S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which brand and type of water pump is best, metal or composite?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2021 | 04:52 PM
|
Default Which brand and type of water pump is best, metal or composite?

With all the options, I'm confused. Which type of water pump is the best, with a composite or metal impeller? Any feedback on which brands are the best would be help full too. What to torque the water pump bolts to would be helpful also. Are aftermarket pumps and gaskets torqued the same as genuine Jaguar ones? Of course my water pump started leaking less than a week after pulling the fan and everything to replace the radiator. By the way, the Nissens radiator I got seems very good, as is the Rein expansion tank which is made of thicker material than my old one.

Old 10-15-2021 | 07:49 PM
Veteran Member

airtex is the same as jaguar oe. the $20 oaw pump on amazon is good too

the water pump takes like 10 minutes to replace

Old 10-18-2021 | 03:52 PM
|

Thanks for the feedback Xalty, I noticed that the Airtex water pump comes with a gasket, but not an O ring. Does the Airtex pump not need one?
If you have an extra ten minutes, it would be great, come on over and replace it for me.
Seriously, looking back on when I recently changed the radiator, I guess that it's a good practice to replace the water pump at the same time when everything is wide open. It's too bad that the thought didn't occur to me at the time. Even if not leaking, the water pump is 15 to 20 years old on an S Type, a good time to replace, like many people do when changing a timing belt. Maybe others can save themselves some trouble in the future by doing this.

Old 10-18-2021 | 03:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Catmobile
Thanks for the feedback Xalty, I noticed that the Airtex water pump comes with a gasket, but not an O ring. Does the Airtex pump not need one?
If you have an extra ten minutes, it would be great, come on over and replace it for me.
Seriously, looking back on when I recently changed the radiator, I guess that it's a good practice to replace the water pump at the same time when everything is wide open. It's too bad that the thought didn't occur to me at the time. Even if not leaking, the water pump is 15 to 20 years old on an S Type, a good time to replace, like many people do when changing a timing belt. Maybe others can save themselves some trouble in the future by doing this.
the 1 piece plastic lip with o ring and metal gasket design has been gone for 10 years

they’re now 2 piece with a fiber gasket, no o-ring

Old 10-18-2021 | 04:01 PM
|

What do you mean by two piece? You have to assemble the water pump?

Old 10-18-2021 | 04:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Catmobile
What do you mean by two piece? You have to assemble the water pump?
the pump is made of two pieces bolted together

see the two shiny bolts on the side of the new one

Old 11-08-2021 | 04:09 PM
|

I'm wondering if anyone knows the torque specs for the water pump bolts. In the manual it says 10Nm or 7ft lbs + 90 degrees, it seems like too much especially since the original one came with a rubber gasket which takes more to compress than the paper gasket the new Airtex one has. Is there a straight torque number that works or is it best to add 45 degrees to the 7ft lbs? Any feedback would be great.
ONE MORE THING, IF YOU EVER HAVE TO REPLACE THE RADIATOR, CHANGE THE WATER PUMP TOO, UNLESS IT'S PRETTY NEW, WHEN YOU REMOVE EVERYTHING AND HAVE THE FRONT OF THE MOTOR WIDE OPEN.
My water pump started leaking less than a week after I changed out the radiator, I'm so mad at myself for not doing it then, I've been putting it off. I'm finally sick of driving my gas hog F250 all the time, so I'm going to do it this week. Oh well, at least removing the fan and shroud will be easier second time around. I'm not going to mess with anything when it's in the way.