and pads, I determined they all needed replacing. I decided to go with Redstuff all the way around and Centric Premium rotors. Thanks for your input folks!

While under the car I determined it's about time to look at replacing the rubber. There is a special at Tire Kingdom where you get a BOGO on several brands, including Sumitomo, which I plan to purchase. You have to purchase premium installation (with road service) and 1-Year Alignment, but the total still ends up around the price of the Tire Rack before installation... seems like a good deal!

Anyway, Is there any reason to wait and do the alignment and tires AFTER the brake/rotor installation? Will one affect the other?

Thanks for your input!

Old 10-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Hi Cacloss - no there is no reason to wait until after the brakes are done. You can do the tires and alignment before or after, doesn't matter as there is no impact on the alignment when replacing rotors/pads.

If I were you, just thinking it through, I would probably do the brakes after the alignment and tires, if only because I want to make sure that the torque values on the lugnuts are correct myself before too much driving is done. Shops have a habit of smoking the lugs on.

But really, either way is fine.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Do some searching before getting the alignment. A lot of errors in what's out there. Try to look up posts by Brutal on alignment. He gives the correct specs and some hints on how to do it properly.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

+1. The default alignment tends to be wrong