S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying air filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 08:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Buying air filter

Hello everyone. First off this could be my first or maybe not mod to the car if anything on buying a air filter for my STR.

I am aware and yes I have looked everywhere on this forum but still debating if I should go OEM or K&N filter. I want feedback from STR owners (or non STR owners) with their experience with K&N filter

OEM - well its nothing going on there just stock part #aj8-2766

K&N - I read on here it will create issues with the sensor and read about creating low end torque on s types and XJ's as well but read good reviews on it. part #33-2273

I was going to buy the K&N but after reading all the threads its a 50/50 on which I should get but whatever i choose I need a filter regardless.

Not the hardest thread to answer so some help and info would be nice. Thank you guys

Old 06-10-2013, 08:57 PM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Go with K&N filter.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:26 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

You'll get lots of conflicting opinions with no clear winner.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:35 PM

Which is why i am asking for help. I just worried about any problems with AMF or even something else I am not aware of!!

Old 06-10-2013, 09:39 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I have been using K&N filters in both of my cars for years! The choice is yours i see no harm in either direction.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:49 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

I had the k&n for 2 years before I upgraded to the revised Mina CAI. no issues

Old 06-10-2013, 11:33 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I am using a K&N with no issues. I think the issues that people have with these filters is that they over oil them when cleaning and the oil gets on the MAF sensor.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Using K&N flat panel in the stock airbox since about a week after I got the STR a few years ago. No problems at all. Washed and re-oiled a few times already, again no issues. I use K&N on all my vehicles, which just over the last 4 or 5 years has been a dozen or so, some FIPK kits, some just flat panel OEM sized replacements (like in the STR), and have yet to have a MAF issue, sensor issue, or any issue at all related to the K&N and the oil on the filter.

Follow the instructions for cleaning and oiling and you will be just fine. Don't overdo it on the oil, and you'd really have to saturate the heck out if it to possibly cause a problem in my mind. Just follow the instructions and they are easy to use, last a long time, and to me a good value.

I hope that quells any fears you had about using a K&N in your STR.

The following users liked this post:
Glockjag (06-11-2013)
Old 06-11-2013, 09:51 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Glockjag
Which is why i am asking for help. I just worried about any problems with AMF or even something else I am not aware of!!
You can see the first handed experiences above with the K&N. I'm lazy, forgetful and cheap so just use a disposable paper filter.

Don't believe the stories about performance increase- there's zero at part throttle and only single digit differences at WOT, if any.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

K&N for over a year now without issues. +1 on the caution: too much oil = problems.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:52 AM
Received 265 Likes on 198 Posts

First thing I did when I bought the car--add K&N air filter as an economy measure.I have them on all my vehicles.No issues,but I keep a can of MAF cleaner just in case!

Old 06-11-2013, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by The Chris X
Using K&N flat panel in the stock airbox since about a week after I got the STR a few years ago. No problems at all. Washed and re-oiled a few times already, again no issues. I use K&N on all my vehicles, which just over the last 4 or 5 years has been a dozen or so, some FIPK kits, some just flat panel OEM sized replacements (like in the STR), and have yet to have a MAF issue, sensor issue, or any issue at all related to the K&N and the oil on the filter.

Follow the instructions for cleaning and oiling and you will be just fine. Don't overdo it on the oil, and you'd really have to saturate the heck out if it to possibly cause a problem in my mind. Just follow the instructions and they are easy to use, last a long time, and to me a good value.

I hope that quells any fears you had about using a K&N in your STR.

Actually it is a relieve!!!!! sometimes im so indecisive for the smallest things and especially being my first mod.
I've used K&N before on my old car (except my old 3.0) but I know how delicate our STR's are with just a minor adjustment.
Yes that's the issue I've been reading about the oil cleaning so Ill be fully aware of it.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
You can see the first handed experiences above with the K&N. I'm lazy, forgetful and cheap so just use a disposable paper filter.

Don't believe the stories about performance increase- there's zero at part throttle and only single digit differences at WOT, if any.

Well at least have a upgraded filter would be nice if I don't feel the difference in performance, its not I am expecting my supercharger to turn into a monster when I install a filter and run 10's on the strip!!!! But thanks

Old 06-12-2013, 10:46 AM
Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

The k&n was the first thing I did to my STR the week after I bought it along with the air flap delete(search for this). No issues after about a ear of use, and noticed a barely noticeable gain in power/sound.

I would recommend going with te Mina box and save yourself having to buy both.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:43 PM
Veteran member

The Mina box leaves a lot to be desired. Fitment isn't the best, and you will still suck in hot air from the motor. I've been playing around with how to close off the box best, but I am still seeing 20 degree higher than ambient temps just sitting still.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:06 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Have you noticed a decrease in power?

Old 06-13-2013, 07:45 AM
Veteran member

Hard to tell as I did a bunch of other mods at the same time. I am going to continue to refine it until I get it the way I want to.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:26 AM
Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Hey Michael, 2 questions:

1) what are you using to log data?
2). It's my understanding that the Mina setup brings cold air from behind the headlight while moving, is this true based on your data?

Being that the Mina cone filter is approx twice the size of the standard panel filter by surface area, I wonder if there is a trade off for daily driving under non boost where it looses power compared to spirited driving where the offset of more air, albeit possibly warmer air gives more power under light boost?

Old 06-13-2013, 10:00 AM
Veteran member

I have an elm scan tool using Torque to monitor air temps. Once I am driving for a few mins the air temp does go down to ambient, but as soon as I sit at a light, it will shoot up pretty quickly. I am thinking it is still sucking in hot air from the engine bay.

It does *kinda*

I'll have to take some pictures when I get home, but it doesn't seal off hot air from getting to the filter. There is a hole directly beneath the filter as well as pulling in air from behind the headlight. Also!!!! The MAF tube is actually smaller on the Mina one

The big difference is that something like the Roush CAI looks like this:

And the Mina is just a wall

Attached Thumbnails Buying air filter-402099_385x270.jpg   Buying air filter-jag_s-type_performance_intake.jpg  
Old 06-13-2013, 05:00 PM

[QUOTE=Michael Star;753733]I have an elm scan tool using Torque to monitor air temps. Once I am driving for a few mins the air temp does go down to ambient, but as soon as I sit at a light, it will shoot up pretty quickly. I am thinking it is still sucking in hot air from the engine bay.

It does *kinda*

I'll have to take some pictures when I get home, but it doesn't seal off hot air from getting to the filter. There is a hole directly beneath the filter as well as pulling in air from behind the headlight. Also!!!! The MAF tube is actually smaller on the Mina one

The big difference is that something like the Roush CAI looks like this:

Michael, I already bought the K&N. I never paid any attention to it being said of all the threads I have read about negative feedback from people with the Mina intake so now I am a bit confusing.

Quick Reply: Buying air filter