S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Rod

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 06:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi George, yes I have full power to everything. I believe (again I know very little about car mechanics so my brother-in-law has been helping me out a little) the dealer told him that they couldnt get the engine to spin forward at all. I am not exactly certain on the terms they used by I will check with him.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by noodlearm
Hi George, yes I have full power to everything. I believe (again I know very little about car mechanics so my brother-in-law has been helping me out a little) the dealer told him that they couldnt get the engine to spin forward at all. I am not exactly certain on the terms they used by I will check with him.
All kidding aside. Go somewhere else and get another opinion. You'd probably do it for a medical situation, this is no different.

Keep your spirits up and the best of luck to you.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by noodlearm
Rods don't crack with no outward indication. You don't park your car at night with it perfectly and come out in the morning to a seized motor. It's a catastrophic failure.

Have someone else have a look at it. Does the starter even attempt to engage?

(I'm assuming you don't have the car in your possession at the moment and you don't have tools to test it by your disclaimer of not being mechanical in nature).

Take care and keep us posted.

George

Old 01-31-2011, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

noodlearm, George could'nt have laid it out clearer...it your STR ran smooth and quiet before shuttin her down the night before then look elsewhere besides engine failure. Mind you that an STR can consume a quart of oil every 4k miles.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bfsgross
noodlearm, George could'nt have laid it out clearer...it your STR ran smooth and quiet before shuttin her down the night before then look elsewhere besides engine failure. Mind you that an STR can consume a quart of oil every 4k miles.
Really? Must be the oil feed into the supercharger. They don't smoke or leak, and they can get trough emissions so they aren't burning it or fouling out plugs.

What's the oil capacity on an STR anyway?

I still think he would have had a motor that sounded like a diesel tractor on a cold day, and would have gotten oil pressure warnings etc if the motor was starved for oil.

Oil starvation also tends to spin bearings or score cranks before it breaks rods.

Breaking rods is usually due to leaning out... Both of the times I broke a rod in my IROC were on the spray.

Take care,

George

Old 01-31-2011, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

My STR takes just shy of 7.5 quarts. I think the supercharger has its own oil and doesnt run off the oil from the engine. I think there was a post about how to change it a few months ago.
You would have alot of warning that you were starving it of oil. Like everyone said you would hear something is not right if you were running it with no oil or have blown a rod.

Last edited by vance580; 01-31-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by vance580
My STR takes just shy of 7.5 quarts. I think the supercharger has its own oil and doesnt run off the oil from the engine. I think there was a post about how to change it a few months ago.
You would have alot of warning that you were starving it of oil. Like everyone said you would hear something is not right if you were running it with no oil or have blown a rod.
Oh so it's like a paxton supercharger.. Gotcha.

Yeah I know starving it for oil wouldn't be pretty or unnoticed. I'm just speculating as to where the oil goes as per BFG's post. I had a Mercedes a while back that would eat a quart of oil in 1k miles, had bad valve guide seals, but it never smoked or failed an emissions test.

Take care,

George

Old 01-31-2011, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by androulakis
Oh so it's like a paxton supercharger.. Gotcha.

Yeah I know starving it for oil wouldn't be pretty or unnoticed. I'm just speculating as to where the oil goes as per BFG's post. I had a Mercedes a while back that would eat a quart of oil in 1k miles, had bad valve guide seals, but it never smoked or failed an emissions test.

Take care,

George
I guess it depends on the engine. Mine only burns up about .5 qt between oil changes which I change it around 5-6000 miles. I never have had smoke or failed emissions. I also always let the car warm up before it leaves its parking spot which probably helps some. Probably depends on temp and how hard you get on it. When it was hotter out and I was on it more it did burn a little more. Now that its colder I drive it pretty easy.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

Over here we're told NOT to warm cars up that way (well, 10-30 secs but they're not warm by then!).

Old 02-01-2011, 06:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagv8
Over here we're told NOT to warm cars up that way (well, 10-30 secs but they're not warm by then!).
I always thought that was good for it. I usually start up the car to get the inside temp to a comfortable level while I take the dog out, then just hop in and go. So it usually gets about a 5 minute warm up before I leave anywhere. If thats not good I'll have to stop doing it. Now that I have a garage it isnt a big deal like it was before.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

My STR burns only a little oil too. Some here have expressed concern when learning their 4.2 was down a quart or so when oil was dropped for a swap. My 2nd hand 98 Mustang Cobra (previous owner raced it at Lime Rock, CT.) burnt a quart every 3k. I didn't feel this was normal so elected to sell her.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:16 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Are you sure you have oil in the car? When was it last changed, who did it and what oil did they use. It sounds more like it is seized.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my last oil change at 100k and am currently at 104K, have always had the changes done at the dealership with the recommended oil. I don't think the issue is with the oil, no light ever came on and I never saw any leaking in my driveway or were it broke down. Like I mentioned, I do plan to take it someplace else to have it checked out. I will keep you all updated, and thanks for the help.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Keep in mind that the light is not an oil level indicator, it is pressure only. The oil level indicators came out on Jags I think 2010 on one or two models I think. When it would not start did it sound like the starter engaged but the engine would not turnover?

Old 02-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bfsgross
My STR burns only a little oil too. Some here have expressed concern when learning their 4.2 was down a quart or so when oil was dropped for a swap. My 2nd hand 98 Mustang Cobra (previous owner raced it at Lime Rock, CT.) burnt a quart every 3k. I didn't feel this was normal so elected to sell her.
Yea I think I've pin pointed my oil loss to the crappy oil filter that I used. I ended up getting a Purolator PureONE which is supposed to be there high end oil filter. Its also the only kind I can get locally. Well the seal on them doesnt seat when you have the filter all the way tightend so it has a very very minimal drip so not gonna use there crappy filters anymore. Probably gonna try someone else since now I will have to order it online now.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Yes the super charger oil is separate from the engine oil. Change it around 60K miles or so. You can use Ford or GM oil or even Turbine oil.

It's NOT a Paxton it's an Eaton super charger. M112 which means the supercharger has a capacity of 112 cubic inches.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tbird6
Yes the super charger oil is separate from the engine oil. Change it around 60K miles or so. You can use Ford or GM oil or even Turbine oil.

It's NOT a Paxton it's an Eaton super charger. M112 which means the supercharger has a capacity of 112 cubic inches.
It's LIKE a paxton in that it has it's own self enclosed oil supply. Paxtons were designed to be remote mounted.

I'm surprised they didn't use a Bigger blower than the Eaton M112. What do those things run for boost stock anyway?

Take care,

George

Old 02-01-2011, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

Is there room for bigger?

(Recall avos uses a TS for more boost)

Old 02-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by vance580
Yea I think I've pin pointed my oil loss to the crappy oil filter that I used. I ended up getting a Purolator PureONE which is supposed to be there high end oil filter. Its also the only kind I can get locally. Well the seal on them doesnt seat when you have the filter all the way tightend so it has a very very minimal drip so not gonna use there crappy filters anymore. Probably gonna try someone else since now I will have to order it online now.
Wix makes one for the car (STR) and those ARE good filters. Maybe they even make Ford's version of this filter? You can buy a case at something of a discount.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagv8
Is there room for bigger?

(Recall avos uses a TS for more boost)
The m112 is the biggest supercharger eaton makes..... But it's a fairly poor, but cheap choice (from a performance potential perspective).

It displaces 112 cubic inches or 1.835l per rotation.

The Mercedes AMG Cars all use a whipple twin screw supercharger setup

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...sp?ProdID=1162

Notice the Biggest Eaton barely out displaces the smallest twin screw?

With an M112, you're almost at max compressor efficiency in a stock setup. There's only room for 2-3 extra PSI of boost.

With a similar physical size Twin screw you can run 20+ lbs of boost

Take care,

George

Last edited by androulakis; 02-01-2011 at 02:10 PM. Reason: I can't spell today!

Quick Reply: Broken Rod